• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Underbody Protection Kit

Just installed a few things in the HMMWV and I thought that I would share this one. I picked up the underbody kit a few months back, but just got around to the install. I will start by saying that the install was not too bad, but I had to do some minor modification. I borrowed this first image from Suprman (whom I also purchased the kit from). Here's what it looked like when I got it:

s-l1600.jpg

And here how it looks installed:

20160106_111505.jpg

The piece marked with the arrow is a piece of 3/16" A36 steel channel that I added so that the front skidplate had something to attach to. Maybe the kit assumes use of a winch? Not sure, but maybe someone else could chime in.

20160106_111517.jpg
20160106_111616.jpg
20160106_111652.jpg
20160106_111750.jpg

The fuel tank skid plate was flapping around and making quite a racket, so I made a bracket to attach the back end of the skid plate, which was causing the noise, to the rear crossmember. Unfortunately I forgot to take a picture, but just wanted to add a helpful hint.

20160106_111840.jpg

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are winch and non-winch kits....front is different.

I could not tell you exactly, but based on having everything zip-tied together and two guys lifting it, I would estimate something around 120 lb.

I mostly just like the way they look but I drive on a lot of skidder trails on some land I have and figured the kit wasn't a bad idea.

racingjoe66

I am looking at getting a kit too like you did in your post here. But I was wondering if anyone knows who makes the extra skid plate on the one in this pitcure that covers the fuel tank and transfer case? UCP Rollover.jpg

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
UCP Rollover.jpg

I'm sure there is a reason for that spiderweb of bars, but I think that thing could hold you up some if trying to slip over solid objects. I understand the benefits of it being open (for mud/water) and not a smooth sheet of steel, but man-oh-man, I can see that thing hooking on a rock and not wanting to give up!

I guess that's when the 5-ton comes out and winches you... scraping over/past the obstacle. No holds barred, Darn the torpedos!

Last edited:

Spyderman

When I had mine I built a complete set up out of chromoly. It was super strong. I could place a single jack in the middle of the truck and lift it completely off the ground. Set it back down and it would go right back to its original self.

Shark Bait

When I had mine I built a complete set up out of chromoly. It was super strong. I could place a single jack in the middle of the truck and lift it completely off the ground. Set it back down and it would go right back to its original self.
That was my thoughts, looks to be easily duplicated and one could probably seriously improve the design making it himself.

Dave

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes that is the place! I found it super late lastnight. And wow just for that piece they want $875.00 plus shipping, crazy
Send me the dimensions and I will let you know how much I can make you one for. I can make anything flat ,b bent, or rolled up to 1" thick AR. After that, well I am too old to lift it :)

mdes0

Hi Dr Zoldberg, Could you share some details for that piece of 3/16 steel channel you had to add for the front protection? Running into the same issue with my 91 m998. Was hoping you could provide the dimensions of the channel. Thanks,

sermis

Is there a rubber or something that goes between the fuel tank and shield?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks