• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Finally restoring the M37

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I have been swamped with an awesome summer job (that will be another thread after some pictures), but today after some digging through junk and removing a few trees, I scored a rebuilt transmission. (and it was a freebie!)

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Missing....Mess.

Finally found a minute to catch up on the new builds on Steel Soldiers and I'm really lovin' the M37 you're doing. Thanks for posting up the pictures because it certainly sets the bar high on a quality restoration....and a quality space to work in. I am going to have an M37 someday and I'd sure like it to be as fine as that one. First a spotless shop and now an NOS transmission for a good price.....very nice, how do you do it?

Hope you don't mind, but I'm sure most viewers are envious of the clean and organized shop. Another Ahab has shown us how to save pictures in the paint program and draw those red arrows so I'd like to help by messing up the shop a little so the rest of us feel more at home when we come and visit your thread.

.....there, that's better!rofl

messy shop.jpg

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, actually I retired from the Navy and am blowing my GI bill school money learning something I wanted to know more about-basically fixing my own crap! The picture is of the school. Just got my cert for Auto body last week.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A congratulations is in order then and a toast to the new Certification. :beer:

That's a real lucky M37 to find you and the school. Perfect working conditions, all the safety...less of the dust?....all the right tools and Henderson on the hammer! My son did his first year/ 2 months in class then working without pay for the rest of the year at...Cougar Collision....without pay.
He became an electrician.

Does the cert mean you're done and about to apply your trade...or are you going back to school?

Don't let the looks of the M37 keep you from finding G749 parts.:wink:

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
About the clean shop... When we were out there in March, we were blown away by the organizational skills and attention to detail by both him and the real owner of the M37. In his garage there were shelves full of parts all in boxes that were perfectly sized, some totes, but all was labeled. a to z, aa, bb... and so on. Then there was a 3 ring binder with a single page for every box with the contents of each container written. It was impressive. Wendy's organizational skills are impressive too. I've never seen anything like it. We were so impressed my kids made a master binder of everything they owned. ...Good impression
:beer:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any updates?
Do you want me to pick up the canvas?
Yep, been busy. Back in school, got rest of rims painted and new Superlugs mounted. I didn't like the passenger bed side so I replaced it today. Bed is coming off tomorrow for final paint and install of little bed parts. I have a leaking rear pinion so that needs to come off too. Ordered ALOT of parts today.

Another Ahab

The restoration is looking great, and by the way so is that garage.

Did you already tell us, but is that YOUR garage or at work or what? It sure is nice!

m715

)Outstanding work, I like the paint it looks great. My truck will never be as nice as yours but I will do my best with I am working with.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bed is in final primer tonight, inner fenders installed, front hood seal installed (with totally worthless fasteners), rear shocks installed, and the Seabee "beep" installed. Just got in a ton of new parts too!

Attachments

Bill W

Bed is in final primer tonight, inner fenders installed, front hood seal installed (with totally worthless fasteners), rear shocks installed, and the Seabee "beep" installed. Just got in a ton of new parts too!
I went with screws on the hood welting and I used wide head aluminum rivets to fasten the rubber cowl/fender welting, those skinny steel ones looked like they would pull through the rubber in no time....your truck looks great!

Last edited:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went with screws on the hood welting and I used wide head aluminum rivets to fasten the rubber cowl/fender welting, those skinny steel ones looked like they would pull through the rubber in no time....your truck looks great!
I used JB weld around the fasteners under the welting to hold it down.

just me

I used the correct split rivets for the fender rubber. They were available at my local hardware store. I used drive pins for the hood welting. (I was able to reuse the originals, but they are available from McMaster-Carr.)

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got more parts in. Installed some seals. Received the new seat covers ECT, from New Life. Started disassembling seats-notice the brown carpet?aua More dash stuff installed-the 3 lever switch is coming back out for paint (so much for being new). Finally painted the bed, not really happy with it at the moment. I had one run all of last year in an engine panel, I have 4 and some orange peel on the bed....beer time!

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks