• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Finally restoring the M37

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In 2009 TWRIGHT and I won two auctions in WI (he got a goat I got a M37). This is the M37B1 I won for $2525 as it looked when we picked it up. It has 4.89 gears, a Detroit locker, lock outs, Winch and Hardtop. I am finally getting ready to do a full restore on it. More pictures to follow. The "plan" is to have it done in a year. (notice the trailer brake controller?)

Attachments

Last edited:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mostly stock. Biggest changes will be 4 wheel disk brakes and dual master cylinder.

zout

WOW - what a pristine vehicle to restore - you hit the end of the rainbow.
Keep pictures coming - you have a spectator.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
WOW - what a pristine vehicle to restore - you hit the end of the rainbow.
Keep pictures coming - you have a spectator.
Pristine isn't how I would describe it. There is some pretty good pitting corrosion, in fact the bed side in the back I am not using. I have replacement fenders, bed side, running boards, 1 section of grill guard and MACCUS got me a replacement cab for a retirement present last December. I also removed the bed and had them water/glass blasted. I recently cut out the cancer on the bed parts and welded that up (see the different primer). There were about 8-9 spots including filling in the ends of the bed sides. Front fenders are again off and welded up four drilled holes in each one. Truck is coming in the garage Friday for disassembly down to the frame.

Attachments

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are the replacement fenders and the repairs (once blasted you'll never know there were holes drilled). The new cab is sitting on the trailer in it's original A/F paint (notice ZERO rust problems), and the truck getting ready to roll into the shop.

Attachments

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Truck is in the shop. Got the body off in about three hours, most was dealing with the wiring harnesses. It was amazing how much grain and mouse crap came out of the cab when we stood it up! Had to quit due to a Toys for Tots commitment tonight and tomorrow. Hopefully next update Sunday night.

Attachments

Last edited:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Between crappy weather and Toys for Tots I haven't gotten a lot done.... Transmission, transfer case, and winch removed.

Attachments

Last edited:

zout

Now ya talking......let the Force be with the torches and a good ziz wheel cutter....carry on. (5 lb sledge hammer for backup).

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just got back from vacation (so no updates)

So I cut and pasted from Zout's rebuild of Ferro's M37 the below FS numbers. I ordered a can of Gillespie gloss Navy Grey (Rapco # 16081), painted a sample and had NAPA test it for the paint code. Came up with FS 26270 Haze Grey (PPG# 00334467). So I ordered a quart and pick up tomorrow. We'll see how it looks. I wanted something other than Enamel or Latex.

Ferro posted up a couple FS #'s =FS 16081 & FS 36118 (frame)

Sent him some info as the first # does not seem right. So his option to choose. But by the end of next weekend I can see paint on the chassis and body as soon as I get what he wants.

That includes blasting up the small pieces as well in the heaping pile in the garage.
Light Gull Gray FS36440
Dark Gull Gray FS36231
Blue Gray FS35189
Extra Dark Sea Gray FS36118

And of course there is always Gloss SEA BLUE FS15042
Hopefully come Monday we can have a choice.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks