• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

JoeJrTheBarber

I'm going around the body sealing holes and other access spots for wind to come through. Wind whistles through the hole in the tunnel for the parking brake mount, for instance. I've packed around it but am going to make a boot for it I think. Using black plastic hole plugs wherever I see the opportunity for them and will be making a few larger ones on my 3D printer once I get off my duff and CAD them up.
Every little bit helps.
BDGR
I did the same but I used carriage bolts in various sizes to plug up holes in the body and cab.
Don't have to worry about them popping out due to flex and vibration and when painted look like a factory rivet.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gear Report:

Please consider going to the paint and restoration section to look up Behr paint color alternatives to CARC, and then lightly sand and paint your doors to match.

Your vehicle is great, and paint will make it look that much more kick-@$$

MHO, YMMV

Last edited:

Gear Report

Gear Report: Please consider going to the paint and restoration section to look up Behr paint color alternatives to CARC, and then lightly sand and paint your doors to match. Your vehicle is great, and paint will make it look that much more kick-@$$ MHO, YMMV
lol. I get a kick out of this type of comment.
I had tan doors on the original Battlewagon for a while and it drove some folks NUTS.
Gear-Report_Project_HMMWV_Battlewagon-6.jpg
Project_Humvee_Battlewagon_4-man_HMMWV.jpg
Personally... I liked it because it was visually distinctive. ie. it made my truck stand out. It is a marketing truck. I have it to get attention for my brand.
Everyone knew when they saw the camo truck with tan doors that it was Gear Report.
Not so much when I put the green doors on it.
Project_Humvee_Battlewagon_M1102_Trailer-6.jpg

I'm kind of diggin' the same effect of the current setup.
However, the paint on the doors is getting kind of ratty. I've got enough 686 Carc Substitute to shoot the entire exterior. Just can't decide if I want to just yet. Still doing too much work to it and getting greasy fingerprints all over. I might paint the whole thing once the constant stream of upgrades and maintenance slows down. I've got some 383 green as well... so if I paint the doors could still be green. :)

Gear Report

Getting the aluminum chicken shield ready to mount before showing the truck at a Boy Scout Firearms Exposition tomorrow.
Gear-Report_HMMWV_M1045A2_humvee_military_hummer_aluminum_chicken_shield-6.jpg
Gear-Report_HMMWV_M1045A2_humvee_military_hummer_aluminum_chicken_shield-1.jpg

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Installed two newer batteries in the Hmmwv. The old Hawker batteries finally gave up. They had a 2004 date code so LOL. Installed a Solorizer and a bridge plate. I guessed the combined weight of the M998 with my M101A2 would come out at 12K. Anyone have another opinion? Have to have it right !!!

Mark

20171027_175033 (1).jpg

20190119_160645.jpg20190119_160714.jpg

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone ever put a dually Ford or Chevy rear end with the HMMWV body for use with gooseneck?

wclark4000

I don’t know about the trailer, but the GVWR of an M998 is 7700# and the curb weight of mine sits right at 5200 in the 4-man configuration (no armor) without doors. I haven’t weighed it since converting to 2-man.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone ever put a dually Ford or Chevy rear end with the HMMWV body for use with gooseneck?
You realize that the way the power goes to the wheels would prohibit that modification, or at least make it very difficult?

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You realize that the way the power goes to the wheels would prohibit that modification, or at least make it very difficult?
Actually no, I don't know. I play with 5 tons and deuce's and trailers... never had a HMMWV. Perhaps they are stronger in the rear than I thought.

AOR

The HMMWV uses 1/4 ton axles the same ones used in a Jeep CJ7 and I think some AMC cars from about 76-86 and they are problematic in them. also with all the upgraded A2 add on bumper, bracing and reinforcement plate options I still think it's limited to about 4k towing capacity.Most Gooseneck trailers weight over 4k empty. I think the suspension is just way to soft and the drivetrain is not designed to to be able to tow much weight,
Look at the newer Dodge Powerwagons and Raptor truck with soft suspension and how low their tow ratings are in comparison to the standard models. If you figure out how to put straight axles under the rig you would loose the portal reduction boxes and more than likely the Vehcile would be so tall that towing would be a white knuckle experience

Dock Rocker

The HMMWV uses 1/4 ton axles the same ones used in a Jeep CJ7 and I think some AMC cars from about 76-86 and they are problematic in them. also with all the upgraded A2 add on bumper, bracing and reinforcement plate options I still think it's limited to about 4k towing capacity.Most Gooseneck trailers weight over 4k empty. I think the suspension is just way to soft and the drivetrain is not designed to to be able to tow much weight,
Look at the newer Dodge Powerwagons and Raptor truck with soft suspension and how low their tow ratings are in comparison to the standard models. If you figure out how to put straight axles under the rig you would loose the portal reduction boxes and more than likely the Vehcile would be so tall that towing would be a white knuckle experience
Not to mention the tiny breaks. Stopping anything heavy would be something less than a treat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually no, I don't know. I play with 5 tons and deuce's and trailers... never had a HMMWV. Perhaps they are stronger in the rear than I thought.
In order to get higher ground clearance, HMMWV pumpkins are upside down. They lead out to axles that lead to a geared hub that turns another gear that eventually attaches to the rim/tire. The axles are not solid, and they rotate backwards from the tires IIRC.

A dually and 1/2 tonne and 1/4 tonne in general have axles that are solid, and that turn in the same direction as the tires and extend out to the tire/rim.

Last edited:

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In order to get higher ground clearance, HMMWV pumpkins are upside down. They lead out to axles that lead to a geared hub that turns another gear that eventually attaches to the rim/tire. The axles are not solid, and they rotate backwards from the tires IIRC.

A dually and 1/2 tonne and 1/4 tonne in general have axles that are solid, and that turn in the same direction as the tires and extend out to the tire/rim.
So is the driveshaft turning the opposite direction to a normal vehicle?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks