• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Installed the key switch. I wanted it accessible but out of view, so it went under the heater switches.

I'd have to try really hard to find a bigger pain-in-the-butt place to put it. :cry:

But it's in. I'll give it a try tomorrow- too beat from a full day of work and I'm growing to really hate getting the passenger seat out to connect/disconnect the batteries. Am I the only one that has so much trouble getting that seat back in?

Switch1.jpgSwitch2.jpg

OBX

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Camo on the transfer tank
Your tank looks like it belongs there. It’s a nice installation that may inspire more Humvee owners to do the same. Diesel fuel was first to sell out last year at the beginning of the fuel shortage in my area. We didn’t have any availability for about 10 days, which was totally unpredictable. That experience inspired me to get the 78 gallon tank I will soon install on my M1152, bringing total fuel capacity to 103 gallons. No one can predict what dilemma the Master of Disaster in DC will cause next, but having a 1300 mile range of diesel on board is one more box I can check off.

Last edited:

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Spray painted the tires so they'd actually look black for once.
Then took it through a parade.

Had the Washington State VFW Color Guard in front of me, and in the truck were
McCleary City Mayor.
McCleary VFW Post Commander.
District VFW commander for my area
WA State VFW Commander.

292004168_5253413091445352_8342612167966818290_n.jpg
292225494_5253413198112008_8409157186034069808_n.jpg
293069188_3141308039454227_7894140696720211014_n.jpg

NormB

Well, I tried posting this a couple nights ago but my neighbor’s place has so little cell phone reception even with a MiFi Verizon gadget I couldn’t get enough throughput to post.

Got the HMMWV down to TN Thursday, 759 miles, 12 hours door to gate, my buddy driving half the distance at about 90 mph (8-10 mpg the whole trip, 13 coming back with the trailer empty, it weighs about 7k). Pushed the limits of the Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins‘s turbine getting up and over the Cumberland pass on I40, but we got there.

I drove it off the ramp and into the pasture for a quick spin.

I’ve driven that pasture with a Tacoma, a Yamaha Grizzly 600 4x4 and my Ram, and there’s bumps, rocks. BIG bumps, like ones my dog goes airborne when I hit ‘em.

In all my local driving here in MD since buying the M1038 6 years ago (?), and in past deployments with the Army, I’ve only ever driven on/around airfields, paved or flat dirt (washboard) roads in a HMMWV.

I remember there being bumps in my pasture. BIG bumps. There were no bumps. I ran it up to 45 for fun. That suspension is AWESOME! I felt like a kid again with a new toy.

We drove back yesterday (one day down, one day unpack, big box hardware store trip, one day back), I’ll be packing my 6x12 trailer and heading down for a couple weeks shortly. Meet with cabinet installer, flooring guy, putting door into tornado shelter/arms room, driving around the property a LOT.

What a relief. That much closer to retirement/ forever home.

Attachments

OBX

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I tried posting this a couple nights ago but my neighbor’s place has so little cell phone reception even with a MiFi Verizon gadget I couldn’t get enough throughput to post.

Got the HMMWV down to TN Thursday, 759 miles, 12 hours door to gate, my buddy driving half the distance at about 90 mph (8-10 mpg the whole trip, 13 coming back with the trailer empty, it weighs about 7k). Pushed the limits of the Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins‘s turbine getting up and over the Cumberland pass on I40, but we got there.

I drove it off the ramp and into the pasture for a quick spin.

I’ve driven that pasture with a Tacoma, a Yamaha Grizzly 600 4x4 and my Ram, and there’s bumps, rocks. BIG bumps, like ones my dog goes airborne when I hit ‘em.

In all my local driving here in MD since buying the M1038 6 years ago (?), and in past deployments with the Army, I’ve only ever driven on/around airfields, paved or flat dirt (washboard) roads in a HMMWV.

I remember there being bumps in my pasture. BIG bumps. There were no bumps. I ran it up to 45 for fun. That suspension is AWESOME! I felt like a kid again with a new toy.

We drove back yesterday (one day down, one day unpack, big box hardware store trip, one day back), I’ll be packing my 6x12 trailer and heading down for a couple weeks shortly. Meet with cabinet installer, flooring guy, putting door into tornado shelter/arms room, driving around the property a LOT.

What a relief. That much closer to retirement/ forever home.
God bless you! Enjoy your well deserved retirement. I applaud the life your have control of. I on the other hand (as possibly others following this thread), have yet to completely deliver the various commitments I am morally and honor bound to achieve. Slowly but surely, I am moving forward with ambitious and noble desire to complete daily responsibilities of suburban existence. I diligently strive for an honorable completion each day, knowing tomorrow brings new challenges I can’t with certainty foresee. May God bless each of us with the strength and willpower to maintain mental and physical vigor to overcome whatever challenges may lay ahead.
I will, God willing, someday soon be able to achieve retirement. I pray God gives me life to enjoy seeing those I have nurtured and supported excel in honorable wisdom and societal contribution. That, with a hot cup of tea in my hand while sitting on my porch in the morning will be my life’s reward. As a simple man, I ask nothing more… But I will enjoy running around in my Humvee!

Last edited:

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I changed my oil and filter on my non runner M1165 while I’m waiting for my new injection pump. I put new o-rings and crush washer on the oil filter adapter because I think I had a leak. I put some dye in the oil to help me trace other leaks if I have them. I think the dye will make it easy to find leaks. Pictures don’t really show how bright orange it is. Oil that came out was very diluted with fuel I think. F4F2A5B4-5151-454B-AC53-9DC29FA7FC33.jpeg03C402D7-0C44-4BD2-A72B-5E5ACA2D4E57.jpeg

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today I drained most of my fuel tank. Probably 15 gallons and I got maybe 12 out before I put the plug in. Fuel looked clean coming out. I will be installing a new injection pump and I want to start with new fuel and filters. That plug in the tank is weird and I thought it was melted because it was so soft. I don’t know how I will dispose of the fuel yet.
When I removed the oil filter adapter yesterday I had to remove the top carrier bearing bolt and loosen the lower to give me enough room to get a socket and ratchet in. That bolt was gorilla tight. I used a 36mm socket but I think 35mm would be better.

Last edited:

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today I drained most of my fuel tank. Probably 15 gallons and I got maybe 12 out before I put the plug in. Fuel looked clean coming out. I will be installing a new injection pump and I want to start with new fuel and filters. That plug in the tank is weird and I thought it was melted because it was so soft. I don’t know how I will dispose of the fuel yet.
When I removed the oil filter adapter yesterday I had to remove the top carrier bearing bolt and loosen the lower to give me enough room to get a socket and ratchet in. That bolt was gorilla tight. I used a 36mm socket but I think 35mm would be better.
If the diesel is clear, there is nothing wrong with it, use it for a parts cleaning tank or add it back into your tank…good diesel is a commodity now.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the diesel is clear, there is nothing wrong with it, use it for a parts cleaning tank
If the diesel is clear, there is nothing wrong with it, use it for a parts cleaning tank or add it back into your tank…good diesel is a commodity now.
I strained it thru a coffee filter and put it in my perfect M1123.
You know what I did notice is when I lowered my carrier bearing on my M1165 is that the u-joints don’t line up. The front u-joints are at a 45* compared to the others on that shaft. I don’t think that’s right and I have never seen it in anything that I have owned. I am not impressed with the Melton rebuilds!

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I strained it thru a coffee filter and put it in my perfect M1123.
You know what I did notice is when I lowered my carrier bearing on my M1165 is that the u-joints don’t line up. The front u-joints are at a 45* compared to the others on that shaft. I don’t think that’s right and I have never seen it in anything that I have owned. I am not impressed with the Melton rebuilds!
You are correct the U joints should line up, I could be wrong but I thought the splined slip joint was keyed to prevent this.

Gamble

So, I got the dash installed and it has been a pain in the ass. The bulk of the work is done but there are still some significant fitment things I need to work through. If anyone is thinking about buying one of these hit me up and I'll give you the things you need to be aware of before you squeeze the trigger.

Attachments

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, I got the dash installed and it has been a pain in the ass. The bulk of the work is done but there are still some significant fitment things I need to work through. If anyone is thinking about buying one of these hit me up and I'll give you the things you need to be aware of before you squeeze the trigger.
How long does it take to get to the back of the engine?

Gamble

How long does it take to get to the back of the engine?
So the dash is basically two parts. The long piece that spans the width of the truck and the dog house cover piece which has the passenger friendly electronic chargers and cup holders. That piece goes on top of the existing dog house cover. It's secured by thumbscrews. You simply twist them out and then you can slide that piece off. It's a tight fit but once it's off you then remove the standard dog house cover and you're in.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ultimately, is it worth the advertised $7k?

Gamble

Ultimately, is it worth the advertised $7k?
Well that's the million dollar question isn't it.
The answer is......it depends. Objectively speaking the design itself is outstanding. It's innovative and modern. It gives the truck a whole new feel. It allows for the installation of a modern framework in a truck that never had an option for it. Now, let's talk about the objective downsides. The dash was designed for the m998 through A2 platforms. The base trucks. The dash will not fit on trucks with the 6.5 turbo. It also doesn't fit well with trucks with the gunners platform for the turret. It also needs tweeks for those of us who bought the automatic RAAMS mobile doors. Plan B needs that information in advance so they can alter the dash for fit. Once the dash is in it looks and feels great. The quality is great and takes the HMMWV platform to the next level.

Now back to the original question. IN MY OPINION, all dash panels for all cars are grossly over priced. Take a look at the price of H1 interior trim panels to see the point. That being said, the design is innovative and the craftsmanship is solid. So, if youve decided to upgrade your truck with other components, lifts, doors, custom rims and tires, custom paint, carpet etc. Then the dash is worth it. However, if you're using your truck solely as a workhorse, then in my opinion it's not worth it. My truck had no armor holes and a clean body when I got it from auction. I essentially made the decision somewhere along the way to make it a 'relative' street queen. I don't off-road it and it just accompanies me to the range over some light broken terrain. It does some light duty work but that's it.

Just my .02 and every man's intention with his truck is his own.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks