• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Adding hydroboost brakes??

brian s

Just wanted to thank all of you for your posts as I have learned a lot. I have owned my m35a2 for 13 years now and love it!!
Time to fix the brakes I bought a new master cylinder and air pack but was wondering if anyone has ever tried putting a hydro Bost system on?

davo727

I dont have a M35 but what you need is a hydromax from a medium duty truck which has an electric motor driven emergency pump built in so if the engine quits you still have brakes unlike a little hydroboost from a one ton which only has a tiny accumulator which gives you close to nothing.

daytonatrbo

I have a hydroboost setup on my bobbed deuce along with a disc brake kit from a F-550.

More information can be found here:
http://hanksdeuce.com/hydroboost_install.htm
http://hanksdeuce.com/disc_brake_conversion.htm

And here:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...ore-Project!&p=1549904&viewfull=1#post1549904
I wonder what the hydroboost master would do with the stock deuce drum brakes. I imagine it would have more boost than you would want due to it being used with disc brakes.

Still curious what could be done with the stock brakes and a more modern split master with something-other-than-pneumatic assist.

rustystud

I wonder what the hydroboost master would do with the stock deuce drum brakes. I imagine it would have more boost than you would want due to it being used with disc brakes.

Still curious what could be done with the stock brakes and a more modern split master with something-other-than-pneumatic assist.
Actually the master cylinder in the Air-Force deuces (dual brake system) is a modern design. With the newer style "short Air-Pac" you really have a modern system there. Peashooter (Aaron) was selling master cylinders that had all the goodies on them including warning sensors for low fluid. So unless your also replacing all the brakes with calipers I wouldn't go with anything else but the factory setup (dual system) from the military.

daytonatrbo

Actually the master cylinder in the Air-Force deuces (dual brake system) is a modern design. With the newer style "short Air-Pac" you really have a modern system there. Peashooter (Aaron) was selling master cylinders that had all the goodies on them including warning sensors for low fluid. So unless your also replacing all the brakes with calipers I wouldn't go with anything else but the factory setup (dual system) from the military.

Yeah, I'm familiar with the dual brake master that came on some of the later trucks. I'd still like to see what can be done to move away from air-assist.

rustystud

Yeah, I'm familiar with the dual brake master that came on some of the later trucks. I'd still like to see what can be done to move away from air-assist.
If you want to get away from air-assist there are a few options like hydraulic or electric. The problem is the deuce was never designed with those systems in mind. So for the Hydraulic system you will need a dedicated pump and all the hoses and valving. For the electric system you will need an alternator that can handle the power output needed for that little motor.
With the deuces "air-assisted" system you already have everything. Remember all over the road semi-trucks use air brakes. There is nothing bad or old or antiquated by using air pressure to power your brakes. Now if your going to use "Caliper" brakes then you must go to hydraulics. If you have the money I would say "go for it !" . I would love to be able to put all caliper brakes on my deuce. They stop better and are easier to replace the pads versus changing out shoes. There is just no way I can afford them now. The good news is though I don't need to go to caliper brakes to make my deuce stop. It already stops extremely well with the stock system.

daytonatrbo

If you want to get away from air-assist there are a few options like hydraulic or electric. The problem is the deuce was never designed with those systems in mind. So for the Hydraulic system you will need a dedicated pump and all the hoses and valving. For the electric system you will need an alternator that can handle the power output needed for that little motor.
With the deuces "air-assisted" system you already have everything. Remember all over the road semi-trucks use air brakes. There is nothing bad or old or antiquated by using air pressure to power your brakes. Now if your going to use "Caliper" brakes then you must go to hydraulics. If you have the money I would say "go for it !" . I would love to be able to put all caliper brakes on my deuce. They stop better and are easier to replace the pads versus changing out shoes. There is just no way I can afford them now. The good news is though I don't need to go to caliper brakes to make my deuce stop. It already stops extremely well with the stock system.

"Typical" air brakes, as found on semis and even 5 ton MV, have a much better failsafe than ours. In that they fail on. Granted, your brakes trying to go full-lockup may not be ideal either, but its better than trying to use the engine or traffic to stop your rig.

If I were bobbing my truck, I'd go the same route that Hank went with his deuce. The individual components aren't really that expensive. But sourcing 6 rotors at $100-$150 is a little rougher than 4. Same for the calipers, etc. I haven't looked into the hydroboost master, but I'm sure they can be found in junkyards.

I'm constantly torn between keeping my truck as "cheap and simple" as possible, and making it something that I don't think twice about hopping into and driving to work (my commute is all mountains and tight turns).

For my purposes, I'm going to be completely going through the brake system and upgrading the existing softlines to something better, and making real sure all my hard lines are in order. That and a remote reservoir that I can more easily monitor would make me feel better about the hydraulic side. Eventually the USAF dual circuit system would be a bit of peace of mind.

I would like to add another air tank for emergency braking, with some sort manual valve to bring it online in case of a braking-without-air emergency.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone added a relatively inexpensive pinion brake to use as an emergency brake?

daytonatrbo

Has anyone added a relatively inexpensive pinion brake to use as an emergency brake?
The pinion spins much faster than the wheels. Pinion brakes are not advisable for trucks that are driven at speed.

Fully loaded, a deuce would smoke a pinion brake very quickly.

Maybe if you had a rotor on the input and output flange of each axle, you might start to have enough power dissipation to do something useful.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I specified the use of the pinion brake as an emergency brake. I know is spins much faster. That is also why it is very effective for braking. Monster trucks using military axles use pinion brakes and they get them to glow bright red from the heat. But they darned sure stop. And this would be using a disk brake and pads which are much more tolerant and forgiving of the heat.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks