• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is that a starter motor and solenoid, underneath the intake, impossible to repair or replace without removing the entire intake assembly?

I suppose if it's a race engine or something, expected to be torn down frequently by well-equipped professionals, one might forgive this. If it's a duty engine, meant to be maintained by normal humans, not so much.

BDGR

HUNvee

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last week I worked on a base where American soldiers were stationed. One day I went with the humvee. The American guys photographed my "well-maintained" vehicle with jealousy. They had few M998 and M1165 (still in service)I looked at their sincgars, BFT, ibistek spare tire carrier... with jealousy.
8285A7E8-0518-4601-AAE0-A74EDCB72183.jpg
They had no spare parts. :)

Attachments

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally got around to installing my X Doors. Took a lot of prep to make them reasonable for paint but oh so worth it. They also made the cabin a whole lot quieter.

Mark

pinz x doors.jpg

back end.jpg

Last edited:

Datalogger

Replaced all the belts since mine decided to remove themselves from the truck while driving to work.

Replaced some of the hood bumpers since some were either missing or deteriorating into goo.

Installed new headlights. I can finally see now!!

Spent multiple late nights chasing the leak from my passenger rear portal. The leak has gone from major, to just a small leak. Unfortunately, it appears to be the spindle seal, so I will have to tear it apart and replace that next.

Installed Mountain Machine Portal covers since I was taking the original covers off anyway.

Bought some recovery straps and D shackles to keep with the truck.

Installed some new soft doors to replace the 2 that were damaged when I bought it.

I did a lot of research on this site before I purchased my M998. I knew it would need a good bit of work, and inspection. It has definitely not let me down!

I still have many other things to do. A lift, 40’s, finish installing 10k shafts, new seats, LED bar, paint, new reflectors, etc, etc, etc.

Thank you to everyone for sharing all your helpful insight and tips!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Spent a couple hours changing the direction of a tire on the rim. 3 tires came on the truck facing the same direction, one the opposite. I took off the one of the 3 that was on the wrong side, so now the tread faces one way on one side and other way on the other (or in other words, all tires are mounted with the same face out)
2 inch ratchet strap, long pry bar, and forklift fork on a tractor, still managed to take 2 hours to do it.
Also noticed there really isn't much grease inside my tire, a little on the tire beads and the run flat surface, but none actually inside the tire where the run flat would meet the tire rubber during a flat, so now I need to find the run flat lube and take care of that issue, just in case (and probably check the other 3 tires as well)

Dock Rocker

Brake line on the rear passenger side somehow contacted the rotor and wore a hole in it. No rear brakes all of a sudden.

I got the replacement line from Kascar and did a R&R. As with just about everything on a Hmmwv it was way more difficult than it should be. I was able to practice most of the good curse words in the process.

IMG_0188.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frost0071

How long is the 1" hex steel bar? Did you thread the ends yourself? What tools did you use to thread the ends?

McReddy
Sorry for my late response. It's about 4" long and I have one 0.5" nut on each side to secure it. Yes I made the whole thing by myself.
I used a late and I had to buy me some 1/2"-20 taps. I found them on eBay.

gtboy1986

Found my leak

My power steering pump was leaking though it was one of the hoses but come to find out a bolt behind it put a hole in it not sure if its broken bolt or not chances are it's broken haven't taken it off yet to see of I can patch the hole or not

MattNC

Got a lot done the past few weeks. Finished repainting the soft top and doors using alcohol thinned behr exterior paint and spraying. It worked very well, especially using cheap duct tape in place of masking tape for the rubber seals.

Installed a radio box I built from a surplus equipment box. I cut it down in height and mounted a 12v converter in it along with the marine radio Dakota Wood mentioned here. I then added cup holders and a 12V outlet to power the fans I stuck in it for when we are stuck in traffic on a hot day.

Did all the fluids and went through the procedure of a radiator flush. This is where the thread turns to "what my hmmwv did to me." Dang bolt snapped off on the thermostat housing when taking it off to replace it. Then the easy out snapped off on that. Of course this is 24hrs before a road trip is to begin. So I had to drill it out and replace with a through bolt. Looks crappy but with some "right stuff" sealant it held. Two trips to Advance Auto and 6 hrs later I was done with the flush, new fluids and new temp gauge and sender (old one was off 20 degrees). Humvee ran as it should on a few practice trips and gauge and IR gun were pretty close. At around 180-185 the thermostat was open and at 210 the fan kicked on and it cooled within 30 secs.

So next was a 500 mile round trip visit to the outer banks fishing and having fun. Drove probably 100 miles during the week on the beach and behind the dunes going fishing, taking the kids for trips and looking for wild horses. Permit was $50 for the week. It goes without saying the HMMWV beats the snot out of everything else out there when it comes to driving out of the ruts or hard pack to explore.

It went everywhere we wanted, and my Army-vet brother in law had a blast re-living his glory days getting after it. 250 miles each way on the highway at 95 degrees out was a bit tiring but the vehicle pulled it off, never burned any oil and cycled the fan maybe once every 2-3 minutes for maybe 10-15 sec each time at 60mph. Gave it a good washdown once home.

Matt

Attachments

MattNC

We just surf fished and in the summer the water temp is too high for larger fish. My son and father in law cleaned up on flounder, croaker and spot. Made for a nice dinner. It was awesome riding out before dawn on the beach and just relaxing. Felt good after wrenching on the HMMWV for several weeks. Almost as good as getting home with no breakdowns! I'm really enjoying the truck and thinking of a 4 speed to make future road trips a little easier. My son apparently wasn't bothered with the 6.2 and 3 speed noise on the highway as he just blasted the music away most of the way on top of it. I was wearing ear plugs!

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a little light cleaning on my truck, getting it ready for the PNW Steel Soldiers rally this weekend.

Funny thing today, was walking through the Habitat for Humanity ReStore (they take donations for construction materials and household appliances to resell for those that don't know what it is) and glanced at the ratchet strap pile they had. Turns out one of them was actually a troop strap for the back of a truck, looked in new condition, so now I have a spare that only cost me $5. You find parts in some of the weirdest places.

Daves86

That switch has power to the switch but the output wire was cut, I have no idea what it was going to. Was there when I bout the truck (as was the green push button above it which is also inop)

Another Ahab

That switch has power to the switch but the output wire was cut, I have no idea what it was going to. Was there when I bout the truck (as was the green push button above it which is also inop)

Probably, not important to know, right?

Just, please, Dave86. It's never been tested. Nobody knows WHAT will happen:

- Don't push the red button....

AA.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks