• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fording Project

A Blind Man

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Ahab ! Though wreckerman I believe has all of us beaten on gauges ! Or is it cranetruck ? My mind cannot remember anything anymore unless I write it down ! Though I can remember torque specs from differentials and transmissions I worked on 30 years ago !
I think QUADJEEPER has had the most I've seen, but I dunno, guess i need to lurk more

A Blind Man

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You don't need to lurk, A Blind Man, go ahead and get on your soapbox and say something.

Folk will tell you if they tire of you.

:jumpin::mrgreen:
But that sounds like effort, I mean, what, a soapbox is like a foot and a half tall? That's far too much vertical movement, horizontal is much easier... Though I suppose the Side step for the deuce us about the same height so methinks I'll just go drive around for a bit and get back to you on the soapbox thing.

Relatedly to the fording project great work rusty already getting plans together in my head to do mine. (thank you scrap bins at work) Not sure if this might be relevent, would you maybe want to put a manual bleed check/relief valve before your regulator so that should you lose air pressure (broken air line, compressor malfunction, too much horn use?) while fording any pressure in the axles/bellhousing will stay (assuming a tight seal) then after you are done fording just smack a button and release the air?

rustystud

But that sounds like effort, I mean, what, a soapbox is like a foot and a half tall? That's far too much vertical movement, horizontal is much easier... Though I suppose the Side step for the deuce us about the same height so methinks I'll just go drive around for a bit and get back to you on the soapbox thing.

Relatedly to the fording project great work rusty already getting plans together in my head to do mine. (thank you scrap bins at work) Not sure if this might be relevent, would you maybe want to put a manual bleed check/relief valve before your regulator so that should you lose air pressure (broken air line, compressor malfunction, too much horn use?) while fording any pressure in the axles/bellhousing will stay (assuming a tight seal) then after you are done fording just smack a button and release the air?
That "check-valve" idea is not bad ! It would involve installing another "solenoid" to release pressure when the switch was deactivated and a "check-valve" but it would provide a little safety margin if as you say the electrical went out. Of course since the differentials and transmission and transfer-case all are loosing air at a steady rate it wouldn't give you much time to get out of the water.

A Blind Man

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That "check-valve" idea is not bad ! It would involve installing another "solenoid" to release pressure when the switch was deactivated and a "check-valve" but it would provide a little safety margin if as you say the electrical went out. Of course since the differentials and transmission and transfer-case all are loosing air at a steady rate it wouldn't give you much time to get out of the water.
Darn you leaky seals, you are the bane of fording vehicles everywhere!

rustystud

View attachment Scan0235.pdf Here's my electrical diagram for the radiator fans. I still need to buy a small aluminum box for the relays, and then mount it near the radiator. I also have the two 24volt military fans ready to go. I will need to remove the radiator shroud though.
I'm still waiting on a engine temperature sensor I ordered. I'm also completing my "towing wiring project" .
Don't worry. There is a fuse in this circuit. In fact my main Ignition power goes into my fuse box and through a relay, supplies all my accessory power.

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Here's my electrical diagram for the radiator fans. I still need to buy a small aluminum box for the relays, and then mount it near the radiator. I also have the two 24volt military fans ready to go. I will need to remove the radiator shroud though.
Where do you source that kind of thing, rustystud?

rustystud

Well I'm closer to actually finishing my Fording Project. The machine shop finally finished my hose adapter that allows me to use a 1/2" NPT "coolant temperature sensor" to control the electric radiator fans.

012.jpg014.jpg

I should cut the machine shop some slack though. This was just one of over a dozen projects they have been working on for me. They can only fit me in between major jobs so the wait is not to bad.
This "adapter" is made from stainless steel so it could be made thinner then if it was made from aluminum. This allows me the same flow as a normal radiator hose. The adapter will be mounted between the radiator upper inlet and the thermostat housing. This will give me an accurate reading of the coolant temperature. I'm sure some are asking why did I need an adapter in the first place. Well I used up all the 1/2" NPT holes on the manifold for my dual cab heater system and the normal engine temperature sensor.
At one time I thought about drilling and tapping my own hole on the manifold, but there really isn't a good place to do that. The walls are to thin. They are only thicker where they installed a threaded hole which I already used up.
So now I need to install my dual electric fans and the relay box and it will be done.
With the flip of one switch I can enter the water safely to a depth of 6 feet (easily) with no worries of my radiator fan splashing water all over my engine or having water leak into my differentials, transmission, transfer-case or going up my engines vent tube.

rustystud

I think I was reading some where that NASA spent big bucks on a pen that would write in space. Now the Russians said no problem they took a pencil. You took a trip over seas so Alaska should be on the next to do list and it is closer to you than Europe.
The trip to Europe was for the wife and son. At first I wasn't going to go, but they prevailed.
It was a once in a lifetime trip. I don't ever plan on another one ! For one the cost is insane. Two, Europe isn't all it's cracked up to be. They actually make you pay a Dollar just to piss !!! Really, who does that ? Third, all they have are old dusty buildings that all look the same after awhile. Fourth, there is not a single can of "Root-beer" in all of Europe !!!! They never heard of the stuff !!! I love root-beer and actually go to this small brewery in Snoqualmie Falls that makes there own private label stuff with real "Sassafras Root" . That's how much I love root-beer. Fifth, there is no air-conditioning in Europe. They don't believe in it as it is bad for the environment. Well dying from hear exhaustion is bad for my health ! Europe is in a major heat wave at this time. Sixth, yes they have some pretty cool museums, but dealing with thousands of people ( a whole lot from China by the way) pushing and shoving you to see an exhibit is not what I call a fun afternoon.
There are a whole lot more reasons I will not be going back but this should give you an idea.
We might go back to England though. I never got a chance to see Dave (dmetalmiki) up there above London. Sorry Dave !

Last edited:

rustystud

I think I was reading some where that NASA spent big bucks on a pen that would write in space. Now the Russians said no problem they took a pencil. You took a trip over seas so Alaska should be on the next to do list and it is closer to you than Europe.
OK, I need to come clean here. I was just paying my hospital bill for my Heart Attack in April. The truth is I need to get in a little better shape then I'm in right now before I attempt a 1400 mile round trip with no medical facilities for hundreds or even thousands of miles away. The cruise was no problem. After all they cater to an older clientele who might at anytime drop over with a heart attack. They have a real good medical facility on board. I checked ! So before my son and I attempt this I need to be healthier. Also having someone else besides my underage son along would be an added benefit. There has been a few who said they would like to go, but they are still working on projects and cannot give a firm answer now.
So I have been working on the house construction project and the "land reclamation project" (clearing the land to plant grass again) . Five acres is a lot of land to clear ! The shop is scheduled to start construction in October so that area needed clearing first. So this summer almost nothing has been accomplished on the deuce. I still need to install my power steering system, check all the brakes, and finish the cab window project. I still drive the truck around, but when the power steering project begins it will be deadlined for months !
So unless you want to come up here and lend me a hand "Floridianson" not much will be happening on the deuce front this summer.
By the way. I'm feeling much better now. They finally got me on a medicine that would lower my blood pressure without making me sick ! For awhile after my attack it would not go down lower then 240/140 . Now I'm at 140/75 !!!

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
By the way. I'm feeling much better now. They finally got me on a medicine that would lower my blood pressure without making me sick ! For awhile after my attack it would not go down lower then 240/140 . Now I'm at 140/75 !!!
Ouch! That's still way too high on the high side, but the medicine may take several months to bring that part down. Also depends on when you take it. I've found that my blood sugars are better controlled when I take the Metformin with my evening meal, instead of before bed. If your BP meds are once-a-day, taking them in the morning might be better (I split my dose) if you are able to take aspirin in the evening, just before bed. That's what I'm doing. YMMV.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I told the doctor that I am a high performance machine and I require a higher pressure than normal folks. I don't like meds as for the side effects and I am not on any. Loose the salt is one key way. There seems to be way to much salt in everything processed these days you injest so I just try real hard not to add more. Kinda like your TV dinners there Greg.

Last edited:

rustystud

Ouch! That's still way too high on the high side, but the medicine may take several months to bring that part down. Also depends on when you take it. I've found that my blood sugars are better controlled when I take the Metformin with my evening meal, instead of before bed. If your BP meds are once-a-day, taking them in the morning might be better (I split my dose) if you are able to take aspirin in the evening, just before bed. That's what I'm doing. YMMV.
I tried taking the meds in the morning. It didn't seem to work as well. I take them now at 7:00 pm. I've been on the aspirin regimen for years now. Also taken at night.

rustystud

I told the doctor that I am a high performance machine and I require a higher pressure than normal folks. I don't like meds as for the side effects and I am not on any. Loose the salt is one key way. There seems to be way to much salt in everything processed these days you injest so I just try real hard not to add more. Kinda like your TV dinners there Greg.
I've been off salt for years now, though I do eat a French Fry every now and then ;-) . Your right though, it is extremely difficult to get away from eating salt in todays world. Everything has added salt ! The wife took away my TV dinners a few years ago now. It took awhile, but I don't miss them anymore. Ah, healthy living. Then of course I had a heart attack ! Maybe I should have kept eating what I wanted all along ! Of course then I probably would be dead, not just complaining about my diet.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks