• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

obijohn

You care correct that your heater would see hotter temps taking coolant from the back of the heads. However it would take longer to reach that temperature and the benefit of the balancing the temps would not work correctly. In order to get the balance you need a very controlled level of flow. The large heater core sizes are far too large. Plus obviously you would only see the changes when the heater was on which defeats the purpose in the first place.
That's why I'd want some sort of proportioning valve that would balance the flow back to the radiator and through the core, depending on the position of the 'heat' control in the cabin, e.g., when fully shut/cold, 100% back to the radiator, when fully open/hot, 100% flow through the core, at any position in between some water flows thru the core and some flows back to the radiator.

I'm curious as to how the rear cylinder ports are utilized on a commercial install, e.g., a GM 3/4 ton pickup. Hard to believe the engine designers put ports on the rear of the heads if the only reason was to install a blocking plate.

Gear Report

Strictly a business asset management decision right now. Too much $ tied up in one asset.
I'm still very interested in MVs and see a place for one in my business. I expect that another is in my future, at some point. 😎

Sorry to see that, Gear Report, that can't feel good. Understood.

Do you think you might dive in again? You know. someday.

Are are you going to bail altogether?

Crapgame

Just tested it and worked. Here's the link again. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZevlfaLrmxM

Or take a look at Utube title: "Hummwv day 2 catches on fire LOL"

Nothing funny about loose, wiggly, clink, clank, bonk, buzz, drip on these trucks, CAMO.
Proof again to never use "feel good" parts designed by high school kids in a combat vehicle. Just like DOD mandated by law to use X amount of alternative fuels even if they cost 20x what petroleum based do, not even considering the costs to get one gallon into Afghanistan.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally got my A2 slantback the way I want it... now I have listed it (link removed)
Pretty much sucks. :(
Sorry, but I'm uncomfortable with this... Looks too much like a sales ploy IMHO.

Just read his website and it looks like supreme silliness with his building up the vehicle and then stating how he is listing it for sale BUT ONLY to someone he feels worthy, etc... Malarkey

What a disappointment. Thought this was a good guy, now, ……. :-/

Gear Report

Um. What?
I've put immense blood sweat and tears into this truck over the past year. Unfortunately, business priorities have changed and I can't justify keeping this business asset at this time. I'm not remotely happy about it.
How does joking about the buyer being worthy mean I'm not a good guy?
Sorry that trying to not be boring is a sales ploy. LoL

gtboy1986

If water pressure from the car wash will stop the fan the fan clutch is not engaging. So you have other problems. Sounds like you need to double check the plumbing of the high pressure hoses to and from the pump, fan and cadillac valve. It's a common mistake to get the hoses backwards or otherwise mis-routed. It's in the manual, I don't have it handy to look up the page, but if you replaced the steering pump you were in the right section.

Bulldogger
I check them tonight thanks

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Um. What?
I've put immense blood sweat and tears into this truck over the past year. Unfortunately, business priorities have changed and I can't justify keeping this business asset at this time. I'm not remotely happy about it.

Have someone who is objective and dispassionate read what you've written.

Then have them give you honest feedback.

When I sell a vehicle, I sell it. No build up, no 5 page long descriptions, no theatrical descriptions of "The Good, The Bad, The Ugly". No soliloquies about how painful it is to sell it. After all, business decisions are cold and black and white.

I sell with just a plain description with an "As-Is", whether I loved the vehicle or not. No grandstanding, no requirements for proof of worthiness, no theatrics.

You have the right to sell, but not to discriminate. You might want to run your long sales pitch through a lawyer, especially re.: your requirements.

In any event, my associates and I feel your advert is grandstanding.

Whatever. I don't know you [and you might just be the next best guy next to Clark Kent], but in all appearances it is... out of the ordinary behavior.

MHO...

Dock Rocker

Have someone who is objective and dispassionate read what you've written.

Then have them give you honest feedback.

When I sell a vehicle, I sell it. No build up, no 5 page long descriptions, no theatrical descriptions of "The Good, The Bad, The Ugly". No soliloquies about how painful it is to sell it. After all, business decisions are cold and black and white.

I sell with just a plain description with an "As-Is", whether I loved the vehicle or not. No grandstanding, no requirements for proof of worthiness, no theatrics.

You have the right to sell, but not to discriminate. You might want to run your long sales pitch through a lawyer, especially re.: your requirements.

In any event, my associates and I feel your advert is grandstanding.

Whatever. I don't know you [and you might just be the next best guy next to Clark Kent], but in all appearances it is... out of the ordinary behavior.

MHO...
Dude, you are barking up the wrong tree here.

First off he (Gear Report) is a guy who writes for a living. He does awesome product reviews and does all he can to use his crew to give honest feedback on actual real life use of products. Writing is part of his trade. I would expect him to make things more interesting than an average person. It’s literally what he does. Your style may be different but that doesn’t make him wrong in any way. You just lack his abilities, that’s not his fault.

Now that said I can’t think of one single person on this site or anywhere else that has done 1/10 as much as Jeff to uplift and educate the hmmwv community. He has aggregated more hmmwv specific information on his site than anyone including this site. He has put in many, many hours on this forum as well as Facebook trying to help new owners get up to speed and not make the usual mistakes. Not only has he done it in person he has saved all of that information in a library for the use of future new users. I have personally bought hmmwv parts from him and would vouch for him without a second thought. His is a good honest guy.

While you may not like the way he describes something or you may not agree with his tactics, to label him as discriminatory or antagonistic is just flat wrong. When you do something like Jeff has to uplift then entire hobby you can have an option here but right now you just look like someone who is easily offended and is operating out of his pay grade. Do a little research before you form an opinion on someone. He is good people no matter what you thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BLK HMMWV

Tobash
Just a FYI
Just because we can reply to post doesn't mean we have too.
The man has decided to sell his truck.
If you have no interest in it then just skip his post.

Thankfully we don't all talk exactly alike. Think exactly alike.
I'm trying to be completely independent.
I took his comment as an attempt at humor.
Maybe not my style but then it's not worth getting bent over.

Just saying some times it's better to just step away from the keyboard.

Best of luck with your sale Gear Report

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tobash
Just a FYI
Just because we can reply to post doesn't mean we have too.
The man has decided to sell his truck.
If you have no interest in it then just skip his post.
Not the sale of a truck that is off color. These FMV's get sold all the time. That's why this website has an awesome "Classified Section". I hope all of us who wish to sell their FMV's have success, including Gear Report.

The sale of something in any other manner than "first come- first served" might get Gear Report in trouble. He can raffle a vehicle, he can sell a vehicle, he can give it away for free, but asking people to "prove their worthiness" to own his vehicle leaves a wide open window to misinterpretation that can potentially cause him future grief. Have you read the Gear Report website and sale and terms and conditions for the sale to which I have been referring?

In any event and for whatever reason, looks like more than I had concerns... I notice the link to the website and sale was "link removed."

You seem like an OK guy BLK HMMWV [seriously], so I respectfully direct your FYI back in your direction. Maybe people don't like my post... maybe lots of people. That does not mean the post is wrong.

This is a "what have you done recently" thread, so I will leave it alone after this because this is not the correct venue. My post most likely won't change your mind or your opinion of me, and this is not the place to whip a dead horse.

Ciao

alphaseventwo

Um. What?

I'm with you on this Gear... Joking or not, wouldn't any of us here be hesitant to sell a hmmwv to someone who says that their "high-school kid's gonna love driving this." Or some other person oblivious to the inherent dangers of driving a military hmmwv- they're not toys. How many threads here get all over people for doing the slightest unsafe thing with their trucks- yet its not ok to regulate sales based on your opinion of a potential buyer? I'm trying to sell a '72 Chevy Blazer rt now- it weighs 7000lbs, all steel, drum brakes that take two legs to slow down, much less stop- I've turned away a few guys who want it for their kid, or want it for everyday driving, or have always wanted an old truck but have never owned one- IMHO its a sellers responsibility to weed out people who have a high potential of injuring themselves or others in a vehicle that is over their heads in terms of awareness, and ability to operate. These trucks just are not for everyone- even the military trains drivers in them before regular operation.

That being said, (because this is the WDYDTYhmmwvToday thread) today I upgraded my tail lights with brighter led bulbs.

before/after:

IMG_5262.jpgIMG_5263.jpg

Gear Report

Thanks.
Did you go with LED bulbs in the conventional sockets?
I switched to LED replacement fixtures on both of my HMMWVs and have been thrilled. The difference in visibility is amazing.

I'm with you on this Gear... Joking or not, wouldn't any of us here be hesitant to sell a hmmwv to someone who says that their "high-school kid's gonna love driving this." Or some other person oblivious to the inherent dangers of driving a military hmmwv- they're not toys. How many threads here get all over people for doing the slightest unsafe thing with their trucks- yet its not ok to regulate sales based on your opinion of a potential buyer? I'm trying to sell a '72 Chevy Blazer rt now- it weighs 7000lbs, all steel, drum brakes that take two legs to slow down, much less stop- I've turned away a few guys who want it for their kid, or want it for everyday driving, or have always wanted an old truck but have never owned one- IMHO its a sellers responsibility to weed out people who have a high potential of injuring themselves or others in a vehicle that is over their heads in terms of awareness, and ability to operate. These trucks just are not for everyone- even the military trains drivers in them before regular operation.

That being said, (because this is the WDYDTYhmmwvToday thread) today I upgraded my tail lights with brighter led bulbs.

before/after:

View attachment 772837View attachment 772838

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also replaced my bulbs with LEDs and have been very happy. These can be had for under three bucks each shipped. Very bright.

Mark

• Model Name: P 21/5W
  • Brand Name: RAISE STAR
  • Item Weight: 10
  • For Vehicle Brands/Model: Universal
  • Item Type: Brake Lights
  • Voltage: 12V/24V
  • Interface Type: BAY15d
  • Wattage: COB
  • Lumens: 1200

led.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

alphaseventwo

I just swapped out the bulbs. noticeable difference- planning on swapping out all the rest. Now I'm looking around for lower lumen led for black/out and side markers. The 2 leds I used for tail lights were 650 and 5000 or something.

Another Ahab

The LED's are so cool.

It's kind of amazing how fast they have made almost all other bulbs (for all purposes) obsolete.

I got a buddy who is a lighting designer (certified professional with an architectural background), and we were chatting about 2-3 years back about LED's.

He said he felt like he'd died and gone to heaven with all the things he can do now for effects, thanks to LED's.

G3isMe

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been dealing with cooling system gremlins in my M1045 A2 lately. I've changed out a thermostat, thermostatic switch, and now it looks like either a new temp gauge or sending unit is in order. I was able to use an infared thermometer to measure the engine temperature for comparison to the gauge. I shot the temp at, among other areas, the thermostat housing and it was approximately 185-190 F. The gauge on the other hand indicated the temp was at 220-235 F. I unplugged the TDM to force the fan to kick in and the temp dropped about 5+ degrees. The gauge in the truck did not drop accordingly.

1Temp Thermo Housing.jpg2 Temp TDM Fan On.jpg3 Temp Gauge.jpg

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Note gauges and sender are notoriously lacking precision. Not sure, just tap on it to get a different reading. Watch out for NO manufactures named gauges or numbers on senders. SS buddy did extensive testing between many gauges and senders with varied results. Senders seem to not follow well to changes. The whole system seem a bit sluggish to changes. If you get a good set working, keep your fingers crossed.

Close enough is good enough, CAMO

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Radio mount

Mounted the Clansman PRC-352. Had to make a bracket to mount the in-vehicle carrier for the manpack. This radio isn’t the model meant for vehicle use, but I wanted to be able to carry it, so this rig seemed best. Still need to mount the power supply and convert the loudspeaker I have, but we’ll be able to communicate at the Graves Mountain Rally later this month.
Plenty more to do, to add an in vehicle handset and antenna capable of using the 20w the 352 can put out, but we’re getting there.
Bulldogger
0A38D822-F40A-49C8-9176-CD8086076B53.jpg1F8ADA60-81E6-48A8-B3F7-2CB57F2E19AF.jpgBB4A6F60-16A9-435A-9262-582717A4CDDF.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks