• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-802 and 803 Main generator tip.

fa35jsf

I did the diode upgrade mod. Replaced the original 5404 diodes in both the quad bridge and the exciter field inside the A1 with 5408 diodes. The 5408 diodes have a max reverse peak voltage of 1000V. The generator still runs great! I’ll post the steps later. It was a relatively easy mod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fa35jsf

As I posted before I upgraded the diodes in my voltage regulator and it worked and operates as it’s suppose to. The 5408 diodes can take a 1000V hit versus the 5404 which were limited by 400V. Theoretically that’s high enough that they should never burn up. I also added the MOV for additional protection and my generator already had the fuse mod. Here are the steps.

1) Properly label and then remove the 8 wires from the voltage regulator.

2) Remove the regulator from your generator.

3) Drill out the 4 rivets on the sides and remove the cover.

4) Remove the 4 screws on the back.

5) Remove the guts from the case. Then remove the two small screws, one on each side of the metal heat sink, that connect a transistor to the heat sink.

6) Remove the 4 screws holding the heat sink to the electronic board.

7) At this point you should see 4 diodes all next to each other. You want to unsolder and replace each diode with the new 5408 diodes. BE ESPECIALLY CAREFUL TO REINSTALL THE DIODES IN THE SAME DIRECTION YOU TOOK THEM OFF!!! Match the white line on the diode to line depicted on the board.

8) Next to the 4 diodes is another rectangle shaped component glued down on top of the fifth diode. Carefully cut the glue and pry the component up to expose that diode. Replace it with a 5408 taking the same precautions as before.

9) Now you just have to reassemble and test it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tonyr3

I am doing the mod on my 803 that I recently purchaesd. Can you tell me what MOV that you purchased. I link would be helpful. I seem to be getting myself confused.

Thanks
Tony

jnbru

I'm working on MEP 806A at work we pickup out federal surplus. It was work good on 416 volts at the time we purchased it. I changed down to 208 and it's blowing the 3 amp fuse on the regulator now. Any ideas on where to start?

Guyfang

Staff member
I'm working on MEP 806A at work we pickup out federal surplus. It was work good on 416 volts at the time we purchased it. I changed down to 208 and it's blowing the 3 amp fuse on the regulator now. Any ideas on where to start?
you are probably not going to get much help in this thread. I would suggest you start a thread called MEP-806 Quad fuse blows. Or something like that. That way people who have worked on the 806A will read about your problem. Most folks in this thread have the MEP-802 or 803. Very different gen set.

rcamacho

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, I have 3 gensets (802s) that need the fuse and MOV updates. I ordered 10 of the MOVs, but now I'm wondering if they can be "tested" as they age? Also I found the fuses, but I haven't found the fuse holders? Does anyone have a source ( I may have missed it somewhere?)

Hoping that all of these sets are good units but I will wait til I get the mods done to try them out. This thread has been a great help on these units.

69birdman

OK, I have 3 gensets (802s) that need the fuse and MOV updates. I ordered 10 of the MOVs, but now I'm wondering if they can be "tested" as they age? Also I found the fuses, but I haven't found the fuse holders? Does anyone have a source ( I may have missed it somewhere?)

Hoping that all of these sets are good units but I will wait til I get the mods done to try them out. This thread has been a great help on these units.
I have 2 fuse holders you can have, pm me.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well thanks to generosity and Amazon, I have the bits and pieces. As I understand this, the MOV is just attached to the farthest left two terminals and the fuse interrupts the line going to the one terminal, correct?

Guyfang

Staff member
Your link will not open.

I will direct you to TB 11-6115-741-24. This document is the first, last and only true guidense to the Quad Circuit MWO. Go to chapter 5. It clearly states, that the correct fuse needed for this MWO, has the part number FNQ-R-3, Fuse, 3A, 600V, TIME DELAY. A time delay fuse is a slow blow fuse.

This TB is here in the SS TM forum.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks