• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter

HUMMER H1

Looks great, would not work with full doors though, at least on the passenger side
its attached to A Pilar,
Full doors can open as long as limiting strap is shortened just a tiny bit.
. I could have made the bracket so the mirror could stay further back passed the A Pilar, maybe I’ll do that 🤷‍♂️

my next project is building removable upper-half for those doors

Atchuuu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
its attached to A Pilar,
Full doors can open as long as limiting strap is shortened just a tiny bit.
. I could have made the bracket so the mirror could stay further back passed the A Pilar, maybe I’ll do that 🤷‍♂️

my next project is building removable upper-half for those doors
Truck colors looks great. I love the color.

Last edited:

HUMMER H1

Looks great, would not work with full doors though, at least on the passenger side
Mogman
I did some measurements and you are correct, with full doors it would touch the mirror even if I shortened the limiting strap a little bit.
So I made a different bracket that mounts the mirror passed the windshield A frame and it sticks out 2 inches less.

frauhansen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
nice work, but why?!
Do they really look better to you? I don't think this modern plastic style suits the HMMWV.
I mean, you only have half doors anyway. So the view of the original mirrors is not impaired.

HUMMER H1

nice work, but why?!
Do they really look better to you? I don't think this modern plastic style suits the HMMWV.
I mean, you only have half doors anyway. So the view of the original mirrors is not impaired.
when I bought my truck it didn’t have mirrors,
I had two options, stick with original or go with modem ( original is very flimsy design in my opinion, large mirror attached with two tiny top positions vibrates all the time.
It requires tools to adjust the mirrors,

this modern style mirrors are very sturdy and easy to adjust, no road vibrations.
H1 has vertical mounted mirrors, they look pretty good I think.

I am building upper half of the doors 😁 it will be full door truck

by the way humvee also has plastic mirrors they are just painted green 😉😉

IMG_2964.jpegIMG_3349.jpeg

Last edited:

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
nice work, but why?!
Traditional HMMWV mirrors suck. Hard to adjust passenger side without assistant. Big. Blocky. Shaky. essentially they are the same mirrors on 1960’s school buses.

It’s not about looks, it is about function. Any modern retractable mirror is an improvement IMHO.

SmartDrug

Looks like an enterprising thief could make out with about $100k in doors in a few minutes with a set of tin snips and some basic hand tools... of course, the two decades in the Federal Pen might stink.

Atchuuu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
when I bought my truck it didn’t have mirrors,
I had two options, stick with original or go with modem ( original is very flimsy design in my opinion, large mirror attached with two tiny top positions vibrates all the time.
It requires tools to adjust the mirrors,

this modern style mirrors are very sturdy and easy to adjust, no road vibrations.
H1 has vertical mounted mirrors, they look pretty good I think.

I am building upper half of the doors 😁 it will be full door truck

by the way humvee also has plastic mirrors they are just painted green 😉😉

View attachment 911674View attachment 911675
They look great! Nothing wrong with customizing parts especially when it is an upgrade.

Atchuuu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have finally finished nearly all of the prep work on the exterior of the truck. Interior is already done. As soon as it warms up I will be painting HMMWV black.
Then will be replacing all the shell connectors, installing Blue Ox soft top and Western Kentucky Hard doors.

Attachments

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have finally finished nearly all of the prep work on the exterior of the truck. Interior is already done. As soon as it warms up I will be painting HMMWV black.
Then will be replacing all the shell connectors, installing Blue Ox soft top and Western Kentucky Hard doors.
Looks great BUT when sanding and prepping I typically cover all air intakes.

frauhansen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Traditional HMMWV mirrors suck. Hard to adjust passenger side without assistant. Big. Blocky. Shaky. essentially they are the same mirrors on 1960’s school buses.

It’s not about looks, it is about function. Any modern retractable mirror is an improvement IMHO.
The mirrors are no worse than the whole HMMWV itself ;-)
But they may be, but I find modern mirrors as out of place as carbon stripes.
Okay, in this case the paintwork of the truck is already different and doesn't claim to be original.

HUMMER H1

The mirrors are no worse than the whole HMMWV itself ;-)
But they may be, but I find modern mirrors as out of place as carbon stripes.
Okay, in this case the paintwork of the truck is already different and doesn't claim to be original.
ok why do girls do boob job ? Lol
sometimes original is not good 😊

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks