• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

TNDRIVER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
why do you say that? I've dropped it over 10dbs so far without to much work now you can talk at 55mph without yelling. seems like another 10dbs is doable without pulling the body.
I respectfully disagree. I've made a big difference with my truck with pretty minimal effort.
Ear plugs or David Clarks are so much easier !

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
David Clark's are great but I run Flightcoms in my truck along with a Softcom 4 place intercom. Sure quiets down the noise.

Mark

s-l1200.jpg

Jinx

"What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately"

First off, thanks for asking!

I'm working on my auction fresh M1114. Found the nipple side for the quick connect off the power steering hose was missing and got that replaced. How they consider it a quick disconnect when it's located on the inside of the fan shroud is beyond me. My hands barely fit. Almost would have been easier to remove the radiator.

Attempted to replace the serpentine belt but I bought the wrong size and removed a lot of unneeded parts in the back. (jerry can mounts, ammo can mounts, turret platform/stand) and then I did a whole lot of cleaning.

On the up side, i think I have enough surplus bolts that were scattered throughout the truck to cover the rebuild.

frauhansen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi.. the quick connect für the fan clutch is a pain in the ass. But more easy to reache from under the car.
You do not have to disconnect the fan for changing the serpentine belt.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi.. the quick connect für the fan clutch is a pain in the ass. But more easy to reache from under the car.
I always thought that was funny, the V belt trucks that could use the quick connects normally do not have them and the serpentine truck that do not need them usually suffer from leaking quick connects which is their downside.

Autonomy_Lost

I always thought that was funny, the V belt trucks that could use the quick connects normally do not have them and the serpentine truck that do not need them usually suffer from leaking quick connects which is their downside.
Having had both, the first time I changed a serpantine belt I premptively disconnected the quick connect fitting first, which was a pain in the ass because it was stuck. Then I realized I didnt need to do that and was like you GOT to be kidding me!

Jinx

My truck was missing the fan side of the disconnect so I had no choice. Never thought about reaching it from under the truck. My arms have the bruises from reaching through the fan to prove it. lol

It's amazing what parts are scavenged off the trucks before they are surplussed. I'd think requisitioning a new disconnect would have been far easier than pulling one off another truck.

CapePrep

My idea on how to deal with add ons. I like clean wiring and not seeing anything. Bought the ammo can online and just cut with hole saw and cut off wheel. Not looking to get ripped, just help others on how to deal. I am using the rear battery and added a fuse panel all under the pass. seat.

Attachments

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This weekend I installed a Champion radiator! I had a lot of help from Retiredwarhorses. Thank you for your help. Radiator was 286.00 and free shipping. Got delivered almost overnight. Quality looked really good and fit was perfect and all holes lined up. I was having issues with it getting hot and not cooling down while driving. Also installed a Leroy Diesel restrictor from the manifold to the water pump. I can’t drive it because I have a lot of flats. New tires on order and I can’t wait to test it. I let it high idle and it functions perfectly… sorry it was late night and that’s the best picture I got… IMG_2050.jpeg

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have done that, did not make any difference on my engine.
It seems like less hot water going back into the engine has to make some difference. It gets hot here in Vegas and I think on our hottest days it will make a small difference. I understand that the system functions at a certain temperature and it doesn’t do anything to change that. If nothing else it makes me feel better… hahaha it’s shiny too

Jinx

What did I do to my HMMWV today?

I finally got my surplus fresh M1114 running today and I'm ecstatic! I bought the truck non-running so anything could have been bad. There was no Smart Start controller but the TCU was KDS so I matched it up. There was no Serpentine belt, no CDR valve, a flat tire that was shredded, the batteries were present but bad, the power steering quick disconnect was disconnected and missing parts, etc. So to hear the truck fire up for the first time was amazing!

I only ran it for 10 minutes or so and looped my property a couple times to test it. Oil pressure held at 60PSI so the engine is strong. Still have a lot to do including an oil change, replace the fuel gauge because it's full of water, add an exhaust tip because the old one was cut off, new fuel filters, etc.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks