• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-802 and 803 Main generator tip.

MusgroveM

I know it's been a few weeks, but I just got this information today. Here is a link to an AVR that is supposed to work when the quad windings were burned out by a faulty voltage regulator. https://www.flightsystems.com/standby-generator-ats-controls/model-808-basler-delco-regulator.html It's called a MODIFIED 808 universal voltage regulator. Not exactly cheap,($275) but it's a lot cheaper than replacing the stater. Engineer told me that he has successfully replaced the military voltage regulator with quad windings burned out. You will need to contact them and let them know what you are doing so they can modify it to fit your needs.
I can't find any indication that the SX460 AVR has ever been used to replace the voltage regulator in the 802A or the 803A

Last edited:

biz

I'm new here but it seems to me this should be a sticky post up top. The fuse and MOV mod seem to be pretty important.

Last edited:

Dwnorton1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The circular blue disc is a MOV that I added to prevent the voltage spikes that can take out the diode bridge in the voltage regulator.[/QUOTE]
If you are looking for MOV, you're local RadioShack may have them in stock. Mine did. My 802 had Tier 2 in 2012 so fuse was there, but after reading this helpful tip above I was able to again extra protection as well. Picture shows part #. I crimped on pin ferrule on to ensure good connection.

IMG_1807.jpgIMG_1808.jpgIMG_1809.jpg

FYI. They cost $2.70 ea. Cheap insurance.
Radioshack states direct replacement for V130LA20A

http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/240/littelfuse_mov_la-299842.pdf

Last edited:

NormB

Last edited:

NormB

Now I am wondering about my MOV rating. What would be the maximum spike that the diode bridge could be exposed to?
Good question. I'm not an electronics tech - but I've build and rebuilt a few ham radios and amps over the years among other projects. I can read circuit tracings and troubleshoot and solder with the best of 'em, but I think you might want to direct that question to Guyfang, he's a generator guy.

I had placed these on the input side of the RFI filter on an amplifier - I run power conditioners for my computers and TV/audio system at home. Power spikes on our home lines and OVERvoltage are legendary (try 135 VAC - shut down everything, fried some wall wart, but 122-127 is about normal) and don't even ask about why BGE doesn't fix the problem.

Anyway, I think what you've got is probably fine, I just used what I had on hand.

Norm

Bmxenbrett

20170323_125304.jpg
I was able to find the MOV at a local radioshack that was closing down today. I got two of them for less than $1. The fuse and holder i ordered online from allfuses.com
I want to say i have less than $22 into this modification.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
A very important thing to make sure it is done on your generator.

Bmxenbrett

Since i have done my fuse mod i came across time delay fuses at my local home depot. No 3amp but im sure you can site to store ship it. No need to pay $30 a fuse. They had them for $13 for two.

rogpike

Good post. I just looked and my 2007 803a does not have the fuse mod on it. So what is the best source for the fuse and fuse holder that you have found?

Jigawatts

I am trying to find the specs for the MOV. I tried viewing the manual in post #4 but it isn't working? The MOV's that some of you have listed as using in your units have different specs? Some higher and some much lower voltages? Please forgive my confusion I'm just trying to make sure I'm actually protecting the quad with the MOV and it isn't simply decorative!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks