• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

TNDRIVER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last time I took mine in for an alignment, the shop also had issuers with one tie rod not moving. Made me a little nervous when they broke out the torch and still couldn't move it.
I took it home, loosened the clamps on the adjuster and moved them completely out of the way, then alternated between heat and penetrating oil.
Took about 10 minutes work to get it moving, without having to use a cheater bar.
Much less stress/hassle to just replace the stupid assembly and be done with it.
The correct tool also helps with tie rods. Hint "it's not a pipe wrench" . They actually make a tire rod wrench that hooks into the split in the end of the tie rod helping to "open" it as pressure is applied. They are not too expensive for occasional use quality. Just my 2 cents.

belted_guns

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last time I took mine in for an alignment, the shop also had issuers with one tie rod not moving. Made me a little nervous when they broke out the torch and still couldn't move it.
I took it home, loosened the clamps on the adjuster and moved them completely out of the way, then alternated between heat and penetrating oil.
Took about 10 minutes work to get it moving, without having to use a cheater bar.
Much less stress/hassle to just replace the stupid assembly and be done with it.
RetiredWarHorses is sending me a new rod assembly. I will replace the assembly. I may have been able to spend the effort to correct it, but now I should have a clean solution. Plus, it is in the 40s and raining now. too cold to persuade the assembly to cooperate.

frauhansen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yesterday i removed my front windows and sealed it in again with Dirko. I know, thats not the way it should be, but i had a lot of water the last days in my car and i had to stop this now!
E6CEE5D7-9BE2-4B34-8C3B-DE34B83F7F05_1_105_c.jpeg
here in combination with the washer fluid

So i sealed the glas into the rubber sealing and placed a line of dirko on the back of the rubber sealing bevor i put it back into the frame.

Over all.. i replaced the heater blower an a fried of me rebuild it. So so, in the winter i'm back with a reain sealed windshield and with a functional heater/defroster.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Yesterday i removed my front windows and sealed it in again with Dirko. I know, thats not the way it should be, but i had a lot of water the last days in my car and i had to stop this now!
View attachment 914107
here in combination with the washer fluid

So i sealed the glas into the rubber sealing and placed a line of dirko on the back of the rubber sealing bevor i put it back into the frame.

Over all.. i replaced the heater blower an a fried of me rebuild it. So so, in the winter i'm back with a reain sealed windshield and with a functional heater/defroster.
The defroster is blowing bubbles?
Guessing you mentioned Washer Fluid...

frauhansen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No... i had to wash the wind shield during the rain. And so the rainwater mixed with the washer fluid.
The bubbles are a nice side effect.
The water ingress was so strong that there was a small pond in the frame in front of the pane. And I soaked my left leg every time I made a right turn.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
No... i had to wash the wind shield during the rain. And so the rainwater mixed with the washer fluid.
The bubbles are a nice side effect.
The water ingress was so strong that there was a small pond in the frame in front of the pane. And I soaked my left leg every time I made a right turn.
Sad but true.
Same thing happened on my M936 until I bought some NOS rubber seals for those front windows...

Yessir, the bubbles were pretty cool looking.

Dave2018

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Christmas Parade near Houston. Wanted to be bringing up the rear in my MV. The lady saw it was an entry for veterans and put me number 5, behind the chamber of commerce. Nice parade about 1 hour long. A walking parade. Bob and Junior riding on my brushguard.

FlameRed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well with me the M998 is definitely one step forward, three steps back. :eek: Lots of frustration.

I completed some of my "winter" assignments now that the Florida Inferno has abated 🔥

• Replaced all the v-belts as a maintenance item.
  • After a lot of trial and error with different belt sizes, I got all the v-belts properly routed to accommodate the aftermarket AC. All slots on all pulleys now filled and driving accessories finally!
  • Replaced the fan clutch hose with the quick disconnect one - which makes belt changes for the future so much easier!
  • Upgraded the 60 AMP generator with a 200 AMP
  • Replaced the power steering pump while I was in there since I saw drips of fluid
  • Replaced most of the hydraulic lines with new stuff since some looked pretty original 30 year old ones.
  • Found that the squealing noise I had was the squirrel cage blower that gernaded. It was just easier for me to replace the entire aftermarket evap assembly than to find replacements. Cheap Chinacapulance! If it goes again - I'm getting a Red Dot.
  • Experienced certain electrical gremlins. I really thought I had rodent problems. But no evidence of mice. Weird things like:
    • Wait light stopped working.
    • The dash lights stopped working. Turns out it was grounded apparently where the dash harness goes through the bulkhead above the steering wheel where I could not (easily) get to them. I just rewired to 40# harness and now repaired.
    • Certain accessories I had installed stopped working. What a PITA. Problem turned out to be a partially bad fuse! Never had a fuse that was not blown that only passed limited voltage. Replaced the fuse and all good.
  • Replaced the LAU Glow Plug controller at the recommendation of the forum members here. Wait light still does not work. Cannot figure why the wait light still does not work on the new one. Most glow plugs seem to be working.
  • I tried to replace the glow plugs as a maintenance item. Previous owner said he did them - BS! Replaced 4 successfully and stopped. I butchered two. One was frozen and the "bolt" head disintegrated on the wrench! Another was rusted into the head and would not budge and so I just left it. Guess it is time to look for someone to R&R the heads - beyond my level of comfort.
  • Upgraded to the US Shift remote display tranny controller.
  • I did not notice I accidentally left my manual fan clutch switch in the disabled position and ended up boiling the engine over! Luckily no damage! Now it has an LED light on it so hopefully I will notice next time.
  • Installed a 12k rear hitch
  • Installed a new stereo with a 15" display.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dropper mine off at a garage willing to swap the transmission and transfer case. Had gathered everything to do it myself but other obligations continue to delay me and it's too cold now to do it myself. I hope to get a highway-ready HMMWV back in a week...
BDGR

peggrw

Any upgrades to my 1993 M1097 will likely fall under the "Poor Boy" modification category...

A 100lb piece of firewood slamming into the back of the drivers seat on the way down the mountain really gets your attention. This scrap 2x6 will do for right now. A 2x10 would have been better but wasn't going to town just for that.

Cargo board.jpg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Any upgrades to my 1993 M1097 will likely fall under the "Poor Boy" modification category...

A 100lb piece of firewood slamming into the back of the drivers seat on the way down the mountain really gets your attention. This scrap 2x6 will do for right now. A 2x10 would have been better but wasn't going to town just for that.

View attachment 914325
Wow... You were lucky!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks