• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

UH1D

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Some guys not too far from me are getting ready to paint their UH1D heilo. They were wondering what the correct color is and the best place to buy the paint from. I have no clue on either of these issues. I figured someone here has to know this stuff. Tia.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
These guys do all their own resto work, they will know:

www.armyav.org

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have seen several colors, white, Navy grey, 24087 green, 34087 green, etc etc etc. The Huey is 50 years old and has worn colors across the map.

I believe the primer, though, is not red oxide, but rather yellow death (nickname I have heard it given). Adheres better to aluminum than the red oxide does.

67Beast

Depends on what era they want it to represent. Just like our trucks there are different colors for different time periods. Early stuff was semi-gloss with white and yellow hi-vis markings, then a switch to lusterless with black subdued markings , and then there were all the camo jobs of the late 70's early 80's. I think I remember reading somewhere that they were 24087 (semi) and then 34087 (lusterless) just like trucks of the time period.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your "yellow death" is alodine. It will not be needed unless there is alot of bare aluminum. If the base coat is good just prep like you would anything else. Alodine goes on bare aluminum then regular primer goes over that then the topcoat.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think I have TMs for some of the hueys and some other rotor type TMs if there is a need.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Thanks Kenny, I want to see what these guys are about before I jump in with both feet to help out. I will let you know.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks