• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Yugoslavian BOV APC

mswymn

I have a former Yugoslavian BOV 10 person APC. It's an 80s vintage and runs well. It has an air cooled Duetz diesel engine. I've been having problems with the air system overpressuring. I'm looking for a mechanic or service manuals for this vehicle. I live in Ponchatoula Louisiana and would greatly appreciate any help I can get to sort the problem.

Attachments

dmetalmiki

Welcome to the site hobby and events to come. That is a very tidy looking vehicle. If the air system is reading too high pressure, does the systen "blow off" (loud hiss) when pressure reaches the high pressure you mention?
Inform us of the actual pressure reached. (before blow off)
If the system is not blowing off it is unlikely it is overpressureising.

mswymn

The air pressure goes to read on the dial. The blow off valve never seems to release. I think that may be the problem. Eventually the compressor will lock up while the engine is running and it will burn up the belts

dmetalmiki

there should be a regulator valve somwhere on the cylinder head of the compressor. Or one of the lines should go to a feed back regulator. Guess you are going to have to explore the "unkown" with that truck. Good luck and keep us posted.

mswymn

Thanks for the info. This vehicle seems to be rare in the U.S. so I may have to look elsewhere for manuals. If all else fails I'll just tear into it until I figure it out when I have the time. I'll certainly let you know how its going.

dk8019

This guy looks a lot like a V-100, very cool! I suppose a pressure regulator could easily be installed down stream of the compressor, set it to 100-120 PSI or so, and let it do it's thing. Could be the factory one has died.

Nice looking APC!

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome from south of you and very cool!

TimnTrucks holds a La SS rally at his place in Ponchatoula usually around April. I know all of the LA members would like to meet you and see your neat mv. :)

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
This guy looks a lot like a V-100, very cool! I suppose a pressure regulator could easily be installed down stream of the compressor, set it to 100-120 PSI or so, and let it do it's thing. Could be the factory one has died.

Nice looking APC!
I was thinking V-100 too when I saw it. And yes, surely a generic pressure regulator could be used in place.

tim292stro

Thanks for the info. This vehicle seems to be rare in the U.S. so I may have to look elsewhere for manuals. If all else fails I'll just tear into it until I figure it out when I have the time. I'll certainly let you know how its going.
The vehicle may be rare, but the way air systems work is rather common. Even trucks made overseas have the same or very similar equipment - as the design of air systems is old-school knowledge.

Any industrial supply company should be able to source an overpressure blow off valve. GET TWO: 1) for the compressor head, 2) for the first air tank.

Air compressors in heavy vehicles usually have an unloader, which is controlled by the governor. When there is no pressure in the unloader, the compressor valves are engaged and the compressor will build pressure. When the governor trips, it pressurizes the unloader and the valves are held open to prevent the build of pressure. This is the first place I'd look - at the compressor itself. If there are any missing hoses or things that look like they may have been capped off by someone who didn't know what they were doing, that would cause the compressor to run until it locks up (or your hoses and air tank explode).

If the governor fails, it'll likely have to be replaced - the D-2 governor is probably the most common part to source and you can find them everywhere. Even if the D-2 is not the original part what you need to start with is the function of what is supposed to occur.

Verify that you have unloader plumbing in the compressor, verify that there is a governor, then verify the air lines to the tanks are open/un-obstructed. Important to know if you've never touched an air system before is that if you run it cold and it has moisture in the lines, pressure changes are enough to freeze the water and plug up the lines.

Modern air systems have a desiccant drier, older systems had alcohol vapor injection. If you're not a hard-on for 100% accurate restoration/repair, you can move to a modern system for pressure generation. The AD-9 dryer is really common and cheap and will cover most air volume drying needs (unless you run a ton of air accessories constantly, and I mean a lot).

More pictures would help those of us understand what you're dealing with, and would enable us to give you better info.

Last edited:

mswymn

Thanks for all the input. Vehicle has been fixed and is running well. I’m going to sell it. If anyone’s interested please let me know

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks