• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

osteo16

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finished fabrication of adapter bracket that can mount Silverado mirrors to humvee .

those mirrors are 75 dollars at Amazon, manual adjustable, I took out the back section where it was supposed to attach to Silverado door, it’s triangle shape.View attachment 911599View attachment 911600View attachment 911601View attachment 911602View attachment 911604View attachment 911605View attachment 911607View attachment 911608
Use care when working with parts on your roof.. Shingles can get slippery 😂

hrbergeron

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Recently picked up a brand new OEM Warn HMMWV winch. Originally I thought it was for the front, but it turns out it's the rare one for the rear. It also appears to have twice the cable as a front 12k. The control to make it free vs engaged is on the back. Just putting these pictures here for those curious. I mounted it on the front because I had already installed a rear hydraulic winch from an M1114 on this truck. I had to move the spool tensioner to the back instead of top. Because I put an ECV radiator in this truck I had to raise the front and put a sleeve on the lower radiator line. Had the front rollers off another truck that I used for this.

Attachments

Atchuuu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Received Western Kentucky fiberglass doors and prepped them for paint. Very happy with the service and quality of these doors.

Painted bottom of hood, radiator, around air cleaner intake and painted shackles. Will paint exterior as soon as weather cooperates.

Attachments

HoveringHMMWV

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had the common dirty turbo from a leaking o-ring. Changed the output o-ring and snowman gasket. Cleaned up the rust and almost finished reinstalling. Will cure the paint on the vehicle tomorrow according to instructions while testing for leaks and then reinstall heat shields. Also gave me a chance to clean up the engine valley and clean out the plugged drain hole.

IMG_2628.JPG
Update: Yesterday, I finished installation, tested for leaks, and successful test drive.

IMG_2630.jpeg

Last edited:

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As posted on my Project Joshua M1165 log, spent the last five days filling missing fluids, purging air, and bypassing the oil cooler. Did this all “free range”. Healthier mechanic garages yield healthier rigs according to People for the Ethical Treatment of Automobiles.

IMG_1634.jpeg

peggrw

Managed to get a 1993 M1097 for free a few months ago. Four HMMWVs were dumped by a military contractor at a aluminum scrap yard a relative operates so we grabbed a couple to tinker on. Worked on the oldest first. Only had to change fluids, clean the fuel tank, replace power steering hoses, new AGM batteries, a Starter wire bypass, and glowplugs. Starts up great in single digit temperatures and I can't find anything that doesn't function as it should. Use it on a daily basis, getting to places on our WV mountain property my little 4WD ATV fears to go. Often run it up and down the mountain roads just to exercise it, but since we have no paperwork the vehicle will never be titled. So other than having a winch on the 2025 Christmas list I doubt there will be any significant upgrades.

HMMWV M1097.jpg

Last edited:

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Decided to get the 1151A1 weighed so I could reduce my yearly tabs. I figured it would drop to 5000-6000 lbs. Nope, right at 8,000lbs. Dang thing is heavy.
Here is a picture from the summer trip to an OHV. Great fun was had driving thru mud and water, and exploring dysfunctional trails and hills. View attachment 913146
A stripped down A2 variant starts at 6k lbs. With a hard top, rear hatch, aircon, heavier frame, and everything else yours has over that, I'm actually surprised it's only 8k lbs.

belted_guns

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great feedback. I went to Brakes Plus and they were able to get me on the lift and run an alignment check. All 4 tires were out of alignment toe-out, but ok on the camber and caster. They were able to zero the toe for 3 of four but that problem tire adjustment rod was not moving (-1.16). We tried heat, 6ft helper bar, pen oil. RetiredWarHorses is sending a new rod assembly so I can simply replace and adjust. (Thanks Steve).

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great feedback. I went to Brakes Plus and they were able to get me on the lift and run an alignment check. All 4 tires were out of alignment toe-out, but ok on the camber and caster. They were able to zero the toe for 3 of four but that problem tire adjustment rod was not moving (-1.16). We tried heat, 6ft helper bar, pen oil. RetiredWarHorses is sending a new rod assembly so I can simply replace and adjust. (Thanks Steve).
Last time I took mine in for an alignment, the shop also had issuers with one tie rod not moving. Made me a little nervous when they broke out the torch and still couldn't move it.
I took it home, loosened the clamps on the adjuster and moved them completely out of the way, then alternated between heat and penetrating oil.
Took about 10 minutes work to get it moving, without having to use a cheater bar.
Much less stress/hassle to just replace the stupid assembly and be done with it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks