• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

Dock Rocker

Started an upper console for various switches and electronics.

Also put a Those military Guys keyed switch in. It works great but the instructions were wrong and they didn't include the unit bit that says is included.

gem1410

Got them home from Fort Dix in time for Christmas

Just got them home--Took the best one for a 30 mile ride and had AAA tow me home--lost a 1/2 shaft--I just like looking at them--good projects for nice weather--good luck to all the new humvee owners--George

Attachments

KansasBobcat

Just got them home--Took the best one for a 30 mile ride and had AAA tow me home--lost a 1/2 shaft--I just like looking at them--good projects for nice weather--good luck to all the new humvee owners--George
Just curious, was there any warning before the half shaft went out. What exactly happened? bolts come loose, etc Thanks

gem1410

At low speed coast I could feel a rumble in the left rear--when feathering the brakes I could feel it vibrate on rotation as if it had flat ball bearings or bearings coming apart--thats when I called AAA--another humvee I continued driving under same condition and the shaft stopped turning under torque at the brake rotor--It made a popping tearing metal sound as the bearings jumped around the cups--replaced that shaft--job was easy--As I read about off road humvee riding it sounds like 1/2 shafts are a common wear item--

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just curious, was there any warning before the half shaft went out. What exactly happened? bolts come loose, etc Thanks

Halfshaft failure is more due to the HS bolts backing out of the diff flange holding the HS and brake rotor on the diff.
this will eff your day up when it happens...it will take out the HS, caliper, brake yoke, brake lines and even damage the
diff internally....this can all be prevented if you perform PMCS...check your HS bolts for tightness.
even a quick visual...the distance for the loose bolt to back out from tight to caliper you contact is about 1/4in...one that happens it acts like an end mill and slowly takes it down till it cuts the yoke in half...also, remember...these bolts are metric and require metric lock washers and red locktite...also you can use Nordlock washers and locktite.
i get these trucks in the shop all the time with loose or missing HS bolts.

oh, and while your at it under the truck checking that, check the bolts that hold the caliper bracket to the diff and if you
can, the bolts that hold the diff to the diff hangars...these 8 bolts do come loose if locktite was not used on a previous repair....I,just had a truck last week that was finger loose and rattling around.

Lawdog734

I don't mean for this to be an "I told ya so", but more to help others who are also going down this road to new HMMWV ownership.

It's easy to get excited with a new toy and immediately want to take it for a spin to "try her out" when in reality, this isn't the best course of action. There's no telling how long these have sat before DLA turned thdm over to IP/GP, so it behooves us to go over these trucks with a fine tooth comb before taking it for anything more than simply moving it in the driveway. Ted G was nice enough to write up a nice checklist of things to do when you get that new toy home. A lot of the info is already part of the PMCS for these vehicles, but there's a lot of anecdotal info from those who've been down the road before us that helps too. One of those things is to check the half-shaft bolts. If you'd have gone through the list, there's a more than good chance that this could have been prevented and thus saved you considerable headaches.

Considering we have typically 30 days or longer of waiting for EUC's to clear, we don't have any excuses for not doing our research beforehand.

KansasBobcat

Also don't forget about the HS bolt inside the hub. Replace lock washer EVERYTIME you remove it. Stuff a rag just below the bolt when removing it AND have a magnet attached to the socket to extract the bolt and washer.
Great advice! I dropped the lock washer in the hub but able to fish it out with some wire. Not a happy time. Ted: what would happen if it stayed in there?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks