• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WMO users in Ohio?

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just was thinking about how nice it would be to have a centrifuge, but I just can't justify the cost with MAYBE using a couple hundred gallons every year once I get the deuce up and running. But I had a little brainstorm. This is completely in it's infancy, but I was wondering if it would be a good idea to maybe form some kind of a co-op agreement and go in together with a group of guys on a portable setup that could be shared. each person would get a certain amount of time per year to use it, and the cost would be spread out to make it more economical. Any thoughts on this?? Of course I know there could be problems with a bad apple, but have any of you ever done this with a piece of equipment?

JonMolander

I'm interested, but I'm only here for the next 15 months. Tipp City (80 miles away). I'm working on building a collection trailer (also in its infancy). I have a 300gal tote and some pumps and plumbing that I want to rig to a skid unit on my M116 chassis.

More importantly, I'm a masters student doing research in this field, so I may be interested in your product for a couple reasons. Let me know what you're thinking.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm interested, but I'm only here for the next 15 months. Tipp City (80 miles away). I'm working on building a collection trailer (also in its infancy). I have a 300gal tote and some pumps and plumbing that I want to rig to a skid unit on my M116 chassis.

More importantly, I'm a masters student doing research in this field, so I may be interested in your product for a couple reasons. Let me know what you're thinking.
I don't have a "product", I was thinking possibly of a group of guys going in together and buying a centrifuge. From what I've read here, that is the ultimate way to filter WMO, but I suspect a lot of us don't use enough to justify spending that much money. Obviously there would be details to work out, and rules, but I was just seeing how much interest there was before I got gung ho on anything.

JonMolander

Centrifuge is the best, but has arguable diminishing returns because the high setup cost isn't worth the gains in filtering quality. A co-op resolves that. I like the idea.

How about if you buy the setup and rent it out for a month? I could help you build it.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Centrifuge is the best, but has arguable diminishing returns because the high setup cost isn't worth the gains in filtering quality. A co-op resolves that. I like the idea.

How about if you buy the setup and rent it out for a month? I could help you build it.
I have a big project I'm working on this spring, so I don't have the money to invest by myself. Thus the idea about a co-op. And you can get ready to run set ups, you just connect to your Dirty WMO tanks and a line to your clean storage tank.

Roaddog58

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I was a bit younger, in the early 60s, we would take drain oil from gas stations and such, my kin had a metal tank like a water heater with a drain valve on the bottem and a drain valve about a foot up. we would fill it with water to just bellow the top valve, then add old oil, we would build a fire under it and boil the water and oil, the let it set over nite, then draw off good clean oil. The tank had legs on it and the top was cut out, also it was done under a shed roof. We used the oil for our tractors and such.

JonMolander

I don't have the money to invest by myself. Thus the idea about a co-op. And you can get ready to run set ups, you just connect to your Dirty WMO tanks and a line to your clean storage tank.

Oh, I know what you meant. By helping to build it, I meant I would agree to co-op. It would be nice to find another participant or two before committing though.

How big of a unit are you thinking? Something we can load into the bed of a pickup truck that plugs into 120Vac? Or something larger on a dedicated trailer with its own containers for collecting dirty oil?

Beyond Biodiesel

When I was a bit younger, in the early 60s, we would take drain oil from gas stations and such, my kin had a metal tank like a water heater with a drain valve on the bottem and a drain valve about a foot up. we would fill it with water to just bellow the top valve, then add old oil, we would build a fire under it and boil the water and oil, the let it set over nite, then draw off good clean oil. The tank had legs on it and the top was cut out, also it was done under a shed roof. We used the oil for our tractors and such.
This sounds like an interesting idea for cleaning up WMO. I plan to try.

JonMolander

We would build a fire under it and boil the water and oil, the let it set over nite, then draw off good clean oil. The tank had legs on it and the top was cut out, also it was done under a shed roof.
I believe they also did this in medieval times to dump over the walls on the heads of enemies. Lol, I'm envisioning a witch's cauldron.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, I know what you meant. By helping to build it, I meant I would agree to co-op. It would be nice to find another participant or two before committing though.

How big of a unit are you thinking? Something we can load into the bed of a pickup truck that plugs into 120Vac? Or something larger on a dedicated trailer with its own containers for collecting dirty oil?
I'm thinking it would be just the centrifuge unit with maybe an inline heater, that way it would be very easy to transport. People would likely have their own clean and dirty storage containers, we'd just have to all have the same connectors to make connection easy. 120 would also make it easier for people to run, most everyone has 120v, even if from a generator.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That just sounds inherently dangerous to me...:shock:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I'm thinking it would be just the centrifuge unit with maybe an inline heater, that way it would be very easy to transport. People would likely have their own clean and dirty storage containers, we'd just have to all have the same connectors to make connection easy. 120 would also make it easier for people to run, most everyone has 120v, even if from a generator.
We(not saying I will participate) could build it on a M101 chassis so anyone could transport. I may have a 101 I(we) could use.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We(not saying I will participate) could build it on a M101 chassis so anyone could transport. I may have a 101 I(we) could use.
I was thinking of something just mounted on a stand or a 3'x3' piece of plywood that could be clamped to a workbench. Most of the units I'm thinking of would be less than 100 lbs, and they could easily fit in the trunk of a car.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like both ideas. And camlock fittings are great!
What's the smallest camlock fitting they make? I don't think the lines would have to be that big, probably no bigger that 1/2-3/4" or so, so there's probably a bunch of different ways to go. I haven't gotten that far yet.

westfolk

I don't say much this these days, as some of you that are reading this know, but............when it comes to this topic and what people say for what they want I just have to scratch my head.

Time is the best method to filter WMO, or in my case any oil. I don't care if it's gear, ATF, etc.

Here is what I do, and have done for countless years. All the trucks in the quarry, and the haul trucks on the road running between the quarry and the staging yard run 100% "whatever oil" during the warm months. During early spring and going into fall they get thinned to 50/50...."whatever oil"/diesel. This is, of course, the multifuels. The Cummins never get more than 25% regardless of the time of year.

I dump everything into pallet tanks. You guys call them IBCs or totes. You set the tank down so that the drain valve is higher than the opposite side. Say two inches or so. On the opposite side of the valve at the bottom you put some magnets. Doesn't matter if they are from some old speakers or what they are. Just big enough to have some pull. You keep filling that tank until it is full. Then start filling the next one, etc. After that first one has sat with no agitation for a month or two you open the valve so that it slowly drains. I sit mine up on a rack when full and then sit an empty one in front of it when I go to drain. I let it drain for about a day until it's empty, just to give you an idea of the flow rate. When empty you will see a lot of crap sitting in the tank. Flush it out when you are ready to use it again.
I then take the tank I just filled from the first and drain it into one of my steel storage tanks. When I do this it get's filter through three filters in series starting at 50 micron, then 20, finally 10 pushed by a Redline pump. There you have it thousands of gallons of "whatever oil" each year. My actual time is little because I can walk away from it and let it do its thing. Come back to it the next day and move a few things around and leave it again.
I haven't done the books on 2015's production yet. However, for 2014 I went through 3,200 gallons of "oil" with a cost of $82 worth of filters. IMHO that's cheap. And FWIW none of the filters on the trucks were changed anymore than standard servicing dictates.
You guys can do what you want, but I just don't understand why everyone thinks they have to run it through a centrifuge.
Then again, I don't say much these days. Maybe it's better that way. Can I get a men.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Good to see your still reading even if you don't post much Joseph!

I do a similar process for mine but have thought about using a "fuge". I have lots of 10 micron and 5 mic filters so thats why I haven't worried too much about it. If the guys want to use the pump and filters I've got, I'll offer it up here.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks