• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

OBX

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since installing fixed position windows in both rear doors, no window tracks exist for inside door handle assembly attachment. Rectified that by making attachment brackets from 2” angle aluminum, sourced at Home Depot.
Only couple hours start to finish with hand tools and 10/24 fasteners. Functions perfectly.
Also, cut to fit horse stall mat for bed area, sourced at Tractor Supply.

701EB6C3-C156-45BD-8B03-8901AF83006F.jpeg54A08678-7416-4E0C-B072-BAEE86F6607C.jpegAAA092CE-1A70-4685-AD73-32703F1B0C47.jpegA6B81D2C-E1CA-4BE3-9545-467A74A78988.jpeg fDF2E338C-10E0-4E06-8DD1-5111C8A5D4F8.jpeg

Last edited:

HookEm

20231027_214840.jpg
Picked up a 2003 1097 with 42 original miles, which I hope doesn't turn around to bite me. A forklift operator was kind enough to dent the oil pan right under the pickup so my first order of business was replacing the pan. Next step is to install a radiator and see if this thing runs!

jake20

View attachment 909160
Picked up a 2003 1097 with 42 original miles, which I hope doesn't turn around to bite me. A forklift operator was kind enough to dent the oil pan right under the pickup so my first order of business was replacing the pan. Next step is to install a radiator and see if this thing runs!
Just go into these expecting to replace anything rubber. I usually pull off the hood and cooling stack, and then replace all the rubber hydraulic lines, coolant lines, etc, inspect pulleys, change balancer and crank pulley. LeroyDiesel.com has good quality balancers and billet aluminum pulleys that aren’t made in China. Don’t get the delco branded balancers for $150 nowadays.

My personal truck is an A2 series, just make sure you verify the engine serpentine style before you buy parts. They’re identified as pre-litens and litens series. Anything above serial 196401 is litens

As far as critical safety, make sure to check your geared hub spindle nuts and ensure all brake components are good. Welcome to the fun!

Attachments

HookEm

Just go into these expecting to replace anything rubber. I usually pull off the hood and cooling stack, and then replace all the rubber hydraulic lines, coolant lines, etc, inspect pulleys, change balancer and crank pulley. LeroyDiesel.com has good quality balancers and billet aluminum pulleys that aren’t made in China. Don’t get the delco branded balancers for $150 nowadays.

My personal truck is an A2 series, just make sure you verify the engine serpentine style before you buy parts. They’re identified as pre-litens and litens series. Anything above serial 196401 is litens

As far as critical safety, make sure to check your geared hub spindle nuts and ensure all brake components are good. Welcome to the fun!
Thanks for the advice, definitely putting all new rubber while I've got it stripped down.

Your rig is awesome, love the setup. I have all 2 seat variants and haven't gotten to the point of upgrading yet.

20231024_222141.jpg

Last edited:

CHEVYMADMAN

Finally decided to drop the trans on my truck and change the flexplate. I had issues where occasionally the starter wouldn’t engage the flexplate teeth and just grind them down further. This spawned from some start switch issues many months ago. Needless to say I drove around with a 1” wrench to manually bar over the crank for about a week, not cool trying to leave a parking lot with everyone staring after your starter screeches :p

On top of chewed up teeth, I think my old plate was bent too. So the combination of it sitting further from the bendix gear along with the already chewed up spots just made it a perfect pain lol

Along with replacing the flexplate, I changed the trans input seal, torque converter o-ring, and replaced all the old trans cooler lines

I threw in pics of the old vs new, you can see how much closer the ring gear sits to the bendix with the new plate
any tips when pulling the trans?

jake20

any tips when pulling the trans?
Read from this post:

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been holding out for warm weather to repaint the Duke CIED antenna green to match the truck, but warm is gone here. Yesterday was borderline so I disassembled it, painted it, and carefully put it in the garage to dry.

Here's a shot of the no-ground-plane dual band ham radio antenna as it looks inside the tube, and the reassembled antenna back on the truck.

DukeGreened1.jpg

DukeGreened2.jpg

Godspeed131

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a few days off this past week, using floating holiday’s before loosening them at the end of the year. So between helping the parents building a sunroom for them and farm chores, I got to get a few things done on the truck.

Had the heater core shut off valve go out so I dumped the valve for a simple ball valve. Moved on from that to tackle getting a back wall on the truck. I had a soft top set up in the conex so I welded up a piece of angle and added turn fasteners, to interface with the factory hard top and the rear soft curtain. Also Installed a two man cargo bulkhead from that soft top set up. Turned out good enough for this guy, at least for now until I find a attbar top. After that I tackled the steering. I changed out the pitman arm and idler arm, man the pitman was slap wore out. Now it’s finally time to get to the alignment.

Finally the last thing, especially now the temps are dropping, the glow plug side of the PCB let the magic smoke out some time before I re-homed this truck. So after weighing out all the options out there, the best one for me was calling up our very own Cam at camotek. He was great in helping out, although I knew the pcb was 100% the issue, I liked the fact he wanted to troubleshoot before just taking an order and making just another sell. After all was said I placed order for the standard camotek box on Wednesday afternoon and today at noon it showed up. I got in installed and was back in business. Would have taken pics but most know what the pcb and the camotek box looks like lol and the install was cut a paste.

Attachments

M1028A1ShelterCarrier

View attachment 909160
Wow and I thought the starter had to come out to do this.....Those bolts next to the starter must of been tight to reach?

HookEm

Wow and I thought the starter had to come out to do this.....Those bolts next to the starter must of been tight to reach?
I did have to remove the 2 rear bolts and pushed the starter to the side for installation. I used a new felpro seal in the rear but made the gasket from black RTV as it came from the factory.

20231031_212753.jpg

Got an aluminum radiator installed and found cheap AGM batteries with a 4 year warranty.

20231101_213355.jpg

20231104_211701.jpg

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I finished installing, plumbing up and wiring the custom bumper, brush guard and modified rear winch mount with the MM H12000 hydraulic winch on the front of DuraVee today.
When they say no two HMMWVs are built the same they mean it, I built this to the exact dimensions of the Detroit without the grossly over sized bolt hole usually found on HMMWV accessories, everything was just a little off.

When I built this setup I was a little too high with the brush guard, the turn signal lights did not look just right and the top rail was just high enough to give me some glare from the headlights, it was just really forward thinking, I knew one day I would install it on a truck with a 2" body lift and that would make it PERFECT.

That's my story and I am sticking to it!!!

As usual it has wired and wireless controls, and a switch to disable power to the receiver so some stray RF I might encounter along my travels will not cause a catastrophic failure.

The Duramax engine has an integral oil cooler so I used the 1/2" tube engine oil cooler for the transmission and the 3/8" tube trans cooler for the steering so I do not think I will be burning out the P/S pump as can be done otherwise with a hydraulic winch.

Now I need to find the right size insulator for the one that is broken on the motor terminal of the SEC12 12K MM electric winch for the rear and get that project completed.
Diggy D.jpg

msnow387

B13F27E7-C0FC-47C3-BDC3-B9A9A49CC5B3.jpeg
Picked this up in TX. Installed a radiator, repaired some hoses, and installed batteries. Started right up. Had to use my wife’s Armada to pull the trailer out of the shop to unload. Took a couple test drives, and I am thoroughly happy with the truck. I enjoy seeing what everyone is doing with their’s, and I look forward to updating mine.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 910377
Picked this up in TX. Installed a radiator, repaired some hoses, and installed batteries. Started right up. Had to use my wife’s Armada to pull the trailer out of the shop to unload. Took a couple test drives, and I am thoroughly happy with the truck. I enjoy seeing what everyone is doing with their’s, and I look forward to updating mine.
Welcome!!!

Caactus

Went to do a little wrenching on someone else’s vehicle but ended up dead in the water after it was discovered the planned Cupola doesn’t appear compatible with the existing hatch. (Sigh) Some accessories not compatible with other assemblies. I suppose if it was easy, it wouldn’t be as fun. Crazy the differing directions people go after obtaining these things. Some (like me) want to keep them in some OEM configuration while others seek a completely different vision. There were 6 of us parked at a car show yesterday and I took this picture of the two ends of the spectrum on the way out. Honestly, I like them both…IMG_0740.jpeg

frauhansen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
nice, but i think
Went to do a little wrenching on someone else’s vehicle but ended up dead in the water after it was discovered the planned Cupola doesn’t appear compatible with the existing hatch. (Sigh) Some accessories not compatible with other assemblies. I suppose if it was easy, it wouldn’t be as fun. Crazy the differing directions people go after obtaining these things. Some (like me) want to keep them in some OEM configuration while others seek a completely different vision. There were 6 of us parked at a car show yesterday and I took this picture of the two ends of the spectrum on the way out. Honestly, I like them both…View attachment 910391
nice, but i think this belongs to this therad here.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks