• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

nickd

Way too much!

added 4 man soft top wdoors
fiberglass top (sold)
slant back w xdoors
armored turret with heavy bearing (early style)
Airlift bumper
tire carrier
extended hitch
push/crash bumper
hydraulic winch
fording kit
over sized radio rack
6.5 non turbo
high back seats
led lighting all around
mwo e break
new steering wheel(had brittle plastic)
baha tires with lots of bolts on the rims
mwo mirror upgrade
swing out fuel can carrier
exterior cargo hatch net
Along with other small bits and pieces

Last edited:

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lotsa' work.

Finally placed the HMMWV on a lift and went over all of the underside.

Ball joints ordered. They are sloppy.

Tie rod ends ordered, they are sloppy.

Fuel cell leak at decline 30 degree angle appears to be rusted line, tank getting dropped.

My transfer case linkage was loose and corroded, now my 6.2 equipped M1025 with TH400 does 70+MPH, (and in a few days I will list the never installed 2.58 pinion/crown sets in the classified section here.) Pumpkin seals not leaking.

Transfer case seals minor leak, so when I get the 700R4 I will replace at the same time.

Steering/hydraulic pump leaks, replacement arriving today.

Front driver's side boot torn, gotta find the best replacement. Kinda' remember Auto Zone sells 'em.

Wheels with 8 -bolt rims are bouncing. 24 bolt wheels with almost new tires and centramatics being placed.

New shock absorbers in.

Brake pads OK, but rotors kinda rough with mild rust. lots of steel there so I will see if they smoothen out a bit. As they work fine and stop on a dime, seems safe.

Brake fluid DOT 5 changed, (and all fluids changed).

Wheel boxes being opened and re-sealed with new grease. When I bought her I was told they have safety captures on the axle bolts, but if not I have a set to keep the vehicle safe.

Emergency brake adjustment is seized, and is being penetrating oiled. We will see how that goes.

Once all this is done and she is safe to drive, ..... maybe I will get to the A/C with under the rear tire evaporator, dual voltage alternator, spare fuel cell, airlift bumper with ratcheting spare tire carrier, inner passenger/flatbed storage removable 'wall', (maybe an aluminum cupula for the turret), re-paint, etc, etc, etc...

I own most of the accessory parts I mentioned, but they are all secondary to getting her safe to drive in the snow.

By Winter she should at least be ready for the ski slopes.
Now the fun begins...

I need a source for front tie rod ends
I need a source for pitman arm
I need a source for idler arm
I need a source for ball joints as the ones my guy has are Moog so I would prefer original manufacturer

Another Ahab

Ran myself out of fuel! That jumpy sender conditioned me to just ignore my fuel gauge. Turns out, I miscalculated how much I had driven since my last refueling and had the sheer joy of running out of fuel at a stop light. In a cascade of failures, I found that someone played with my road triangles and broke two of them, so my emergency signalling was not what I wanted. As well, I had literally just left from somewhere that I needed to use some tools, so I had removed my tool roll from the HMMWV to do that work-then was distracted while finishing the job and left it there. Normally not a big deal, but it had my fuel nozzle in it.
That's always the way it goes, right?!

The gods are STILL laughing at that one, I bet you.

A.gif

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Juan!!! How are you?

Things are finally getting done here, up North. Looking forward to finally driving this beast daily.

How are things in The Big Easy?
Hanging in there. Working now in Baton Rouge but that is just down the road... Not much progress on mine except I used it with my m101 trailer all summer at Boy Scout camp without any issues. Fun ride. They had a golf cart for their previous directors. I said nah, I got my own toy :)
Just HOT like lots of places....

Just a previous .10 from my previous world. I have not needed to do any front end work but I sold Moog for 20 years. Top of the line product and they constantly re-engineer weak oE parts and make them better. Their problem solver solutions beat OE. Typically blue synthetic boots also outlast OE rubber. I would not hesitate to use moog on any of my rides.

All the best with your wrench turnings...

Wire Fox

Now the fun begins...

I need a source for ball joints as the ones my guy has are Moog so I would prefer original manufacturer
I'm going to second Moog for the application. I'll add that one of the cage codes that pops up with the NSN for many of the steering parts is for Federal-Mogul (81851), which is the company that owns Moog (their steering and suspension components subsidiary). I think this qualifies Moog as OEM, though it's possible there may be slight variations between the parts sold commercially without an NSN and the parts sold with. Just take a look at them and make sure that the parts appear the same and I bet you'll find the standards of production are one in the same.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Dock Rocker

Now the fun begins...

Call HPG, Kascar or Blackdog. They will have what you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MattNC

Hauled out two 18" by 10' culvert pipes to the farm and installed them. Widened the atv trails to 10ft wide and ran the HMMWV down them to the ditches where they needed to be installed. It was nice to actually see how the truck performs on slopes!

I did have one question though. The first few months I was enjoying the truck too much to pay attention to the exhaust when accelerating. Paying attention to the rear view mirror a bit more I see from a stoplight I do get some black smoke especially if I get on it more but even if I nurse it off the line there is some. Cruising along there is none. I don't have a picture but its not "rolling coal" amounts but a noticeable hazy cloud that goes away once the RPMs level out at speed. The engine is running a steady 210F per the new gauge and a check with the IR gun so not running cool. Is this normal? Sorry more ignorant on older diesels. I was wondering if somebody at the base had goosed the pump a bit. Its a 93 M998 with an 87 year 6.2 NA that seems to have been rebuilt not that long ago. Runs very strong and has no noticeable blow by.

Thanks

IMG_1109.jpg

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lots of thanks to go out here...

Coincidently, my mechanic had purchased Moog [EDIT - for the ball joints], and they seem to be manufactured in USA, and that's what's going into my vehicle. I was happy to see more positive reviews here on SS.

Juan, Wire Fox, Dock Rocker, THANKS!

I used Kascar, and thanks again for this recommendation.

Friendly and helpful. And there is no doubt that they have the parts selection. I mentioned to them that this order was coming from their solid reputation on SS.

Thanks again one and all.

I'll shoot images once she is up and running. Maybe even a YouTubbie.

T

Last edited:

FKAM

I did have one question though. The first few months I was enjoying the truck too much to pay attention to the exhaust when accelerating. Paying attention to the rear view mirror a bit more I see from a stoplight I do get some black smoke especially if I get on it more but even if I nurse it off the line there is some. Cruising along there is none. I don't have a picture but its not "rolling coal" amounts but a noticeable hazy cloud that goes away once the RPMs level out at speed. The engine is running a steady 210F per the new gauge and a check with the IR gun so not running cool. Is this normal?
Mine does the same. I just figured it was normal for a de-tuned NA 6.2.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Depends on altitude and how pump was set-up. Happy medium setting of IP pump between sea level and 4000 feet. Pretty much normal for NA 6.2's. Mine too, a little puff now and then. No old school bus smoker. Take it up to higher elevations with those mixture setting and lack of air, it will be smoke city and a struggle to go.

It's what it is 6.2L NA with three speeds and a bit heavy. Put a bit of a load on it and watch the cars back off.

Fine line between smoke and GO. CAMO

Last edited:

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Installed folding steel cup holders, cell phone mount and put some grommets into the new floor insulation to act as drains. Almost ready for the drive to Graves Mountain.
And in case I hadn’t updated on it, the 28v battery charger and power supply for the Clansman PRC352 vhf radio is mounted too, shown front and center.
Not shown is the mount for the LS671 loudspeaker that I wired to the headset jack of the Clansman. The LS will mount to the middle center of the doghouse, low enough to leave room for a glove box of sorts I need to 3D print still. Getting quite a lot of crap on the ‘house, but I like it
Bulldogger

Attachments

Last edited:

MattNC

I really like the cupholders, do you mind telling where you got them from? I'll be interested in your 3D printed glovebox idea too. I have a printer and would like to try that.

Thanks also to FKAM and milcommoguy for their take on smoke. My other three diesels have either a DEF system, particulate system (tractor) or are a dirt old tractor and I wasn't sure what was HMMWV typical.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I really like the cupholders, do you mind telling where you got them from? I'll be interested in your 3D printed glovebox idea too. I have a printer and would like to try.
The cup holders are off Amazon, search for Amarine stainless 2-pack and you should find them. They appear durable though they don’t stay folded well (too tight or too loose).

I hope to remix mix the two items I chose Sunday eve and print overnight. I’m using this file and adding a coin holder into it in CAD. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:254696

Bulldogger

Daves86

Since I had Bulldogger add a second insert for the Soft Slant Back kit, decided to see how the ballistic nylon would look painted.

Painted Ballistic Nylon 1.JPGPainted Ballistic Nylon 2.JPG I like it enough I may go ahead and paint the whole Soft Slant Back kit.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks