• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

identifying a 5 ton axle with a locker

The axles I have are not any wider the my M929. The measurement on the rear axle from housing flange to housing flange is the same. The front axles is also the same width. Photos are in the parts for sale section.
The axles you have came out of an oshkosh M1500 From all my research I've done over the years that is the only thing they used them in as a set. there were some civilian uses but they only used the rear axles. The wider axles I'm talking about are out of the 800 series bridge trucks.

74M35A2

Thanks for the info. That was somewhat coveted until now. I have located a vehicle being parted, and I really just want the front air locking axle, but they guy does not want to do the labor to do so, and wants the entire chassis remains with all 3 axles, hauled away. Entire chassis price is about 1/2 the price of the most recent poster asking of $3500 for all 3 air shift axles. But, it is states away, so I'm trying to figure out a way to make this work. If somebody wanted the rears only, it could then make sense to try and recover this. For now, I am just upping my offer price to have him remove the front axle. If somebody wanted air lock rears only, let me know what you would pay and what state you are in, and we'll see if we could make this work. Now acquiring quote to have this chassis trucked to MI.

Last edited:

74M35A2

Closer to the west coast (NV), so your location of PA probably doesn't help unfortunately. Thanks for the offer. This sucks. I could have what I want, and somebody could have both air locking rears for $500 each, then minus what they could scrap the chassis for (trans and transfer case still in truck, all wheels attached and aired up, etc....). Body and engine have been removed and are gone. You're right, scrap is so low right now, we are just chucking unwanted steel and iron items directly into the dumpster at work. May even be doing it with copper and aluminum next. China quit buying because their market tanked. If you were to drive out there and back, I would pay for the entire chassis, you could scrap it there, and bring the 3 axles back, drop my front off on the way, and take the rear two home with you. I would cover your cost of buying the rear axles for making the trip, plus you would keep the scrap $. You'd be out your time and fuel. But that's a tremendous amount of driving from the east coast, I think you'd pass, unless you are currently not working and bored.

wcuhillbilly

are we talking 900 series axles with air brakes and lockers????? for that kind of $ I may could convince the wife to let me in on the deal. I would take both rear axles and scrap out the rest if its feasible... Know A flat bed trucker that may have connections that far west. If it could be dropped in my area or hop scotched up to me I can easily pull the dissasembly so all your looking at is a small pile of parts to either come after or meet, say somewhere in the edge of south dakota? Heck dueceman isnt but about a half days drive from me,,, between a few of us we can likely that axle over to minnisota, maybe Andy at Army 6x6's place.
Been looking for a way to put lockers and air brakes under my 816.
PM me or holler,
Joe S. 307-282-0773

Last edited:

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the info. That was somewhat coveted until now. I have located a vehicle being parted, and I really just want the front air locking axle, but they guy does not want to do the labor to do so, and wants the entire chassis remains with all 3 axles, hauled away. Entire chassis price is about 1/2 the price of the most recent poster asking of $3500 for all 3 air shift axles. But, it is states away, so I'm trying to figure out a way to make this work. If somebody wanted the rears only, it could then make sense to try and recover this. For now, I am just upping my offer price to have him remove the front axle. If somebody wanted air lock rears only, let me know what you would pay and what state you are in, and we'll see if we could make this work. Now acquiring quote to have this chassis trucked to MI.
Throw my M1061 on the trailer on the way out! :-D

74M35A2

are we talking 900 series axles with air brakes and lockers????? for that kind of $ I may could convince the wife to let me in on the deal. I would take both rear axles and scrap out the rest if its feasible... Know A flat bed trucker that may have connections that far west. If it could be dropped in my area or hop scotched up to me I can easily pull the dissasembly so all your looking at is a small pile of parts to either come after or meet, say somewhere in the edge of south dakota? Heck dueceman isnt but about a half days drive from me,,, between a few of us we can likely that axle over to minnisota, maybe Andy at Army 6x6's place.Been looking for a way to put lockers and air brakes under my 816.PM me or holler,Joe S. 307-282-0773
Joe, yes, full air brake M939 type axles (7t in 5t clothing, but larger axle shafts I think?), and I will call you tonight. Thanks. -74

Last edited:

74M35A2

lol yeah that's a drive. there were 2 fronts Michigan. but we bought those a while back. I know a guy up there I can call to see if he has acquired anymore.
Of course there were. I'm in MI and just want a single front. Didn't start looking until you said it could be added and CTIS retained (done so was the part I valued), so, like, yesterday. I'll trade you leads if he has one. Otherwise, will maybe try to work something out with the poster from WY. Thanks all.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks