• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got my new Bogert Jack delivered! I was so excited and it is so robust! As I carried it inside Tobash message was echoing in my head. I can’t believe how heavy it is and probably would’ve found a better option for my 458.00 with taxes and shipping. Great for garage work and it’s a solid piece. Once I get my spine fused and hernia fixed from carrying it inside I will post a review

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I guess I'm slipping, I've been here since 2012. Hopefully he doesn't turn me in to the internet police.
I don’t call out people that can’t afford the 15.00 membership. I understand your situation and I hope it improves. I’m just glad that you are here! I remember when I was broke and trying to do stuff that I couldn’t afford. Not much fun. I think your positive energy is enough… Im really interested in lobster fest and I will buy your lunch because I understand that you can’t afford it.

sound proofed another area on the humvee that might get over looked which is behind the rear seats.

20240326_214731.jpg

I fit a sheet of kilmat, some closed cell foam, and 3/4in horse mat behind there. now when u tap on the inner fender much less noise makes it through

Need to work on finishing up sound deadening the power steering pump too just been to cold and rainy lately.

well got the power steering done, this is a picture before I put the last sheet of mlv on. still needs some kind of tape that will stick to mlv for the seems but with the hood up and the wheel turn against the locks u can't hear a power steering whine just a change in the engine but inside u can still hear the pump if you hit the stops but I haven't insulated the firewall yet either. Seems strange how much loader it is inside the cab vs outside but because of it's location I think a lot of the noise bounces around the firewall and feet/wheel well area.

2 layers kilmat, than closed cell foam and seems covered with black duct tape, that mlv to top it off.

20240327_181027.jpg

the top of the pump was by far the hardest part to do since there's so little room to get your hands in there.

Last edited:
How does the sound proofing work with heat dissipation? Will this material increase temps?
Yes the kilmat/CCF/mlv would increase heat but shouldn't make any difference in a liquid cooled system like the power steering. If it was air cooled only you could run into problems.

Areas i've done where I've been worried about heat so far are the valve covers, engine valley, oil pan, and the back of the block. For those areas I just used Kilmat as once it's rolled on there is no air gaps between it and the metal so once up to temp the heat transfer should be the same as if the metal was just a touch thicker but the engine is also liquid cooled so it shouldn't matter and you could probably add more insulation if u wanted.

Last edited:
Reactions: OBX

Autonomy_Lost

well got the power steering done, this is a picture before I put the last sheet of mlv on. still needs some kind of tape that will stick to mlv for the seems but with the hood up and the wheel turn against the locks u can't hear a power steering whine just a change in the engine but inside u can still hear the pump if you hit the stops but I haven't insulated the firewall yet either. Seems strange how much loader it is inside the cab vs outside but because of it's location I think a lot of the noise bounces around the firewall and feet/wheel well area.

2 layers kilmat, than closed cell foam and seems covered with black duct tape, that mlv to top it off.

View attachment 920051

the top of the pump was by far the hardest part to do since there's so little room to get your hands in there.
Wow, this actually worked and made it silent? I'm honestly shocked.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks