• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

NormB

Took mine out for a ride now that I’m about 90% certain the power steering hoses are holding, air’s all bled.

Stopped by AOR’s place for a few minutes to take a look at his “new” M998. Looks like he got a good deal. I see the “upgrade wantsies” look in his eyes. Gave him a dash light bulb and some seals for his brake lights to have on hand. Hope to use his parking lot/driveway to get the winch cable installed that’s been hanging on my garage wall for a year.

Got groceries at Giant, found an 80-something year old guy standing by my truck when I came out. Long conversation. Him a retired Army combat engineer, Korean war era, stationed in Bavaria too, although 30 years before I was, coulda stood there all day. Thanked him for his service, he returned the compliment.

Told him about the upcoming event at Cal Ripken stadium/Aberdeen and he got all excited.

Like the WW2 vets befored him, separated by just a few years, he’s one of a dying breed.

Heck, I worked with innumberable ‘nam vets when I was on active duty, those guys are looking far older than I could imagine.

In the words of one of my Nonagenerian patients, veteran of Omaha beach, “ain’t none of us getting any younger, doc.”

Going to head out again tomorrow, push my comfort levels a bit. Then change the oil when I get back.

Who knows who I’ll meet next?

riderdan

Got groceries at Giant, found an 80-something year old guy standing by my truck when I came out. Long conversation. Him a retired Army combat engineer, Korean war era, stationed in Bavaria too, although 30 years before I was, coulda stood there all day. Thanked him for his service, he returned the compliment.
Told him about the upcoming event at Cal Ripken stadium/Aberdeen and he got all excited.
Like the WW2 vets befored him, separated by just a few years, he’s one of a dying breed.
Heck, I worked with innumberable ‘nam vets when I was on active duty, those guys are looking far older than I could imagine.
In the words of one of my Nonagenerian patients, veteran of Omaha beach, “ain’t none of us getting any younger, doc.”
Going to head out again tomorrow, push my comfort levels a bit. Then change the oil when I get back.
Who knows who I’ll meet next?
Honestly one of the coolest things about driving these things around is the people you meet. Almost every time I stop for groceries, or pull in to get fuel, or pop in to the hardware store, someone wants to talk... either about their time in the service, or mine, or how their uncle Joe was in Korea and bought a MUTT and drove it around town back in the day. I'm never too busy to stop and talk, especially to old vets. One time I got talking to this guy who was in the 82nd in the 1960's (well before my time) and my wife wanted to know why I was 45 minutes late with the groceries. Totally worth it.

Dock Rocker

Installed some “air conditioning”.

I also took the MEP-003 out for some exercise and a fresh tank of fuel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Dock Rocker

WOW !
You installed "air conditioning" and now have to drag a genset behind you?!?!?!?

PLEASE tell us you didn't install 110 v.a.c. fans in your MV ! ! !

roflroflrofl
Ok. I have to say that I did not notice that when I posted it but I did actually just laugh out loud!

That said, I do have a big room air setup....Mississippi is pretty dang hot. That might work nicely for a 4th of July parade! I could put a tarp in the gen set and rock some cold air and nobody would notice!!

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok. I have to say that I did not notice that when I posted it but I did actually just laugh out loud!

That said, I do have a big room air setup....Mississippi is pretty dang hot. That might work nicely for a 4th of July parade! I could put a tarp in the gen set and rock some cold air and nobody would notice!!

Sounds like a necessary BATTLEFIELD UPGRADE to me!

I don't agree with Mr. Gore's "globular worming" theory, but you could claim to be fighting it with your former military hardware.

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had a 40 ton shackle and a couple of grinding discs. Three hrs later...A bit overkill lol

Mark

20180505_191611.jpg

20180505_191602.jpg

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please tell me you didn't place your reverse lights there to simulate the balls on lifted trucks.
LOL no I had the lights on there just to see what they would look like months ago but they are not staying on.

Mark

ExFlyBoy

Got some smoothies and a tan arctic top yesterday..... my iron curtain for my two man is coming in a week or so....... but my KDS is still on back order. Soon the beast will have her new doors, top, water tight cab and be back on the road scaring old people and putting smiles on children’s faces......

suzukovich

Of with the old and replaced with new. Old one was shot. At the same time increased the width of the reinforced roof.

Sent from my SM-J727U using Tapatalk

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What did I do today? I knocked a hole in my transfer case!

Replaced the front drive shaft’s u-joints and the rear most one came undone and smacked the t case good. A young Marine who introduced himself as a HMMWV mechanic stopped by to check on me while waiting for the tow and said “yeah, gen 1’s do that. We tack weld them”!

I’ll at least use more loctite!! It’s not terrible and I was able to fish out the visible broken bits. It’s aluminum or I’d try to weld myself. I’ve called a mobile welder who isn’t scared of it. We’ll find out if he’s any good by noon tomorrow.

Bulldogger
F472D78F-7AE7-41C7-9BCA-00DE7CA0918F.jpg

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It’s starting to be one of those weeks...

I don’t know if I should be glad that I have been able to spare the time for all these repairs, or if I should be angry that what I thought was a vacation for mostly gardening and homework has turned into nothing but humvee maintenance.

For those following along at home I had a universal joint problem which then turned into a transfer case problem. Both of those were corrected by yesterday afternoon. Unfortunately, I must have put too much grease into the slip yoke on the front driveshaft. This caused and overpressure that I guess the blowoff valve couldn’t handle. The entire end piece popped out. Thankfully I spotted it before I lost it along the road somewhere. So first thing this morning I cleaned that up, removed the driveshaft, reinstalled the end plate then tack welded it and put the drive shaft back.

THE!, one of those weeks remember, My muffler fell off. The pipe entering the muffler corroded and finally gave way. I don’t remember bumping it a lot during all the work but certainly all that stuff down there I was being interfered with.

So, a quick trip to the auto parts store on the way home got me a collar that would fit over the exhaust pipe. I cut this collar down into a ring which I then welded on the end of the muffler, lying underneath the truck, and then got it all back together again.

I am afraid to go for a check ride.

Bulldogger

Attachments

jkcondrey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dude, that's a great week so far. Lol.

I don’t know if I should be glad that I have been able to spare the time for all these repairs, or if I should be angry that what I thought was a vacation for mostly gardening and homework has turned into nothing but humvee maintenance.

For those following along at home I had a universal joint problem which then turned into a transfer case problem. Both of those were corrected by yesterday afternoon. Unfortunately, I must have put too much grease into the slip yoke on the front driveshaft. This caused and overpressure that I guess the blowoff valve couldn’t handle. The entire end piece popped out. Thankfully I spotted it before I lost it along the road somewhere. So first thing this morning I cleaned that up, removed the driveshaft, reinstalled the end plate then tack welded it and put the drive shaft back.

THE!, one of those weeks remember, My muffler fell off. The pipe entering the muffler corroded and finally gave way. I don’t remember bumping it a lot during all the work but certainly all that stuff down there I was being interfered with.

So, a quick trip to the auto parts store on the way home got me a collar that would fit over the exhaust pipe. I cut this collar down into a ring which I then welded on the end of the muffler, lying underneath the truck, and then got it all back together again.

I am afraid to go for a check ride.

Bulldogger

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks