• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guy was selling this switchbox I want to repurpose for the 12v bus, and it came with an IR light. I had no idea where that bracket mounted the light to so I didn't really even want it- even tried to get him to keep it to bring down on the price. $40 shipped for both.

Then yesterday I was on base and stopped to drool over the active duty HMMWVs and there it was - the IR light right on the front of their M1151.

Mounted it today. I won't connect it to anything but it looks right.

IR1.jpg

IR2.jpg

IR3.jpg

IR4.jpg

Last edited:

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I drove back over to the other base to get some better pictures.

None had front winches and none had spare tire carriers. Several had rear winches.

BangorVs06.jpg

BangorVs07.jpg

BangorVs08.jpg

BangorVs10.jpg

BangorVs11.jpg

BangorVs12.jpg

BangorVs14.jpg

BangorVs15.jpg

I have no idea what this gauge is:

BangorVs09.jpg

Some of the turrets have one of these glued to the inside:

BangorVs13.jpg

Last edited:

jake20

Finally got to finishing the camo on my 1043, though I fudged a spot on the hood and need to sand / respray a small area. Was a little hard to reach (probably should’ve just raised the hood) and I sprayed too thick of a layer of brown, so it left a very odd shiny spot.

Other than that, painting went perfectly.

Materials:

- Harbor Freight $15 HVLP gun
- Rapco 383 Green/Brown and 911 Flat Black
- 5 parts paint to 1 part xylene mix for dilution

Since I was free handing this, I had my phone in left hand with reference pics and sprayer in right hand with the fan setting narrowed for a smaller area of spray. Can’t complain other than my hood mistake lol

Now to find the stencil fonts and spray all my markings back on.

EDIT:

Rough total of paint used:

- Green 90oz (entire truck was painted green first)
- Black 36oz
- Brown 12oz

These values are the total fluid through the gun, which includes the xylene dilution. It really did not take much paint.

Attachments

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was playing with the rivnut tool in preparation for going camping this coming weekend at the NorthWest Overland Rally. The ones in back will all be for recovery gear. The 50 cal cans in the cab will be snacks and hygene, and the 40mm can bolted to the radio tray will be registration and tools and whatnot.

e6d4d4bd9edf9f69eefbea7c0b821bbd7fafb138-1.jpg
8abaa972d7c59cb950dc8c46ce52868db45c55c1-1.jpg

jake20

I was playing with the rivnut tool in preparation for going camping this coming weekend at the NorthWest Overland Rally. The ones in back will all be for recovery gear. The 50 cal cans in the cab will be snacks and hygene, and the 40mm can bolted to the radio tray will be registration and tools and whatnot.

View attachment 899586
View attachment 899587
I should probably keep my paperwork in the vehicle too but last time I got lit up the cop was more curious about how to get one himself 🤣

I’m a little paranoid about keeping paperwork in a semi-half-kinda-locked-but-not-really vehicle as well lol

Where’d you source the big cans from? I see some potential ideas with those as well.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I should probably keep my paperwork in the vehicle too but last time I got lit up the cop was more curious about how to get one himself 🤣

I’m a little paranoid about keeping paperwork in a semi-half-kinda-locked-but-not-really vehicle as well lol

Where’d you source the big cans from? I see some potential ideas with those as well.
The 40mm can has eyelets for locks, and the bolts holding it the tray are nylocks, and the can blocks the front radio tray bolts. It will be time consuming for someone to break in and steal from it. Mostly I need the registration out of my wallet because it takes up too much space (along with several trailers I tow, etc)

The big cans were sourced from a friend of mine up here. I just happened to get a few of those cans before he decided he wanted to keep the rest of them.

He has his own little private military museum and does occasional events there. Next door to the museum is his surplus store, where he sells off a bunch of the stuff from lots he purchased for specific items.

He personally owns several 5 ton trucks and multiple other vehicles, including a WWII Jeep he uses for parades and stuff.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks