• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'd also like to ask everyone's opinion. I have a few parts off the truck that still need to be painted. I planned on using some rustoleum flat black to clean up the undercarriage, but I thought about spraying the mirrors and headlight trim rings in flat black while I'm at it. Also I'm kinda up in the air about the brush guard. I dunno if I should paint it black or OD.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Latex looks good, but it's the worst for a repaint or dings and scratches to cover back up, you can't sand latex the way you can CARC, polyurethane or enamel based based finishes....I have used latex on trailers and it looks good.

KansasBobcat

I'd also like to ask everyone's opinion. I have a few parts off the truck that still need to be painted. I planned on using some rustoleum flat black to clean up the undercarriage, but I thought about spraying the mirrors and headlight trim rings in flat black while I'm at it. Also I'm kinda up in the air about the brush guard. I dunno if I should paint it black or OD.
My brush guard was OD. I think that most of the early ones (angle iron) were OD.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Mine is a heavy brush guard, I had some of the angle iron ones you're talking about. Was thinking black would be a good contrast.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Used a gallon to paint it. I've got another gallon as well here. Not sure what direction I'll go on the brush guard. Might also touch up the pioneer kit as well. 2 gallons would be a completely safe bet IMHO. And then you'd have a little left over for other things.

gsp45

Patracy, question........998's used 3 different grill guards, I'm looking for the style on your truck. Know where I can procure such an item?
Thx, gsp

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sorry gsp45, not sure where to find one. My HMMWV is a 93 1038, which was all original as I've found.

Made a little more progress tonight. Seatbelts, bows, rear latches, rear door hinges, and repaired a broken fastener. (Drilled out broken rivets and used some small sheetmetal screws)

uploadfromtaptalk1451958169480.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1451958187193.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1451958201646.jpg

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Patracy, question........998's used 3 different grill guards, I'm looking for the style on your truck. Know where I can procure such an item?
Thx, gsp
Thats a luverne type.
I have some in So. Cal.

gsp45

86humv, thanks for that info, but I'm afraid the freight charges would be more than the cost of the grill guard! Only way that would work is if someone had a truck coming thru Indiana and had some room. Commercial truck freight would be cost prohibitive. IMO
gsp45

Now that my girl was not parked in the shop by the owners 5-ton for the weekend, she sat out all day.

I went out and fired her up after work. The volt meter was in the high yellow sitting in the cool weather all day when I cranked her up. I held the starter for about 7 seconds and then let her idle for 40 minutes while my friend and I held the usual end of day court session. He had some final paperwork to do so I took a little ride on dry pavement to see if the RF hub noise went away with replaced hub oil. The noise is almost all gone. I'm not worried any more on that. I went and cycled from 1st, 2nd, drive and back down to make sure that the tranny and torque converter were all working right being this was the first time I've done more than moving around the parking lot and shop.

I had no idea of what the cab noise would be at 55mph, I do now. But it quiets down when I cut the heater blower. But at 20F outside when going 55 it gets chilly in a minute or two.

She corners like a sports car in my opinion. :)

I think she is ready to come home from the hospital.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
86humv, thanks for that info, but I'm afraid the freight charges would be more than the cost of the grill guard! Only way that would work is if someone had a truck coming thru Indiana and had some room. Commercial truck freight would be cost prohibitive. IMO
gsp45
I had my 4 man top (cover, bow set, c pillar, 4 doors, cargo bows, cargo covers, exc.) shipped to me on a pallet from NJ to GA via Fastenal for $150.

jake-cutter

gsp45, I can tell you 86humv is good at shipping large items as he has shipped me an Airlift bumper setup (about the same width as the brush guard, but a lot heavier) and currently I have a pallet of various stuff coming from him. Do you have Fastenal in your area as they seem to be the cheapest.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks