• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

Ajax MD

"LIGHT TACTICAL TRAILER COMPLETE"

I finished the trailer today. 1st few pics "Before" Following pics are "After" the completed project and ready to go for a test drive to test new Surge Brakes.
I notice that you don't use a Rhino tire carrier. How do you get the tire up into the bed by yourself?

twisted60

Put a new gasket on drivers side valve cover, took a while to get everything out of the way but its doable just gently lift injector lines out of the way. When I put it back on and torqued her to bout mid range on torque spec range, I started her up went for a short drive and she was oozing oil when I got back, cleaned her up and found where she was leaking so I had the fun of re torquing the cover.
Also changed the fuel filter and separator, that was easy. Little dirt in filter bowl, all clean now.sWWWBY8bT1mF69zgURs1aQ.jpg4cC4xutSSeOoSJmnPkzWcA.jpg

twisted60

So my humvee had been starting slow lately, granted it has been cold here got down to 66 the other night, (I'm in Florida and 70 is jacket weather), so I rolled under her today and started checking my glowplugs....Set my multi meter at 200 ohms 5 tested off scale and were declared bad, all plugs currently installed tested at 2.3 ohms. She starts up quick now, just like before.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Went for several drives through the snow today.
First one was decent, but some idiot kept trying to straddle the center of the highway at 20mph when people were trying to pass him, he almost ran me off the road (and if I had been in something smaller I'd likely have some damage to the left side of my vehicle from driving through the pile left by the plow)
the right lane was strips of wet pavement, left lane compacted snow.

Second trip had my son with me, took it easy, roads were still mostly wet pavement. A couple hours later after dropping off my son coming home, roads turned into compact snow with various idiot drivers going way too fast in the left lane.

Now just got home from heading halfway to a customer's house then getting told they didn't need me tonight. The turn around spot just happened to be a big empty parking lot.
I didn't know you could do actual donuts in one of these trucks.
Then I drove to an occupied part of the parking lot (walmart still open) someone pulled up beside me and we talked for a few minutes. Turns out he bought one of the first surplussed HMMWVs about 20 years ago. He painted it yellow and rhino lines the inside, but I still told him about this website.
Truck handled just fine on the roads, as the roads were all compact snow with a decent layer of fresh snow on them.

My truck is still wearing the MT tires, 70% or more tread, and weighing in at over 9k lbs due to the BEOD on back with tools and parts. Rear end does break free sooner than the front, but not by much when I'm using the brakes.
Below pic was when there was only 2 inches of snow, last I measured was about 10 in the yard, but some of it drifted in off the trees. Neighbor 1/2 mile away only had about 6.
d5f7ea7dd311a004810c5420d6e3952d8e0b9fe1-4.jpg

(edit to add: I did take a corner on my own road too fast and slid off into a barbed wire fence. Caught the passenger mirror with the top of a T post but just folded the mirror flat against the truck. The brush guard got a few scratches in it from that as well, but no other visible evidence. Fence belongs to my uncle but appears nearly undamaged, so likely don't have to fix it)

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Put a new gasket on drivers side valve cover, took a while to get everything out of the way but its doable just gently lift injector lines out of the way. When I put it back on and torqued her to bout mid range on torque spec range, I started her up went for a short drive and she was oozing oil when I got back, cleaned her up and found where she was leaking so I had the fun of re torquing the cover.
Also changed the fuel filter and separator, that was easy. Little dirt in filter bowl, all clean now.View attachment 825308View attachment 825309

don’t use a valve cover gasket...the factory does not, they will leak immediately, as you found out.
the torque listed in the TM is DTM “direct to metal”

dilvoy

I have tried a 2 man soft top, a 4 man and a full soft ambulance soft top and my X doors all close fine and all the way with any of the above mentioned soft tops. Hope that helps.
If you look at the top front corners of your hard doors, you will notice that they are in contact with the windshield, unless you have replaced the rear soft top style brackets on each rear side of the windshield with the one piece type.

keith s

Okay I'm a Newbie
just got a m1123
fixed two fuel leaks.

i have got
glass , wipers and hardware
spare tire
jack
luverne brushguard
back seat caps
rear seat belts
4 man conversion kit
tailgate
cargo partition
either in, or on order.
thinking about getting a radio deck with undershelf for storage.
also thinking about mounting ac condenser on cargo partition.
any opinions or suggestions?

IMG_2695.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks