• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got an M170

PaFarmer

I bought a 1955 M170. I don't have any history on it. It is original under the hood, still 24 volts. The pannel added to the passenger side was nicely done to fit M38A1 doors, but it did not come with doors. It does have the top and side canvas. I plan to fit some CJ2A seats and install troop seats on the rear fender boxes. Here are some pics

PaFarmer

The paint under the hood and inside the glove box and tool boxes is OD, but it has at least three colors on top, yellow, gloss black and gray.

I am looking for some M38A1 doors. I have seen some reproduction stuff and will go that route if I don't come across any deals. If I find some doors I may leave the pannel on the passenger side otherwise I will remove it.

I don't have much use for it as an ambulance but adding some troop seats and seat belts it would make a nice beach cruiser and ride to the ice cream shop.

Saberr

Nice. Seen a few m170's, but not usually in that good condition, especially back east. Got to admit, those seats sure look comfy though :). That's awesome you got a top with it as well. Looks like it was set up with a fording kit at one time. On a personal note, that paint job just doesn't do it justice, very un-flattering. How does it run, have you driven it much ? Be a great beach cruiser, at least you can fit the family you want to take in it to go, a1 little small to fit a family and supplies w/out trailer.

PaFarmer

Lol is that a neon rag or paint behind the grill ? Shinny front bumper.
The yellow and black paint show through at the grill. Four layers of paint have protected the metal, is what I figure. The bumper cries out for a scuff and OD paint when we get some warm weather.

i have some CJ2A seat frames I can modify and mount OD cushions. I am debating using some 31"X11.5x16" Super Swampers I have or the original stock tires from my JK rather than NDTs. Either would be better off road and are already paid for at this point.

Saberr

Know how you feel for weather. I'm shade tree mech, and its been avg 58 here for last few weeks. Need at least 65. Have to paint my whole frame/tub.

PaFarmer

Found some M38A1 door frames and new door canvas for this M170, so I can remove the panel on the passenger side and get it looking right. Odcloth.com. Came highly recommended. Thanks for the correction.

Last edited:

PaFarmer

I got my canvas doors covers and m38a1 door frame from Dave at weebee webbing, of odcloth.com. He and his crew did a very nice job, the only problem is they make my original top and side canvas look a bit shabby in comparison.

saddamsnightmare

October 2nd, 2016.

Also try WeeBee Webbing in Ohio, David Pizzoferrato has restored at least one M170, he may know where parts are to be had and can likely do your canvas work.8)

63m170

just bought a m170 marine corps radio jeep. think its one of the last ones built, maybe some help? date delivered 7/63 and serial # 14202 thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks