• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

cahilj

Finally fully floored.

20240407_073936.jpg

If anyone remembers the Fast and Furious heydays of the early 2000s, I was guilty of building plenty of fiberglass car parts. Since then, I've built plenty of actual racecar parts, so fiberglass is easy. This is even easier since it doesn't have to be perfect, just work.

Missing one marker light bucket and one lower corner-
20240313_191457.jpg

It took some weird layup supports, but it worked-
20240404_200721.jpg20240404_200735.jpg

Filled some noticable scratches, dings and voids-
20240405_193821.jpg20240405_193827.jpg20240405_193834.jpg

It's in white, ready for my halfway decent 686 match-
20240407_073917.jpg

Waiting on Trucklite LED signals, new LED markers (the ones I had both failed somehow), and a day to swap everything over. I also need to sandblast the ballistic grille. Somehow it has at least 3 layers of CARC.

Finally fully floored.

View attachment 920782

If anyone remembers the Fast and Furious heydays of the early 2000s, I was guilty of building plenty of fiberglass car parts. Since then, I've built plenty of actual racecar parts, so fiberglass is easy. This is even easier since it doesn't have to be perfect, just work.

Missing one marker light bucket and one lower corner-
View attachment 920783

It took some weird layup supports, but it worked-
View attachment 920784View attachment 920785

Filled some noticable scratches, dings and voids-
View attachment 920786View attachment 920787View attachment 920788

It's in white, ready for my halfway decent 686 match-
View attachment 920789

Waiting on Trucklite LED signals, new LED markers (the ones I had both failed somehow), and a day to swap everything over. I also need to sandblast the ballistic grille. Somehow it has at least 3 layers of CARC.
looks good, if your really good with working with fiberglass you should figure out a way to make reasonable priced OEM style hard doors and sell them.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today my Son and I started taking out rear interior, seats, mats, platform for gunner. We vacuumed it out and used a combination of brushes to get dirt out with vacuum. I don’t like to wash and make more mud than I need to. I found a 1969 quarter in the passenger seat. I’m on the hunt for a new pressure washer so we can finish the job. They painted the mats during reset and I’m not happy with them. One thing that bothered me was my tc has the 90degree elbow buried in the floor mat. Is there a way to clock the cannon plug? Still need a 200amp generator IMG_2185.jpeg

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, kinda. It's the first from GovPlanet. I did have an EUC and SF97 on my 1978 M35A2 back in 2009 through GovLiquidation.
My 1st item took like 6 months years ago. After that 6 other items took 1 month the longest. And now i am waiting on another item and i am at 4 weeks and counting.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’m waiting on Two M1151 and two M1114. One since January, two since February, and last since March.

Que Cera Cera.

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 1st item took like 6 months years ago. After that 6 other items took 1 month the longest. And now i am waiting on another item and i am at 4 weeks and counting.
I have had many through both GP and GL and the second to last one took almost 8 months, you just never know, they said the serial number was incorrectly listed on the paperwork but I actually finished the blanks on the application and the serial number was correct.
The last one only took a couple weeks or so, I bought the last two only a month apart.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Made a prototype spare tire cover. This weekend I’ll jack up a tire and fit it, since I don’t have a spare tire mount :D
Yes, this is a test for a new product for sale from Madmountain Military.
Made from milspec vinyl made in USA Berry Act compliant. I’m looking for a beta tester.
Currently I’m using a drawstring around the rear and a cord spring lock. Open to ideas of secondary means of attaching it for security.
Once this design is locked down the price will be in the range of $165.
Send a PM (conversation) if interested in helping me fine tune the design.
Bulldogger
IMG_5391.jpeg

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
what does Berry Act Compliant mean. something like commycalifornia has a warning on everything that it causes cancer?
Made In America, Buy America
The vinyl I use is made in New Jersey and the other parts (thread, cord and cord lock) are also US-made. And then it's made (by me) in Virginia.
BDGR

Godspeed131

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Worked on a simple little project recently. I wanted a phone holder and a rear view camera/CarPlay navigation screen, but I didn’t want the windshield/visibility to be blocked anymore than it already is. pondering on it all I realized there is a dead space on the corner of the radio tray so I took two scrap pieces of .100 thou aluminum and made a ”extension“ that bolts to the radio tray. I then bought two RAM mounts and mirrored them on the plate. So now the phone is mounted solidly and accessible and the rear view screen is down out of the way of anything and it doesn’t block the visibility any. I could have added one more piece of aluminum to make it flush but I’m happy with how it turned out and a plus is I avoided modifying anything that can’t be unbolted, removed, and turned back to original.

Attachments

Godspeed131

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had some free time and It was just a little project, maybe took about a hour and a half. Plus for me, it just moved everything forward into a better field of view closer to the dash and used what would other wise be unused space. Plus if i decide to add what ever to the radio tray in the future it is pretty much still open for what ever I would want. I am thinking on adding a storage box mounted underneath and some cupholders eventually.

cahilj

Got the hood done. My wife works for DA, and at her building they just happened to have a bunch of expired cans of 686 matched touch up in the trash pile. I saved them.
20240408_175203.jpg
20240412_181253.jpg
20240412_181302.jpg

Next big project is the cooling stack and inner fenders. It's really the only place on the truck I haven't been except inside the engine and transmission.

20240412_181332.jpg

Took my kiddo to the firing range and ice cream last night and then church this morning.
20240414_165143.jpg
My wife is great for letting me relive my glory days.
HQ10 (66).JPG

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks