• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M939 is ownership practical in SoCal?

lordsporkton

To further that engine problem, so far as I can tell its not a registration issue but a driving issue. So even if I was to register in another state close by that doesnt care about the engine, i still cant legally drive it in the state of CA.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am not wanting to chase anyone off but doesn't this thread belong in the Western US forum? It may not be helpful to others in the future if it stays here.

lordsporkton

I am not wanting to chase anyone off but doesn't this thread belong in the Western US forum? It may not be helpful to others in the future if it stays here.
Oh, wow, woops. I saw Southwest and thought that included CA. Might help if i was in the proper CA region. Let me figure out how to move it.

I think I need an admin please....

NovacaineFix

Also regarding the historic plate suggestions.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?...dmv_content_en/dmv/pubs/reg_hdbk/ch21/ch21_19

It is indicating that the vehicle has to be at least 25 years old but the kicker is "limited to operation or movement over the highway primarily for the purpose of historical exhibition or other similar, noncommercial purposes, such as parades or historic vehicle club activities."

I'm gonna guess a matte black, quad cab 923 going romping through the desert doesnt count.
You are correct sir. Going the Historic Plate route is not for everybody. Not sure how much and if and how they would actually enforce that, but it is written as such.
You could try that but if you ever get pulled over for whatever reason, not sure what would happen, so I wouldn't suggest doing that.

By far, the easiest route, but again not for everybody, would be just get your CDL Class A or B and just don't go commercial. Still insurance may set some restrictions as well, but we can't get into that part on here.

Styk33

0 Star General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With Historic plates it is the word primary that allows you to drive a lot more than what DMV will tell you. Primary use is 51% and if you sign up for a few parades or even frequent some parking lot car shows, you have a good case, if anyone questions you. It's the daily driver that will have an issue with the Historic plates and the usage for them. Like others have stated previously, just about anytime I drive my truck it is going to or from an exhibition, as I rarely will have a day I drive that people are not walking around the truck and asking questions, and I only have a small deuce and a half.

Bucho

With Historic plates it is the word primary that allows you to drive a lot more than what DMV will tell you. Primary use is 51% and if you sign up for a few parades or even frequent some parking lot car shows, you have a good case, if anyone questions you. It's the daily driver that will have an issue with the Historic plates and the usage for them. Like others have stated previously, just about anytime I drive my truck it is going to or from an exhibition, as I rarely will have a day I drive that people are not walking around the truck and asking questions, and I only have a small deuce and a half.
What is a small deuce and half? Is that like jumbo shrimp.

saltydeuce

I know a lot of people in Los Angeles and San bernardino I would give those military guys a call they have answers to all your questions. They are in rancho Cucamonga. (909)703 1400

lordsporkton

I think at this point its pretty clear to me that im just screwed if i want a 5ton, due to my requirements. Since I'm not fond of the historic idea due to my interest in using it daily and heavy modification. Its looking like Ill just need to engine swap. On the bright side, i bet i could get slightly better power and mileage out of it with an engine swap.

lordsporkton

Well sir, right you are. Those military guys said its not an issue for me. I guess the rules are a bit misleading and its only when youre using the truck for commercial usage or when you own 3 or more vehicles. I'm still trying to find the exact word of this in the rules but having troub.le.

Last edited:

quickfarms

Well sir, right you are. Those military guys said its not an issue for me. I guess the rules are a bit misleading and its only when youre using the truck for commercial usage or when you own 3 or more vehicles. I'm still trying to find the exact word of this in the rules but having troub.le.
How is it not an issue.

You are either exempt or you have to comply.

There is no such thing as a non commercial registration.

The less than 3 trucks is an old thing that has expired.

lordsporkton

How is it not an issue.

You are either exempt or you have to comply.

There is no such thing as a non commercial registration.

The less than 3 trucks is an old thing that has expired.
As mentioned, im still trying to find the wording however, "technically" i understand that i am not exempt, but it was implied that they simply dont force compliance on someone at my level. Since we are just passing the first set of deadlines though it does concern me that they might "revamp" or improve their compliance enforcement.

quickfarms

As mentioned, im still trying to find the wording however, "technically" i understand that i am not exempt, but it was implied that they simply dont force compliance on someone at my level. Since we are just passing the first set of deadlines though it does concern me that they might "revamp" or improve their compliance enforcement.
I have been told by multiple officials at several agencies that if you do not fit into one of the exemptions listed in paragraph C you will have to comply.

The exemptions that do affect us are 9 and 10.

There is an exemption, number 12, for pickups with a GVWR, gross vehicle weight rating, of 19,500 or less but this would not be applicable.

This is the regulation

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onrdiesel/documents/tbfinalreg.pdf

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks