• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Might be moving

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You must have come across on the northern route by Lake Erie.

Safe journies

Another Ahab

You are in the heart of Ohio's Amish Country. A lot of stuff to see and a lot of cheese just minutes away at Sugarcreek. Everything is closed on Sunday's though. Enjoy the rest of your trip. Be safe!
I've been getting a mail-order catalog for years from a store up that way.

It's great stuff for anybody leaning towards living off the grid.

Here's the link:

www.lehmans.com

hwcurtice

So, we've been here a couple years now. I remember most of the route. It was fun. Never want to do it with dogs again unless I have a larger rig so they have room to roam some. Yeah, went by Lake Erie (who thought Cleveland was such a big deal?) just because I was dropping some stuff off at a friends place in Lorain, and then heading to a Faire further south to meet another friend. Love the toll roads, which I really tried to avoid at all costs. (Pun)

Way different than Washington. People freak out here over the smallest things, like these little storms they call hurricanes. And they all seem to have an attraction to my rear bumper. Speed limits are a guide. Not to be confused with enforced laws. Amish country? Never saw anything resembling Amish. No buggies. No black and white clothes. Love the rain going through West Virginia and that tunnel! Oh, and you pay to get into WV and pay to get out of it too! Kinda like renting a state for 10 miles...

The rain in South Carolina doesn't just fall, it pours buckets at a time. And then just stops... Love the thunderstorms.

Living here is pretty reasonable. Have to get used to state income tax and property tax on everything. And the steps needed to license your car? Wow... I think they plan for employees to take time off work just so you can do that.

Just thought I would update this thread. Who is still here?

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Southern food?

Having relocated here this summer, I was disappointed to learn that family diners are replaced by every imaginable fast food franchise. To me, there is nothing better than having the variety of food experiences by patronizing small, locally run establishments.

I acknowledge that my preconceptions are the root of my disappointment. Nonetheless, I vote for the rise of the local diner and the widening of the food experience!

Rick

hwcurtice

Well, besides missing some of the standards from the NW, we did find that the South loves chicken. More chicken places than burger places and seafood places. Every chicken place is different. But 99% of the chicken is fried, which is okay.

Can't find a decent seafood place, even for something as easy as fish and chips. The best Mexican place we found when we moved here has closed down. No, not Taco Bell. Having had my fill of Cracker Barrel driving through Texas up to Washington a few years back, I avoid them like the plague. Waffle House is okay. Sonic? People actually eat here? My wife went there yesterday. She likes interaction with people. 90% is through the machine. She's done with them. She won't go through a self-check at grocery stores either.

Wife doesn't care for Chick Fil A chicken, but Bojangles and Zaxbys are good. I've tried Church's and one other one, from time to time, and you know, it seems that they all get their chicken from the same place. Already breaded and such. So the only real difference is the sides. The closest Church's has some issues, being part of a stop-n-rob for cleanliness, or the lack thereof, and the customer service can be lacking too. We tend to avoid them as well.

We tried a place called Captain D's for seafood. I'm guessing its an acquired taste... Pass.
Gilligan's is the same.

The only place we like to really go to, mostly because the prices are good, is The Cook-Out. I try to stay away from the fried foods, except onion rings and hushpuppies, but still, not too bad. Still looking for hushpuppies made with real corn, not just formed cornmeal.

Also looking for a really good BBQ place. Haven't found one yet.

Who did I leave out? Of yeah, Shoney's. Great place. They let people that are sick work there. I know...

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Southern food?

Having relocated here this summer, I was disappointed to learn that family diners are replaced by every imaginable fast food franchise. To me, there is nothing better than having the variety of food experiences by patronizing small, locally run establishments.

I acknowledge that my preconceptions are the root of my disappointment. Nonetheless, I vote for the rise of the local diner and the widening of the food experience!

Rick
Rick, for Southern food, try Lizzards Thicket, it's a local chain. For BBQ locally Little Pig's on Alpine Rd, Hudson's on 378 between West Columbia and Lexington, and Shealy's in Batesburg-Leesville come to mind.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Well, besides missing some of the standards from the NW, we did find that the South loves chicken. More chicken places than burger places and seafood places. Every chicken place is different. But 99% of the chicken is fried, which is okay.

Can't find a decent seafood place, even for something as easy as fish and chips. The best Mexican place we found when we moved here has closed down. No, not Taco Bell. Having had my fill of Cracker Barrel driving through Texas up to Washington a few years back, I avoid them like the plague. Waffle House is okay. Sonic? People actually eat here? My wife went there yesterday. She likes interaction with people. 90% is through the machine. She's done with them. She won't go through a self-check at grocery stores either.

Wife doesn't care for Chick Fil A chicken, but Bojangles and Zaxbys are good. I've tried Church's and one other one, from time to time, and you know, it seems that they all get their chicken from the same place. Already breaded and such. So the only real difference is the sides. The closest Church's has some issues, being part of a stop-n-rob for cleanliness, or the lack thereof, and the customer service can be lacking too. We tend to avoid them as well.

We tried a place called Captain D's for seafood. I'm guessing its an acquired taste... Pass.
Gilligan's is the same.

The only place we like to really go to, mostly because the prices are good, is The Cook-Out. I try to stay away from the fried foods, except onion rings and hushpuppies, but still, not too bad. Still looking for hushpuppies made with real corn, not just formed cornmeal.

Also looking for a really good BBQ place. Haven't found one yet.

Who did I leave out? Of yeah, Shoney's. Great place. They let people that are sick work there. I know...
I'm reading through this list of restaurants and scratching my head how any of these chains are deemed southern food. Maybe except for Chic-fil-a. If you're from the south, you probably risk eternal dammnation for speaking ill of the house of the Jesus biscuits.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can't find a decent seafood place, even for something as easy as fish and chips.
Best seafood places are in Mount Pleasant, on Shem's Creek, IMHO. Most of the BBQ in the low country will be vinegar and pepper based, while the midlands will predominate with a mustard base. Only in the Piedmont (upstate) will you find tomato/ketchup based sauces in local BBQ eateries. Diverse places like Little Pig's and Shealy's will have all three, but small, local spots will specialize in the regional variety. Since you are in Monks Corner, have you been to Mepkin Abbey? They have some good food there too!

hwcurtice

I'm reading through this list of restaurants and scratching my head how any of these chains are deemed southern food. Maybe except for Chic-fil-a. If you're from the south, you probably risk eternal dammnation for speaking ill of the house of the Jesus biscuits.
I only said my wife doesn't care for their chicken. The Jesus biscuits are okay, as long as they are hot.

And as to being southern food, you don't find them in the northwest. Well, Crackerbarrel is in Idaho, but no one really goes there...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

99nouns

Only thing I like about South East is that if people don't like you, they tell it to your face and walk away (just don't follow them if you wanna live), if people like you, they tell it to your face and support you, unlike New England, not every one smiles to your face and dig your hole behind... Of course you have both in both places, but just culture is more predominant depending on locality.

cwc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check out Lester's BBQ, on 601 near Estill. It is an old-school BBQ joint, next to a cotton field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks