• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WMO users in Ohio?

maa45069

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just looked it up you're right most dryers spin at a maximum of 2000 RPMs but some commercial ones spin up to 3900 according to a quick Google search

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just looked it up you're right most dryers spin at a maximum of 2000 RPMs but some commercial ones spin up to 3900 according to a quick Google search
But you still need the proper type bowl, machined and balanced, to separate out the waste.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, so I think I'm close to getting a setup, it would filter 55 gal. of WVO or WMO in 2-4 hours depending on how dirty the oil is. It would be mounted to a drum already, so it would easily fit in most larger SUV type vehicles, vans, and obviously pickups. It shouldn't be very heavy as it would be able to be disassembled. It has a drum heater, pump, centrifuge, and transfer pump. I'd set it up so that you'd have a dirty oil tank, filter in the drum, and then transfer to a clean oil tank.
My question is, what do you think it would be worth charging for say a week's use? I'm not trying to get rich, but just cover the cost of transport and some cleaning items and wear and tear. It of course would have to be cleaned before being returned, but that shouldn't be too hard. And who all's interested??

edit, I actually have it narrowed down to two types of units, a pressure unit and a gravity unit, both about the same price and with heat capability.

Last edited:

coachgeo

old as hell thread..... but in case anyone in Southern OH does wmo...... particular in a CAT 3116 (or vw tdi) would love to pick your brain

Mt_Man

I don't think cat's injection system like wmo or wvo much. But I don't have any experience or heard much about people trying. Heard good things about pre-'03 tdi though. Again no practical experience myself but just things I have read on the interweb.
Sorry I am not much more help. Hopefully some one might know. Cheers

Mt_Man

I googled "steel soldiers alternative fuel cat 3116" and it brought up several threads about alternative fuels. You might have found them already by now

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
LOOKY WHAT I JUST GOT!!!!!

centrifuge 1.jpg

Got it from PA Biodiesel Supply. It's a 120 GPH centrifuge unit, complete with everything, just have to pick up a couple of drums tomorrow morning. I also have a thermostat control coming so I can limit the maximum heat from the band heater. It's 1300w, so I'll have to do some tests to see how long it takes to heat up the oil. It's supposed to be at least 170 to spin, but I'd like to see if I can get it closer to 200 degrees to better cook out any moisture. My oil has been settling for a couple of years now in drums, so it should be ready to go. I also am going to do a video on the set up I'll have, and a couple of mods I have in mind. I hope to have it running in a week or so, I want to make a cart to put it on to make moving it around easier. I may think about renting it out, but I have to think about what all I'd require to do that.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, so I got it all set up! But I'm going to wait for warmer weather to fire it up, I don't want to have to heat up the oil when it's only 30 degrees. I'd like to not spend a bunch on electricity to heat the oil when I can get mother nature to help for free. When I get it up and running, I'll keep track of how long it takes to get it up to the right temp. They say it should be at least 170, but I'm going to try for closer to 200.

DaneGer21

Looks like a great setup; for me it would take a few years for the pay off as I don’t run 100% wmo or lots of mileage. I usually mix 70% wmo, 20% diesel, and 10% gas.

Now, if my house could burn it, and my shop, then it would definitely pay off faster!

Keep us posted! Ohio native myself…

ToddJK

I always thought the idea of a centrifuge was intriguing, just never had the space or money for one. I have been going through a lot of wmo, over a thousand gallons of it within the last year or so. I use filter socks and filter one 55 gallon drums worth at a time and I like to keep at least 2-3 drums full of filtered oil. For every tank, I add two bottles of HEET for water and one bottle of cheap fuel injector cleaner. Change the fuel filters when I change the oil which is usually twice a year, three if I done a lot of idling and hard driving. Before I started using fuel injector cleaner, I noticed the truck ran like crap off just diesel or fuel thinner out with gasoline. I figured the float was getting stuck in the FDC. I got it unstuck by adding 4 bottles of fuel injector cleaner to the tank and running it often. Since doing that adding a bottle every tank stops it from happening. This is important when I would run 100% wmo in the summer months coming up to the winter months when I would add 50-60% diesel/gasoline. I would like to know though how well this centrifuge works and if it's worth the investment.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I always thought the idea of a centrifuge was intriguing, just never had the space or money for one. I have been going through a lot of wmo, over a thousand gallons of it within the last year or so. I use filter socks and filter one 55 gallon drums worth at a time and I like to keep at least 2-3 drums full of filtered oil. For every tank, I add two bottles of HEET for water and one bottle of cheap fuel injector cleaner. Change the fuel filters when I change the oil which is usually twice a year, three if I done a lot of idling and hard driving. Before I started using fuel injector cleaner, I noticed the truck ran like crap off just diesel or fuel thinner out with gasoline. I figured the float was getting stuck in the FDC. I got it unstuck by adding 4 bottles of fuel injector cleaner to the tank and running it often. Since doing that adding a bottle every tank stops it from happening. This is important when I would run 100% wmo in the summer months coming up to the winter months when I would add 50-60% diesel/gasoline. I would like to know though how well this centrifuge works and if it's worth the investment.
Supposedly from the sources I've seen, this system can filter down to 0.5 microns or more, which should be more than fine. I think I've seen some people say that they only filter down to 5 microns.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
It's amazing how small that really is, we can't even see stuff that's 1 micron let alone .5 micron. A human hair is like 50-70 micron if I remember correctly.
Seems to be that you are pretty "spot-on" @ToddJK .
Your question made me go look...

1672344406463.png

I would say that something filtered to a half micron is pretty dang finely filtered!

Superthermal

On my M813 with the NHC250, I am planning on removing my battery box and tool box from the passenger side and adding two more fuel tanks. One will be a 78 gallon matching the original on the drivers side and a smaller 55 that is typical for the towing rigs to go under the passenger door. My thought is to keep the 55 full of filtered WMO and the other 78 full of Diesel. Each tank will have its own transfer pump which will move its contents over into the original 78 gallon tank that will be used as my "running" tank.
I see this working as follows: When I see my main running tank is at 1/2, I flip on the transfer pump for the larger diesel tank, and I fill the running tank until it is just over 3/4 with diesel. I then flip on the 2nd smaller WMO transfer pump and top it off to full with the WMO. This would in theory keep me running about 50/50 WMO to diesel and I could do less WMO easily depending on how it is running on the cocktail. Now I know this motor will run much better on diesel fuel. But if I was to add oil even just 20% would be interesting.
Yes,the Cummins is not the WMO guzzling monster that the Deuce is but from what I am seeing in threads here, it can run up to 50/50 max and do OK in summer.
If this is the way I go, I have also considered putting in the selection valve the towing model trucks had, where I I will run on straight diesel for startup and shut down. But swich to the WMO mix in the "running" tank when warmed up and motoring around.
These are my initial ideas. Now questions for this project. Will having a HT60 turbo or HT3B help or hinder running WMO on a Cummins? Thoughts? Now if WMO is not going to cut it I will at least have 78 +78 +55 gallons or a bit over 200 gallons on truck in a low center of gravity location. This matters when your saddle bagging 1400 lbs of fuel

Last edited:

silverstate55

Useless
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The turbos will definitely help; your big issue will be visible smoke…running WMO will generate some. IIRC Utah allows around 20% opacity for exhaust, particularly up in the Wasatch Front with its inversion layers. Adjust the percentage of WMO added to your diesel for the desired exhaust opacity if necessary.

ToddJK

On my M813 with the NHC250, I am planning on removing my battery box and tool box from the passenger side and adding two more fuel tanks. One will be a 78 gallon matching the original on the drivers side and a smaller 55 that is typical for the towing rigs to go under the passenger door. My thought is to keep the 55 full of filtered WMO and the other 78 full of Diesel. Each tank will have its own transfer pump which will move its contents over into the original 78 gallon tank that will be used as my "running" tank.
I see this working as follows: When I see my main running tank is at 1/2, I flip on the transfer pump for the larger diesel tank, and I fill the running tank until it is just over 3/4 with diesel. I then flip on the 2nd smaller WMO transfer pump and top it off to full with the WMO. This would in theory keep me running about 50/50 WMO to diesel and I could do less WMO easily depending on how it is running on the cocktail. Now I know this motor will run much better on diesel fuel. But if I was to add oil even just 20% would be interesting.
Yes,the Cummins is not the WMO guzzling monster that the Deuce is but from what I am seeing in threads here, it can run up to 50/50 max and do OK in summer.
If this is the way I go, I have also considered putting in the selection valve the towing model trucks had, where I I will run on straight diesel for startup and shut down. But swich to the WMO mix in the "running" tank when warmed up and motoring around.
These are my initial ideas. Now questions for this project. Will having a HT60 turbo or HT3B help or hinder running WMO on a Cummins? Thoughts? Now if WMO is not going to cut it I will at least have 78 +78 +55 gallons or a bit over 200 gallons on truck.
Eventually I'll add another tank myself, 50 gallons goes by fast when you aren't paying attention, lol. I usually just keep 3 55 gallon barrels in the back filled with filtered oil and usually I mix about 10 gallons of gas for each one, with an electric transfer pump on the side, makes for filling the tank quite easy but I'd still like to have an additional tank. However, I still need to get spare tires yet so an extra fuel tank isn't a priority for me right now. If you ever do that with your truck, I sure would like to see how you do it. You moving your batteries inside the cab under the seat then?

Superthermal

Eventually I'll add another tank myself, 50 gallons goes by fast when you aren't paying attention, lol. I usually just keep 3 55 gallon barrels in the back filled with filtered oil and usually I mix about 10 gallons of gas for each one, with an electric transfer pump on the side, makes for filling the tank quite easy but I'd still like to have an additional tank. However, I still need to get spare tires yet so an extra fuel tank isn't a priority for me right now. If you ever do that with your truck, I sure would like to see how you do it. You moving your batteries inside the cab under the seat then?
Yes, Moving the batteries into the cab under the passenger seat. This will help with "anti-theft". I would be doing a box. Haven't decided exactly how big yet but needs four batteries and a decent 24 to 12v converter and battery manager/tender built in. Box may need to extend over the floor hump in my cab to have the extra parts in it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks