• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

Had time lately, so got some work done to my project. Here it was in the 2 man configuration with some pretty obvious paint issues...

20160107_135439.jpg

Picked up some X-doors and a top, and painted the exterior in the Fed Stand #34086. It didn't come out totally matte, but should clean up easier.

rightpassenger.jpg

frontdriver.jpg

Got a milemarker front winch from a member here, and installed it a few days ago.
frontwinch.jpg

I have done several small things in the past week that don't really warrant pictures, but include taking a rubber mat meant for an 8' chevy bed and fitting it to the bed and up into the cab of the HMMWV, lights and mount for rear plate, sun visors, rear view mirror, changing fluids, keyed ignition, battery cutoff switch, new seat belts around, and trying to figure out the high coolant temps I'm getting. I've installed a passenger hi-back seat and the driver one will get started here shortly. Tonite, I am painting up some keyed door handles I picked up from Eberhard. No pics to share of them yet.

It's been fun and want to say thanks to all the members on this site that I've learned from in reading through the threads.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Had time lately, so got some work done to my project. Here it was in the 2 man configuration with some pretty obvious paint issues...

and painted the exterior in the Fed Stand #34086. It didn't come out totally matte, but should clean up easier.
Where and what brand of paint did you get as it looks like FS 24086 which would be a semi-gloss. If was an old gallon, was it mixed well, if not the "flatners" stick to the bottom of the can and cause that.

Where and what brand of paint did you get as it looks like FS 24086 which would be a semi-gloss. If was an old gallon, was it mixed well, if not the "flatners" stick to the bottom of the can and cause that.
The person that painted it used new PPG Shopline Jau #1. The sticker on the can says Govt Fed Spec Code 34086 and Brand code 46008. I agree with you it is much more like the 24086. To be fair, the painter tested it on the tail gate first and I gave the go ahead on using it for the rest of the truck.

Got the driver hi-back seat installed yesterday. Sure wish they designed these things for people over 6' tall. :wink: Need to get a larger fire extinguisher than what I have now to fit the bracket.

1457021841084.jpg

Also got the locking door handles put in yesterday. They fit great and the holes lined up perfectly on the X-doors. For just under $20 a piece shipped, I am happy with them.
20160303_100654.jpg

20160303_101018.jpg

Predator42

I added a little camp setup today- using the platform I built a few weeks ago, I now have an area to set up a double tent cot. Eventually I will build a rack system on the back to allow the tent and the kayak to be transported together. Just thought I would share it if you are looking for ideas.
IMG_4552.jpg

Last edited:

donkren

IMG_0460.jpgLast weekend I spent a day scrubbing ours, then armor all(ed) the top and tires to get it ready for its debut in the St. Patrick's Day Parade. I got a bucket load of sand and dirt and quite a few shell casings out of the seat wells. Afterword it looked surprisingly good. We ran it in the parade yesterday and it was a big hit. Our kids agreed unanimously it is much more fun to be in a parade than go to a parade.

Last edited:

Predator42

Tested the Cabelas deluxe double cot tent out and ended up returning it. It is a bit too large for the platform and it has a bar right down the middle that is annoying. I also didnt like the flat top as it seems water would pool there. anyway for what its worth I will be looking for another tent. possibly a roof top model like Tepui.

donkren

Who came up with the "fighter jet" costumes?
Those are so good they should have won a prize from the parade. :beer:
Our neighbor is running to retain her seat in the legislature. She and her husband came up with the signs, shirts and jetpacks, I only had to supply the truck. I jumped at the chance for the kids to be in the parade, and I secretly hoped to make a favorable impression of our hobby on her. (I'm not sure she is 100% sold, but I think her husband is shopping for his own steelsoldier.)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks