• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

M1165A1

Finally completed my winch installation, the wiring.

The hardest part was deciding where to hook in to tap power. Two obvious choices: under the vehicle on the starter, or back in the battery compartment under the commander's seat.

I opted to run the positive lead back to the 24V post on the second battery. Doing so allowed me to install a Flaming River 500A disconnect switch, meaning the winch wiring has no power unless I am using the winch. That seemed like a prudent safety precaution.

IMG_3492.jpg

The winch (Sherpa Steed 17K model in 24V) comes supplied with a control box that mounts on the back of the winch itself. I attached the control box and ran the power and ground wiring along the right frame rail, up and over and down via the radiator compartment. Ground went to the ground on the starter.

IMG_3490.jpg

Note that Sherpa supplies the winch with 25mm2 wiring, equivalent to 4 AWG, and the wires are nowhere near long enough to work on a HMMWV given the distance to the battery. So I upgraded the 25mm2 to 2 AWG (32mm2) tinned marine wire by Ancor. It kind of fit into the control box with a little persuasion and seems very nice high quality stuff.

Sealed all the connections and also the control box wire entrances with some healthy globs of RTV 734.

For control, I splurged on the wireless controller. An old license plate frame laying around the garage provided a mounting plate to some existing holes on the frame extension. At some point I will have to trim off the extra 3" on the plate holder with a grinder.

IMG_3491.jpg

Remote for the unit, which allows you to be mobile while winching and also stay safely out of the winch danger zone:

IMG_3493.jpg

I tested it by winching HMMWV #2 across the driveway using HMMWV #1 as an anchor. It was a lot of fun.

One last thing to do tomorrow after I change the oil on my SUV: I need to take some of the used oil and soak the winch cable to prevent rust over the winter.

HoveringHMMWV

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finished wiring up a dedicated 12v accessory On/Off switch and Auxbeam system for those accessories. Was able to access the firewall through the speedo grommet for the switch. Pulled power for the Auxbeam system and controller off of the rear battery with the included breaker for safety. Located the system box and breaker with an additional controller fuze in the empty space aft of the slave receptacle. Chose the green illuminated controller because it matched the LED instrument lighting. First was the reverse lights in place of the rear blackouts. Soon will be charging ports, CB radio, intercom, dome lights, camera, etc.....

tempImagensifwr.png tempImagepbriMx.png tempImagen18ZoA.png tempImageqRG3Pl.png

Last edited:

rcamacho

Starting work on ECV hood fiberglass repair. So many cracks

1st order of business is repairing bonding between support structure and panel. Support structure is cracked almost everywhere. Using 3 layers of glass to repair structure. Ordering 3M Panel bond to address a few areas where main panel separated from adhesive. Added a few rivets as insurance to keep the structure attached around the grill area where it failed. Used resin to re-bond there as an experiment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Eslurf

Couple weeks ago, I nearly met with an accident on the way home. My hydraulic fluid leaked out completely apparently and I couldn't take my exit. truck wouldn't turn at all. No power steering. Smacked into the road divider curb with my front tires. Hydraulics were screaming something fierce. Took a lot of muscle to turn the steering wheel and limp back home. Luckily brakes were ok. What happened was, the alternator pulley was rubbing against the hose going from Cadillac valve to cooling stack and air got in. Foaming fluid and everything from the reservoir. :cry:
Anyways, yesterday, my friend JamesJustice (thanks JJ) came by and replaced my Cadillac valve hose. Alls good now.

71417557742__6A4D9C65-B940-4F28-AB37-F85CA3B53CDD.jpeg
71417495817__CB621E35-6C6A-4343-B25C-465136BCE182.jpeg

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Couple weeks ago, I nearly met with an accident on the way home. My hydraulic fluid leaked out completely apparently and I couldn't take my exit. truck wouldn't turn at all. No power steering. Smacked into the road divider curb with my front tires. Hydraulics were screaming something fierce. Took a lot of muscle to turn the steering wheel and limp back home. Luckily brakes were ok. What happened was, the alternator pulley was rubbing against the hose going from Cadillac valve to cooling stack and air got in. Foaming fluid and everything from the reservoir. :cry:
Anyways, yesterday, my friend JamesJustice (thanks JJ) came by and replaced my Cadillac valve hose. Alls good now.

View attachment 905391
View attachment 905393
4 letters come to mind….PMCS
“preventive maint checks and services”
I can’t stress to folks to perform post and pre-flight checks on these trucks.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter

View attachment 905391
View attachment 905393
looks like you're missing a belt or two also, As RWH said maintenance is key!!

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do a fluid check every couple months. But thanks. You’re right. PMCS! 😎
Engine oil at every fill up…these older IDI diesels can burn quite a bit of oil, check belt tension while hood open, grab your fan blade and see if the WP shaft is failing, check the coolant level visually through the bottle with a flashligh…

98Non-Turbo

I got some LED bulbs in the mail today and put them in the brake lights and front turn signals of my M1123. Here's a link to them on Amazon:

LUYED 12-24v Super Bright Low Power !10 x 650 Lumens 1156 1141 1003 3014 54smd Led Light bulb Use for Back Up Reverse Lights,Brake Lights,Tail Lights,Rv lights White https://a.co/d/heYsREU

They are at least twice as bright as the old bulbs that were in there.

They are 1156 with the single contact. The ad says they are good for 24v. We'll see what happens.

I then polished the lenses on the brake lights. I used a harbor freight headlight polishing kit. I only used the finest grit sandpaper and buffed them with polishing compound.

They turned out pretty nice.

The front lenses are cracked and will need to be replaced.IMG_20230907_185430149_HDR.jpgIMG_20230907_190334519.jpgIMG_20230907_190326230.jpgIMG_20230907_191002845_HDR.jpgIMG_20230907_191159447.jpgIMG_20230907_184546460_HDR.jpg

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter

View attachment 905391
View attachment 905393
This happened to me when a hose burst. You need to remember how do emergency driving eslurf.

I had no difficulty because I remembered to keep the vehicle rolling to make turning the wheels easier, and to upshift and downshift the transmission to assist with braking. I had minimal issues and made it home safely.

These transmissions are made not just to accelerate but also to allow you to downshift and decelerate. Very handy when coming down steep mountains, but also very handy if the brakes or the brake assist fail.

HoveringHMMWV

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finished wiring up a few more 12v accessories. I added a 3-port auxiliary power bank (multiple PD/QC USB's and cig lighter) mounted using a spare B-pillar strengthening panel. A Uniden Bearcat off-road compact CB is strategically attached behind the vertical face of intercom panel. The CB is paired up to an AS-3900 antenna using 20' of UHF coax. SWR's ranged approximately 1.9-2.1 throughout the range of channels. Will organize the wiring once the installations are fully complete.

tempImageimjcoN.png

Last edited:

ryolse

View attachment 902221
I really like the look of the slant backs but you can't beet the helmet tops for leaks etc.
It also has rear doors that is handy as I already have front doors for the DuraVee.
I really like the look of the low profile helmet top over the "standard" helmet top, guess now I will have to get rid of the Detroit, nobody needs two helmet tops
Great find!

You could... always just drop your ATTBAR top off to me ;) ;)

It's my favorite and I'd rather buy a HMMWV just for that top alone

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great find!

You could... always just drop your ATTBAR top off to me ;) ;)

It's my favorite and I'd rather buy a HMMWV just for that top alone
I love that top, dang shame Harris county did such a poor job stripping that truck and ruining all the harnesses as it really is a straight truck in great physical condition.
Number 3.jpg
So I just picked up another parts truck (2007 M1097R1 the disease continues :ROFLMAO: ) that has all the electronics I need and it has all the stuff to set it up with a 2 door soft top, troupe seats etc. even has a tire carrier! and a running GEP 6.5L, the body and frame are pretty bad but between the two I will have a decent little beach runner.
1.jpg
I guess I will be busy over the winter for sure, might need to thin out my other projects.

Last edited:

rcamacho

I love that top, dang shame Harris county did such a poor job stripping that truck and ruining all the harnesses as it really is a straight truck in great physical condition.
View attachment 905979
So I just picked up another parts truck (2007 M1097R1 the disease continues :ROFLMAO: ) that has all the electronics I need and it has all the stuff to set it up with a 2 door soft top, troupe seats etc. even has a tire carrier! and a running GEP 6.5L, the body and frame are pretty bad but between the two I will have a decent little beach runner.
View attachment 905987
I guess I will be busy over the winter for sure, might need to thin out my other projects.

tgejesse

Why looks your old tires so unevenly worn?
It is the rear, driver tire... HEAVILLY warn on the inside compared to even wear on all other tires. Have not yet had time to look into what caused it, but I'm open to ideas if people have had this issue before. The truck has 40k miles on it, while armored.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks