• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Might be moving

hwcurtice

I highly recommend the horse carriage tours in Charleston to get some history on the city. We have taken 4 (I think) and taken a different route every time as they manage how many horses/carriages go on each router per day and it's a crap shoot as to which route you get.

They will tell you about where the papers were signed for the War of Northern Aggression as they like to call it and see the real Tiffany Glass front door on the house down by Battery Park. The painting of porch ceilings a certain for warding off spirits and you see so many of the bolts/nuts/rods holding the 5 million dollar houses together. They flip houses down there more than an acrobat doing a routine. People move in find out they are not allowed to do anything they want and it dawns on them that a house two stories high, 50 feet long and about 3 feet wide isn't all they had hoped for. (Yes, I'm exaggerating but not by much.)

As for my friend, here is his latest response. I agree with North Charleston (I don't like it).

###
By and large, the public schools in the city of North Charleston are poor. While North Charleston has some great neighborhoods (and some terrible ones), the school situation would give me pause if I had a 12 year old.

The schools in the peninsular part of the city of Charleston are not very good either. My wife and I live on the peninsula, and we love it. But we had to make the choice (reluctantly) to put our kid through private school.

If your friend is willing to commute, there are plenty of great places to live, with schools that range from good to great. Regardless of the neighborhood(s) he's considering, he should ask about the schools.
###

Good luck
The area we are leaning towards is Summerville. The schools appear decent and the house prices reasonable compared to the Charleston/North Charleston area.

Of course, compared to where we live now, that actually have nice houses for sale in our price range. Here, we only have fixers or teardowns.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Schools were a major and deciding factor when we bought our GA house. No other county in the mountains remotely compared. Kids will be starting there next school year.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My friend me another message about your quandary.

###
Summerville is in Dorchester School District 2, which is one of the best in the area. Many people choose to live in Summerville specifically for that reason. Should be within his commuting tolerance too.
###

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A Personal visit is in order to determine the validity of all that we have offered both in this thread and via PM. Boots on the ground trump all second hand intel.

hwcurtice

A Personal visit is in order to determine the validity of all that we have offered both in this thread and via PM. Boots on the ground trump all second hand intel.
Boots on the ground is currently set, not in stone, for the last weekend in May. Possible needs for a bunk while there, but that isn't set either. Nothing wrong with a Motel 6, if they remember to leave the light on...

mcmullag

10 years ago, I moved from the Midwest to out here. I did research by going to the police dept site and there was actually maps with dots of where the crimes were happening. Figured to stay away from SE quarter of the city. Also talked to an apartment rental office person and off the record she helped me on where to be and where not to be. Also read local papers and make your own map of where bad stuff happens. If I was you, I would make a map and keep updating info and sharing it with your family on where not to go and where it is good to go. You yourself could drive around and then update your map. You can figure out what places are nice and where the industrial zones are, what exits not to take off of major streets and highways. Just my two cents. Best of luck to you.

Another Ahab

10 years ago, I moved from the Midwest to out here. I did research by going to the police dept site and there was actually maps with dots of where the crimes were happening. Figured to stay away from SE quarter of the city. Also talked to an apartment rental office person and off the record she helped me on where to be and where not to be. Also read local papers and make your own map of where bad stuff happens.
Kind of a funny story about maps:

- Years ago when the "registered sexual offender" laws first came out, one of my buddies at work decided it would be interesting to check on-line to see if there were any offenders in the neighborhood of the office where we worked.

- So he's busy on the keyboard and up comes the map, and then he's looking and then he goes silent and his eyes get big, and real quiet, kind of under his breath he goes "Whoooooooa......."

- So we gather around his screen, and sure enough within about 5-6 blocks of our office is this BIG density of dots, and all witihin like this one particular block.

- It threw us all off. We're staring at the screen, and we're all like dumbfounded. WTF!?

- Took us all about a minute of just being flabbergasted, before somebody added 2 and 2 together, and we figured out that it was the address of the County Courthouse and the jail (this was Arlington VA). And that's where all these perps were locked-up and registered. We had a laugh about that, but in truth that really wasn't funny (there were a lot of them).

Last edited:

hwcurtice

Dang, that was a fun trip!

And the decision was made to relocate there. Started the process to rent an apartment already.

It really seemed that signs were there to keep us there. Flying in there were no issues. Flying out, was another story. FLights to Texas were being canceled right and left. We ended up staying one more night and then flying through Chicago instead.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Excellent. Hope you enjoy the southern hospitality. I'm going to have to move north for southern hospitality.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
David,
He just got back from the trip after getting feedback from members here about the area.
You get this sort of thing when you don't read the whole thread. :)

It's not like I haven't done it too.

hwcurtice

Guess what? We're only about 10 hours away from our new place. Its been a fun trip. Spent 4 days on South Dakota seeing pretty much EVERYTHING! But since then, it's been pedal to the metal, with only a few scheduled, and a couple unscheduled stops along the way.

Currently in Strasburg, OH.

gottaluvit

Guess what? We're only about 10 hours away from our new place. Its been a fun trip. Spent 4 days on South Dakota seeing pretty much EVERYTHING! But since then, it's been pedal to the metal, with only a few scheduled, and a couple unscheduled stops along the way.

You are in the heart of Ohio's Amish Country. A lot of stuff to see and a lot of cheese just minutes away at Sugarcreek. Everything is closed on Sunday's though. Enjoy the rest of your trip. Be safe!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!

Whats up there?! You just missed a great truck show yesterday close to I70 and 68. I'd say head south to Cincy, but I'm getting ready to head out for the Iola Wi show.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks