• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

M1165A1

Ground disconnect if you are killing all power to the vehicle.

Hot side disconnect if you are using it as a power switch for the item, same as any other hot electrical circuit you want to turn off.

For my winch I put a breaker on the hot side. Some people say yes, others say no when it comes to winches and breakers, but I've always put some type of thermal disconnect (fuse or breaker) on every hot wire I add to an electrical system.

Thanks for your view. That bit on hot for the disconnect is what I would have done too but it seems a number of 4WD sites say negative. I am going to disregard that nonsense as internet stupidity.

And I am in the camp of "no" on breaker or fuse. With potentially a 500 A load at peak, I feel like I will trip the fuse/breaker no matter what happens.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for your view. That bit on hot for the disconnect is what I would have done too but it seems a number of 4WD sites say negative. I am going to disregard that nonsense as internet stupidity.

And I am in the camp of "no" on breaker or fuse. With potentially a 500 A load at peak, I feel like I will trip the fuse/breaker no matter what happens.
24V has half the amps.
My 12k lb milemarker electric is rated for 185 amps on 24V at full load. The 12V version is 370 amps.

On a 12V system, especially if it's a single battery, you're going to be drawing it down quite a bit on a longer pull, and the more the voltage drops, the higher the amps will be. On 24V it's not going to be as bad with the dual batteries to make 24V.

I've done a few pulls, but haven't maxed it out, and have enough rigging that it's unlikely that I will need to (4 pulley blocks, 150 feet extra line, multiple straps, etc)

Autonomy_Lost

If someone says disconnect the negative they are probably just confusing the fact that you are supposed to do so for a battery disconnect as Coug said.

If you are gonna opt for no fuse, I suggest that you install the disconnect as close to the battery as possible (electrically speaking) and leave it off when not in use. Any length of live +24V cable thats not fused is a risk of your truck burning down, so keep that length as short as possible.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So when I go out wheeling with a group I use a GMRS walkie talkie.
Problem is, the truck is so loud I can't really hear when other people are talking, or at least not clearly.

I didn't see anything obvious in the radio section and web search didn't show a whole lot specific to what I was searching (it's probably out there but I couldn't find it)

I'm wiring up a 671 speaker and H250 handset to my walkie talkie in order to be able to hear it. Speaker/handset came in the mail today, and the cut off end of the cable for the speaker showed up saturday. The plug was from the wrong end of the cable or something, as it was missing a wire for pin J the "push to talk" circuit.

Found some wiring diagrams on this site for the speaker/connector.

For the walkir talkie side it's a Baofeng, which uses a K1 connector (Kenwood type 1 connector)
diagram for it was here:

Picture below is from my quick and dirty testing. bought a cheap cable with a 3.5mm plug on one end a 2.5mm plug on the other, and cut it in half to give me the two cables I needed out of the radio. A milwaukee 18V battery for a power supply, and my son walking around outside for testing purposes. Everything worked how it is supposed to, from the speaker, handset earpiece, microphone, and PTT button. Can't wait to get it properly spliced together
All the wiring is just temporary for testing purposes. I'm not used to working with this small of wires, so I have some low temp solder heat shrink connectors for it on order, as well as regular solder and heat shrink.
b0375f9daacde6535ff613b261c6a7ccc3cfe07a-2.jpg

Now just to figure out where to mount it that it won't be in the way of all the other crap I've put in there, but still be readily usable.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So when I go out wheeling with a group I use a GMRS walkie talkie.
Problem is, the truck is so loud I can't really hear when other people are talking, or at least not clearly.

I didn't see anything obvious in the radio section and web search didn't show a whole lot specific to what I was searching (it's probably out there but I couldn't find it)

I'm wiring up a 671 speaker and H250 handset to my walkie talkie in order to be able to hear it. Speaker/handset came in the mail today, and the cut off end of the cable for the speaker showed up saturday. The plug was from the wrong end of the cable or something, as it was missing a wire for pin J the "push to talk" circuit.

Found some wiring diagrams on this site for the speaker/connector.

For the walkir talkie side it's a Baofeng, which uses a K1 connector (Kenwood type 1 connector)
diagram for it was here:

Picture below is from my quick and dirty testing. bought a cheap cable with a 3.5mm plug on one end a 2.5mm plug on the other, and cut it in half to give me the two cables I needed out of the radio. A milwaukee 18V battery for a power supply, and my son walking around outside for testing purposes. Everything worked how it is supposed to, from the speaker, handset earpiece, microphone, and PTT button. Can't wait to get it properly spliced together
All the wiring is just temporary for testing purposes. I'm not used to working with this small of wires, so I have some low temp solder heat shrink connectors for it on order, as well as regular solder and heat shrink.
View attachment 903630

Now just to figure out where to mount it that it won't be in the way of all the other crap I've put in there, but still be readily usable.
To add to the above, here is where everything goes without having to figure out the wiring diagrams for yourself:

Pinout.jpg

Side note, the H250 handset is noise cancelling or something like that (it's just not very loud when speaking into it, but I've heard it said other places it's "noise cancelling") so you have to have it actually touching your lips when you're talking into it or you won't be heard on the other end.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Figured I'd drop this:

https://www.disco32.com/

I have a few of their components, good quality stuff, I run their PTT setup for my Peltors to work a Baofeng UV-5/8 comms setup. They might have something worth looking at.
I just went through their site. Lots of great products, but also a lot of them are kind of spendy.
I didn't see anything that would function the same as what I did above, but it's a great resource for other types of setups.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Made the trip to pick up the M1097A1 it was a very uneventful trip, it was 102 on the highway so I cut the old girl some slack and ran only 70 loaded on the way home, with over 300K on her she has nothing to prove, Diggy Dog enjoyed the ride.
I don't think we will be seeing any more HMMWVs come out of Lytle in the near future as this was the only one there, lots of generators.
EDIT I am really starting to like that ATTBAR top, although not as heavy duty as the AMTECH tops.

Attachments

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Made the trip to pick up the M1097A1 it was a very uneventful trip, it was 102 on the highway so I cut the old girl some slack and ran only 70 loaded on the way home, with over 300K on her she has nothing to prove, Diggy Dog enjoyed the ride.
I don't think we will be seeing any more HMMWVs come out of Lytle in the near future as this was the only one there, lots of generators.
EDIT I am really starting to like that ATTBAR top, although not as heavy duty as the AMTECH tops.
Things are a little clearer now, I knew the harnesses had been cut in many places and she was picked over pretty well.
I found paperwork showing the Harris County Sheriff's DPT had turned in this M1097A1 into DLA for disposal.
So they just went out and stripped anything they thought they could use on other HMMWSs and cut every wire in the process which is not the norm with trucks coming out of the military, although I am sure it does happen.
But I did see the damage, I picked it up mostly for the top and back doors, but the body is straight as a pin and the rolling chassis is in nice shape!

CharlieB

Steel Soldiers Supporter
95% of transfer cases are aluminum housing,
As far as chain goes, it’s just a connector between two gears nothing else, in fact if you examine 242, it would have been so much easier, tiny bit costly and probably forever solid unit. If they added the 3rd sprocket to make it a gear drive instead of chain drive.

see attached picture, take the chain out of occasion and imagine another gear in between those two

View attachment 902783
Would need 2 more gears, with only one it would spin wrong direction. That could be nice though!

CharlieB

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Its my understanding that chains are stronger than gears. When two gears interface, they only make contact with 1-2 teeth at a time. Whereas a chain wraps completely around a gear and utilizes many more teeth.

Edit: google says I'm wrong, but not sure why. Maybe the chain itself is the weakness.
Probably that or the fact that it stretches as pictured earlier 🤷🏻‍♂️

frauhansen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
few reasons why I chose gear oil instead of ATF,

i drive a lot, my transfer case gets hot, I had to replace the ATF every 15 to 20.000 miles, it was cooking inside and envaporating
I had enough of that, gear oil a lot more heat tolerant than ATF.

gear oil is also a lot quieter than super thin ATF

Gear oil has cushion factor, AFF does not.

I have thoroughly checked and inspected the 242 transfer case before I made the decision to go with Gear oil, this transfer case is no different than any other transfer case that uses gear oil,

In California warm weather conditions ATF doesn’t do the job for me, gear oil is much better for all the gears and bearings inside, and that’s all it has in there .

I am using generic gear oil form NAPA

I put a brand new transfer case in 2020, last week it has about 60.000 miles on it, you see chain was stretched, it also destroyed the cooling loop inside, thankfully I always bypass the cooling loop on all my trucks, otherwise all that aluminum shavings would of killed my transmission.
Without a cooling loop, it’s a 100% isolated unit, no need to keep using ATF.
View attachment 902746View attachment 902747View attachment 902748
If I may come back to this topic again briefly.
What viscosity do you use in the case of the GearOel?
Any additional specifications? Or do you take there 80W90 from the axles?

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I renewed my hatred for split-loom this week, finally getting the radio installed.

Harris XG-100M multiband. I was gifted this radio rack with shock isolation. The radio didn't fit between the uprights so I took the top off an flipped it upside-down and mounted to the flat surface. The radio went into the bracket, and the whole assembly went under the right rear seat. I had to fab up some way to mount the assembly to the seat bolts to keep it up off the floor to stay dry.

The antenna cable was run from the Duke, through the rear wheel well, and through the antenna cable grommet behind the seat.

RadioRack01.jpg

RadioRack02.jpg

RadioRack03.jpg

After that I remembered how much is dislike running wire. I put the control head on the shelf with a ram mount and mounted the speaker under the shelf.

RadioRack05.jpg

Made a few contacts on 146.52, and hit a few repeaters. I had to adjust the mic gain a bit, and fixed a few programming bugs I introduced. On the road the radio has the punch to be heard over the noise, but I'll be wiring in some headsets. Still working out where to hang the mic.

rcamacho

Preparing another X door for paint. Upper corner of window frame was damaged. Rebuilt the structure with resin & glass mat. Got very close to original lines and finished off the low spots with filler.

Pulled off the supplemental armor to get after corrosion before final paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

rcamacho

Completed reinstalling the rear differential assembly post rebuild. Lots of work on a spare time basis.

Replaced rear driveline universal joints.
New pads and rotors. Rotors were warped.
Took the opportunity to replace RR brake line which was compromised.
Flushed and bled all 4 corners with DOT5. Existing fluid tested partially silicone so figured it was safer to just flush everything. Lots of contamination in the system (particulate).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks