• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

identifying a 5 ton axle with a locker

my blood flows OD

Is there any type of plank or markings on an axle that has a differencal locker in it? Or is there any thing on the truck that will tell you?
I found a M-809 style bridge truck in a bone yard and was wondering if the axles might have lockers.
once again just looking for wisdom🤓

my blood flows OD

Drivers door? Is that where it will tell me if it has a locker? Or what branch of service it was in?
I was just thinking being a bridge truck it was more then likely army Corp of engineers or sea bees. Or am I way off. I have nothing to base that off, just guessing.

thanks guys, learning is occurring.

phil2968

Jack up one tire on the last axle. Grab the tire and turn it really hard forward or backwards, doesn't matter. A standard diff will not turn except for the play in the gears. A locker will unlock and the wheel will spin free until it slows down and will suddenly lock.

sandcobra164

I've seen that plate located on the driver's door, the passenger door, the glove box door on M809 series trucks, and the passenger side of the dash on M939 series trucks. All USMC trucks as I work at MCLB Albany. Quick note though, I'd perform Phil2968's test. When trucks undergo rebuild, they get stripped to the frame rails and built back up again. There is no guarantee that it came back out with the same axles installed from the factory as experienced by Monkeyboyarmy. He got lucky. If it's a bridge truck, it's likely that it does have lockers but once again, try before you buy. We have an old M812 on base with the factory 14/20 NDT's dualed in the rear and spacers on the front. It has that data plate on the glove box door. Interesting old truck and it has a TEAD rebuild tag from the mid 80's.

I've bought a few sets of the 800 series bridge truck axles and none ever had a locker. and incase no one knows those have a 3" wheel spacer on the front but the rear axles are wider and have spacers. the housing itself is 6" wider than a regular 5ton axle then they put a 1.5" on the hub too so overall they 9" wider

dilligaf13

I've seen that plate located on the driver's door, the passenger door, the glove box door on M809 series trucks, and the passenger side of the dash on M939 series trucks. All USMC trucks as I work at MCLB Albany. Quick note though, I'd perform Phil2968's test. When trucks undergo rebuild, they get stripped to the frame rails and built back up again. There is no guarantee that it came back out with the same axles installed from the factory as experienced by Monkeyboyarmy. He got lucky. If it's a bridge truck, it's likely that it does have lockers but once again, try before you buy. We have an old M812 on base with the factory 14/20 NDT's dualed in the rear and spacers on the front. It has that data plate on the glove box door. Interesting old truck and it has a TEAD rebuild tag from the mid 80's.

nopicsnopics

sandcobra164

I'd love to provide pictures but 2 problems. MCLB Albany has an issue with taking pictures on base with personal cameras. The job I have is much better than many other jobs available locally so I'll obey their policy. 2nd problem is they have DRMO'd off all but about 9 M939 series 5 tons. Most of them are M934 and only one has a locker dataplate. One M925A1 has that dataplate as well. The M812 Bridge Truck is still there as well. No other M809 series are on the base.

sandcobra164

Kenny,
It has a fording kit and lockers!!! Front winch wire rope has never been payed out as it has the duck cloth wrap that has been sitting so long it's rotted from the sun. The cable lays perfectly underneath the dilapidated cover. The tires still hold air but they are the NDC 14 20's. It runs a spacer on the front axle and is still dualed in the rear. I tried to slave start it a few years ago. It spun over but never started and never made smoke. If i ever see it marked for auction, I'll send you a message. From what I can tell, it was rebuilt by DOL in Ft. Knox in the 80's, got mis-shipped to the Marine Base and never issued. Time hasn't been great to it but it's only cosmetics and probably every rubber hose needs replacing.

Stevepala

I've bought a few sets of the 800 series bridge truck axles and none ever had a locker. and incase no one knows those have a 3" wheel spacer on the front but the rear axles are wider and have spacers. the housing itself is 6" wider than a regular 5ton axle then they put a 1.5" on the hub too so overall they 9" wider
The axles I have are not any wider the my M929. The measurement on the rear axle from housing flange to housing flange is the same. The front axles is also the same width. Photos are in the parts for sale section.

my blood flows OD

The yellow paint is what has me wondering.
I remember a conversation I had with a guy a few years that I bought a M-35a2 off.
He was telling me about a truck scraper in Revere Ma. that had a set of axles like yours that came out of a truck that was an airport runway fire truck.
I remember thinking, why would a runway fire truck need lockers?
those are so nice. I'll buy them Thursday if I win power ball.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks