• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

Wire Fox

View attachment 755895

Troop seats cleaned and mounted up.
I'm still running timber troop seats. I'm debating about dropping in new boards or replacing the whole assembly with the fiberglass version, as some high-speed mechanic thought it was prudent to clip off the front supports that rest on top of the cargo divider and prevent the bench from sagging if someone's sitting near the driver seat.

DREDnot

I'm planning to replace the wood with fiberglass. The wood just seems out of place on these trucks. To me, the fiberglass boards are synonymous with the HMMWV.

DSCN5941.jpg

NormB

I purchased the Airbumper towing extension for my slantback as a great towing item BUT ALSO AS AN ANTI-TAILGATE DEVICE. Can hardly wait to install it. I have had experience as a rear ended driver a few times in the great city of Metropolis.

Some aggressive drivers tailgated and then hit their brakes too late when I was driving my old Durango with custom steel bumbers. I had scratched paint that required sanding and spraying. The first genius had an entire front clip that needed replacement including A/C and radiator. He also had to pay for paint to my vehicle. The second genius tried to park his new Mercedes behind me and was parking by feel. I watched as he popped his 500 clam headlight. He then proceeded to blame me, but the hospital camera caught it all. He also paid for my repainting of my scratched bumper.

I have noticed that most drivers seem to avoid the HMMWV when driving, and when it is parked. On the highway it might be because I'm limited to under 45MPH, so I stay in the right lane. When parked though, they also avoid the vehicle and leave plenty of room front and back. Not sure why, but I like it.

The rear hitch extension does not have the panache of your Claymore, but also unlikely to injure people in friendly fire incidents.

Please let me know where you purchased the Claymore. Me thinks I want one too. It looks terrific. [EDIT - I found the item on that auction site]

Best,

T

True story. When I was stationed in Augsburg, FRG sometime around 80-83 there was a case of some GI who had gotten SO tired of “the herms” tailgating (typical of American drivers, he wasn’t going to move over for ANYONE although German law requires it of slower drivers, friend of mine lost his internationaler Führerschein over this), he braced a 6x6 railroad tie out of his trunk and actually brake-checked the next tailgater with expected results. One of these days I’ll dig out the story from my collection of papers from that era.

Nothing like tooling along on the A2 between München and points north/east at 120mph to have somebody in a Lambo flasheta-flash you from miles away and blow past you around 250 just as you’re getting settled in the travel lane. They REALLY expect you’ll GTFO of the way like, RFN (RFQ for my southern friends).

I do wish American police/highway patrol would enforce such laws here.

Doing 40mph in the passing lane on an interstate where traffic flow is doing 70 should be treated with nothing less than summary execution and a carbecue/funeral pyre as a warning to others.

IMHO.

The faux claymore (pretty accurate in size, close enough anyway) came from amazon.com. I’d put it on my Christmas want list shortly after buying the HMMWV 09/16 and my wife, supportive as ever, dutifully placed under the tree. Or maybe it was Sankt Niklaus.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
True story. When I was stationed in Augsburg, FRG sometime around 80-83 there was a case of some GI who had gotten SO tired of “the herms” tailgating (typical of American drivers, he wasn’t going to move over for ANYONE although German law requires it of slower drivers, friend of mine lost his internationaler Führerschein over this), he braced a 6x6 railroad tie out of his trunk and actually brake-checked the next tailgater with expected results. One of these days I’ll dig out the story from my collection of papers from that era.

Nothing like tooling along on the A2 between München and points north/east at 120mph to have somebody in a Lambo flasheta-flash you from miles away and blow past you around 250 just as you’re getting settled in the travel lane. They REALLY expect you’ll GTFO of the way like, RFN (RFQ for my southern friends).

I do wish American police/highway patrol would enforce such laws here.

Doing 40mph in the passing lane on an interstate where traffic flow is doing 70 should be treated with nothing less than summary execution and a carbecue/funeral pyre as a warning to others.

IMHO.

The faux claymore (pretty accurate in size, close enough anyway) came from amazon.com. I’d put it on my Christmas want list shortly after buying the HMMWV 09/16 and my wife, supportive as ever, dutifully placed under the tree. Or maybe it was Sankt Niklaus.
In Texas the somewhat new law "KEEP RIGHT EXCEPT TO PASS" is now enforced on a regular basis. The TxDPS (Department of Public Safety) Trooper, Sheriffs Deputies and even local LEO's are pretty good at tagging the "loafers in the left lane".

"RAMMING SPEED ! ! !"
"AYE AYE, CAPTAIN !"

NormB

In Texas the somewhat new law "KEEP RIGHT EXCEPT TO PASS" is now enforced on a regular basis. The TxDPS (Department of Public Safety) Trooper, Sheriffs Deputies and even local LEO's are pretty good at tagging the "loafers in the left lane". "RAMMING SPEED ! ! !"
"AYE AYE, CAPTAIN !"

My sister likes fast cars. Runs a go-fast goodies shop (among other things). She set a world’s record with a Dodge Demon last year of around 210mph (officially I think it was 202 by radar), been in all the magazines.

She helps organize an annual fast-car run down I-95 from something like WPB to Miami for a Christmas toy run; she knows people. People show up in their Lambos, Maseraties, Vipers, etc., for a once-a-year chance to see 3 digits on their speedometers.

She “lobbied” strongly for years for a law recently passed in Florida making it a moving violation to drive on the interstate in the rain with flashers on.

I’d hate to be the trooper out in torrential rain risking life/limb for a ticket, but seriously, those people need to be hauled off the road in handcuffs, their cars burned to ash, licenses taken away.

Glad to hear Texas is being so proactive on getting the message to the left lane bandits.

JMHO.

Wire Fox

twisted60

Installed LED lights in the 3 holes in front bumper. Bought 2 flood lights and 2 spot lights, first arrangement is flood in the center and spots on right and left. I'm going to try it this way for a while and if its not working out I may try 2 floods and 1 spot.
IMG_0429.jpg One down, 572193785.274334.jpg Two down. IMG_0436.jpg Three down. IMG_0437.jpg Fabricated a bracket to mount switches.
Far left is spot lights, center is flood light and far right is reserved for a back up light to be installed later. They are lighted switches, spot lights Green, flood light Amber and back up is Red.

IMG_0442.jpg Normal headlights. IMG_0443.jpg Normal head lights with flood light. IMG_0444.jpg Normal head lights, flood light and spot light.

Dele16

Finally have hard blowing heat! I replaced all the dry rotted, cracked and holy air duct hoses! What a difference!IMG_0429.jpgIMG_0428.jpgIMG_0394.jpgIMG_0397.jpgIMG_0398.jpgIMG_0395.jpgIMG_0396.jpgIMG_0399.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twisted60

Looks great! What lights are those? Any link?
3.5 inch 18w led's from Amaz.. There are flood and spot available, I just went with the lowest bidder...
First test nothing worked, Hint make sure you have a good ground, second test I tied all ground wires from the led's together and went to a ground on the frame were a clamp was mounted, that's the one that worked. Make sure you have good sharp drill bits, I used the lights as a guide to mark bumper for drilling, I recommend a small pilot hole then use correct size bit for final hole. Wiring I ran along right side frame rail and up into cab thru a hole near right leg of radio tray. I used Prestolite 14 gauge wire to the switches, 24 volts to a 6 fuse box then 14 gauge wire again from fuse box to other side of switch.

Dele16

3.5 inch 18w led's from Amaz.. There are flood and spot available, I just went with the lowest bidder...
First test nothing worked, Hint make sure you have a good ground, second test I tied all ground wires from the led's together and went to a ground on the frame were a clamp was mounted, that's the one that worked. Make sure you have good sharp drill bits, I used the lights as a guide to mark bumper for drilling, I recommend a small pilot hole then use correct size bit for final hole. Wiring I ran along right side frame rail and up into cab thru a hole near right leg of radio tray. I used Prestolite 14 gauge wire to the switches, 24 volts to a 6 fuse box then 14 gauge wire again from fuse box to other side of switch.
Awesome thanks! Looks good!

Wire Fox

My HMMWV earned its keep today! I've had it as part of my backup plan for some emergency response type of stuff, and it was able to do that faithfully on the home front.

I keep one of the QP1800 inverters around for AC power wherever I may be. Tonight, the power went out at home, likely due to some high wind. Because of the rain we've had all day, my sump pump had been quite busy. But no power means no pump means a flooded basement, so I got to quick work rolling out some extension cords, firing up the HMMWV, and getting everything connected. Like the champ it is, it happily idled in place to keep my basement (and thus, my furnace and hot water heater) safe. It only had to work for about half an hour, as IPL jumped on the issue quickly and got the power back in under 45 minutes.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks