• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Snow Plow Trucks and Spreaders

cucvrus

DSCF6335.jpgDSCF6334.jpgDSCF6338.jpgDSCF6343.jpgDSCF6341.jpgDSCF6342.jpgPlowed a lot of snow this past 2 weeks. Suffered some damage to the truck. the truck looks pretty good in these pictures. But up close up Big Red has some battle scars.DSCF6337.jpgDSCF6346.jpgDSCF6347.jpgA few dents , scrapes and bangs. But this was an exceptional rough winter. Body on these plow trucks is just cosmetic. Still plows the same. I have an over stock of sun burnt and faded tail lamps and this is what I use them for. They do not go to waste. DSCF6339.jpgGoodyear Duratrak LT23585R16 Best tires I have on a 1 ton plow truck. All around good tire. Last about 15 - 20 K under 50% off road conditions. Excellent weight carrying tires and hold up well under severe use.

cucvrus

Thou shalt not remove large snow piles with heavy equipment when one does not know the lay of the land or what is behind the snow pile on the back side. This is a new truck that was sent back from a new car dealer. it is not fixable. It is pretty new and it has been totaled. The loader operator was a contractor removing snow piled at a dealer and hit the front end after someone pile snow in front of the white van.

Attachments

cucvrus

DSCF6351.jpgDSCF6350.jpgDSCF6349.jpgDSCF6348.jpgThe roads to and from the lots were terrible. This is a main route and the wind was howling and blowing the road shut. I plowed the road several times going back and forth on trips. Plowing at 40 MPH is a bit different in a small truck. i drove large interstate plow trucks in the past but this CUCV is low and a lot of snow hits the windshield. It is about 18F in the pictures. Much colder if you figure in the wind chill factor.

CUCVLOVER

Thou shalt not remove large snow piles with heavy equipment when one does not know the lay of the land or what is behind the snow pile on the back side. This is a new truck that was sent back from a new car dealer. it is not fixable. It is pretty new and it has been totaled. The loader operator was a contractor removing snow piled at a dealer and hit the front end after someone pile snow in front of the white van.
It's totalled?

cucvrus

DSCF6203.jpg2 weeks ago I had to abandon the Crown of Thorns M1009 in the blizzard. I am assuming the injection pump went south. Technically it did. it went south to diesel care in Memphis TN for the $275. rebuild special. DSCF6406.jpgToday it came back. Looks very nice. And as always I know it will work just dandy. As soon as i can get to it I will put it on. I do not have a heated garage. I tough it out on many projects but this one would be nicer in warm. I will give it a whirl this weekend. As long as it is not raining snowing or blowing. Thanks for looking.

cucvrus

Today I used the Voodoo M1009 to do some grading. I drag a steel beam section behind it in 4 LO. The plow pictures will not load but the engine pictures did. This is a complete stock M1009. I have been running it off road since 1999. It has a lot of oil residue at the oil fill and I had it out on the highway about 2 times in the past 17 years. I just had an entire new exhaust system and 4 new Firestone tires put on it before the start of winter. Check out this engine.DSCF6537.jpgDSCF6535.jpgIt runs 40 hours minimum a week and stays on a 50 acre stone/dirt lot. Very few days absent from the job. It does use a quart of oil every week and when I get a chance I run it around in 4 lo so the engine can get cleaned out a bit. When I had it out on the road it smoked so bad you could not see behind me for the first 7-10 miles. That cleared up and it ran like a different truck. Have a nice day.

CUCVLOVER

Today I used the Voodoo M1009 to do some grading. I drag a steel beam section behind it in 4 LO. The plow pictures will not load but the engine pictures did. This is a complete stock M1009. I have been running it off road since 1999. It has a lot of oil residue at the oil fill and I had it out on the highway about 2 times in the past 17 years. I just had an entire new exhaust system and 4 new Firestone tires put on it before the start of winter. Check out this engine.View attachment 615354View attachment 615353It runs 40 hours minimum a week and stays on a 50 acre stone/dirt lot. Very few days absent from the job. It does use a quart of oil every week and when I get a chance I run it around in 4 lo so the engine can get cleaned out a bit. When I had it out on the road it smoked so bad you could not see behind me for the first 7-10 miles. That cleared up and it ran like a different truck. Have a nice day.
Oil is cheap so if she starts run her.
My grandpa had a Ford f350 crew cab dually 2x4 that he pulled his camper with at the last. It has that 7.3 power stroke diesel in it. Well him and grandma would stay the winter in Florida in their camper and use the truck when they where down there. Most of the time only running about 30 mph on those crowded roads where they stayed. He told me he stopped at a red light and a big Dodge with the Cummins diesel pulled up next to him and acted like he wanted to run. Pop told me when it went green he punched that Ford and he said I don't know if I could have beat him again but I did that time. Black smoke rolled out of the Ford and the guy in the Dodge couldn't see nothing lol.
All that slow cruising had built up a lot of crud in the exhaust and it was time to come out.

cucvrus

DSCF2354.jpgDSCF2355.jpgDSCF2356.jpgDSCF2357.jpgDSCF2358.jpgDSCF2359.jpgDSCF2361.jpgDSCF2362.jpgDSCF2360.jpgDSCF2353.jpgThis week started out pretty cold and icy. I was pushing and dragging steel today. At days end I had spread 24 tons of salt and anti skid. And the big yellow truck was brand new last week. Still is I guess but needs some remodeling done to it. Both the plow trucks are sporting new springs the whole way around and new shocks and all the steering linkage and steering boxes. All parts except springs came from my favorite local Autozone. Big Red has a rebuilt transmission and transfer case and plows like an old army truck. I have a few newer trucks and would rather drive them. But I step up and take the old iron. The melting a freezing process seems to be hanging i there yet. It never went above 40 today. Another long day in. Happy Holidays.

cucvrus

DSCF2363.jpgDSCF2364.jpgDSCF2365.jpgDSCF2366.jpgI made another nice score of oak blocks today. and a while back I scored the boarding ladder at the scrap center. They throw away the strangest things at the local base. Today I delivered 800 lbs of food and clothing to the local shelter.I used Big Red and the ladder was handy getting in and out of the bed of the truck. Not sure if it was designed for the CUCV. But it works like it was made for it. Probably for a Dodge 880 or something at one time. GM got smart and built steps in the corner of the new pick up rear bumpers and hand holds in the rear bed corner pockets. WOW how easy was that? It took that long to figure that out? Happy Holidays.

86m1028

GM got smart and built steps in the corner of the new pick up rear bumpers and hand holds in the rear bed corner pockets. WOW how easy was that? It took that long to figure that out? Happy Holidays.
Sad thing is it wasn't gm that came up with that, it was an aftermarket bumper company that did, gm finally got the hint
& copied them.

cucvrus

Matters not who. Just nice that they did it and the hand holds on the rear corner pockets is a great little add on. I seen a new bumper on an older truck and it fit rear well. They are not as rugged as the old bumpers but it still looked and functions nice. Happy Holidays. I have my scrapping, salting and plowing done for now. I can hear the CUCV being digested when the shop is quite. Hopefully it is just the new flat bed. I just checked into Truck Lite LED plow head lamps. 80880

Universal, LED, 7 in. Round, Snow Plow Light, 23 Diode, Polycarbonate, 12-24V, Kit

dougco1

What are the LED plow lights retailing for? I'm waiting for the LED truck-lite headlight prices to fall some before I buy. I love how they look on your Mule.

cucvrus

Micro 3 fuse.jpgJust when I thought I had seen it all. These are the fuses that are in the 2017 Ford F550 that I was mounting a trailer brake controller on. They call it a Micro 3 and it serves 2 circuits I assume or they built it so you can flip it. Just wanted to share this. They also have Low Profile minis in newer trucks imports and domestics. Not CUCV related but I was adding a snow plow to this truck and came across these fuses. Happy Holidays. 
MICRO3™ Blade Fuses Rated 32V
[FONT=Univers 45 Light,Univers 45 Light][FONT=Univers 45 Light,Univers 45 Light]The MICRO3™ Fuse has 3 terminals and 2 fuse elements with a common center terminal. Its sub-miniature design meets the need for more circuits to be protected while utilizing less space and its ability to cope with high temperatures in adverse environments makes the MICRO3™ Fuse of recommended choice for protection.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]Specifications
[FONT=Univers 47 CondensedLight,Univers 47 CondensedLight][FONT=Univers 47 CondensedLight,Univers 47 CondensedLight]Voltage Rating: 32 VDC
Interrupting Ratings: 1000A @ 32 VDC
*Component Level Temperature Range: -40˚C to +125˚C
**System Level Temperature Range: -40˚C to +105˚C
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Univers 47 CondensedLight,Univers 47 CondensedLight][FONT=Univers 47 CondensedLight,Univers 47 CondensedLight]105°C is a typical system level temperature requirement.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Univers 47 CondensedLight,Univers 47 CondensedLight][FONT=Univers 47 CondensedLight,Univers 47 CondensedLight][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Univers 47 CondensedLight,Univers 47 CondensedLight][FONT=Univers 47 CondensedLight,Univers 47 CondensedLight]Terminals: Ag plated zinc alloy
Housing Material: PA66
Conforms to: SAE 2741 and ISO 8820-3 in reference to electrical, mechanical and environmental performance requirements I just wanted to share this so you can say. Yes I have seen them before.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Last edited:

Awol

My old M1008 was a beast in the snow. It had a 9' Fisher MM on it, 4" lift on 35's. Moved some serious mounds.

cucvrus

DSCF2551.jpgDSCF2552.jpgDSCF2553.jpgDSCF2554.jpgDSCF2555.jpgDSCF2556.jpgDSCF2557.jpgDSCF2558.jpgAnother 12 hour day of plowing and salt spreading. No problems with the CUCV's except the lighting fuse burned up in the Voodoo M1009 plow truck. Not pictured. I had a 1998 K2500 that the rear brakes locked up and I had assumed the rear went out. To my surprise I cannot see anything wrong with the rear with the cover removed. I pulled the axles and ordered all new drums , wheel cylinders, axle seals, self adjusters, hardware kit and brake shoes for the rear. Only the right rear wheel locked up twice and it would not release. It drug the right wheel into the shop. I ordered a new master cylinder, calipers and brake pads. I just replaced all the steel brake lines earlier in the year. Rust never sleeps. I will be working on replacing the plow lights with truck lite LED snow plow lights. All will work out in the end. Good thing is no broken drive shafts, u joints, or transmission, transfer cases. The best tires for plowing in PA is the Goodyear Duratrack LT23585R16. I am on my 4 set on the Big Red M1008 plow truck. Take care have a great day.

Digger09

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jersey Indian was hard at it. Other than a wiper blade that decided to play hide and go seek in the snow all was good.

cucvrus

DSCF2559.jpgDSCF2560.jpgDSCF2562.jpgDSCF2561.jpgDSCF2563.jpgDSCF2564.jpgDSCF2565.jpgDSCF2566.jpgAfter a day of plowing I smelled hot diesel fuel and discovered the useless pressure switch was leaking. Easy fix. I removed the leaking switch tapped the hole and put a set screw in. I vacuum tested the seal and screw and it held for an hour. I then applied some Permatex Right Stuff and left it sit over night. I will have it back on the truck in the AM. This is another area that the Mighty Vac pump comes in handy. That is what I used to find the leak. I applied pressure thru the top bleeder screw and it would spray a slight mist each pump of the Mighty Vac. That was easy. No major redesign needed. That switch only works with the under dash diagnostic connector. I never used that connection in 22years. Good Bye to the switch.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks