• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Factory bondo???

combatmech

Working on one of two rust/ chipped paint areas on my truck. Digging into the paint, it looks like GM applied a healthy coat of body filler over bare metal, then a coat of AF blue paint, and then a final coat of OD green.
Would it be normal for the factory to apply body fillers to a vehicle prior to painting?? There does not appear to be any dents in the metal in that area.
Just curious......

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Almost all vehicles come from the factory with some body filler. Most times it's to cover up welding seams, assembly line damage, etc. My family was in the auto business from the '50s up through the '90s and saw it on just about every make and model. However, they should have primed it before any top coat was applied.

combatmech

Almost all vehicles come from the factory with some body filler. Most times it's to cover up welding seams, assembly line damage, etc. My family was in the auto business from the '50s up through the '90s and saw it on just about every make and model. However, they should have primed it before any top coat was applied.
That makes sense. I do not recall seeing any primer. From the looks of other places on the truck, GM didnt even scuff the AF blue before the OD green.

zout

They did not expect it to last that long under war conditions.
Bean counters estimated how much more time to get the same results shot term and went the "low bidder" route.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks