• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The VTCS m756a2 Pipeline Truck

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I need to check what's left of my TMs. One of the -10 updates had an entire 756 section that another update doesn't have. I also have some other M756A2 literature somewhere I need to find.

The Company I work for is putting in 30 miles of 12" pipeline this summer I am hoping to get it restored and maybe some pictures with some pipe work going on. I couldn't imagine doing that kind of work with this truck, I would like to see the work the Army or Navy used this for.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Yesterday we started the brackets for the tackle block used at the back of the truck.
IMG_2318.jpgIMG_2320.jpgIMG_2321.jpg
Here's the finished block next to an original we borrowed from Keith.
IMG_2322.jpg
Should work good.
IMG_2319.jpg
We're in the market for a set of 2 stake pocket adapters in the unlikely event anyone has some to sell, we could build some that function the same but we're not worried about having them right now.
IMG_2323.jpg
Here's one of the 3/4" pear shaped links we're using to attach the boom chains to the trunnion. 73m819 was very nice to send me one so I'd have a matching set of 2, thanks Ron!
IMG_2221.jpg

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Coming together Jon. The block looks factory. My truck had 2 sets of side pocket adapters. Thought Keith ended up with both sets, maybe not.

We are going to see Keith in a couple of weeks at the Sussex show and return the loaner parts. He does have extras of some stuff, we will see if he wants to sell it. We bought the chain that supports the boom arms from him in one length that's some big chain!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We are going to see Keith in a couple of weeks at the Sussex show and return the loaner parts. He does have extras of some stuff, we will see if he wants to sell it. We bought the chain that supports the boom arms from him in one length that's some big chain!
It's just like a 5 ton wrecker chain, only longer. That is one heavy sucker to wield around.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Yesterday evening and today we removed the seats, the convoy lights, spotlights, and a couple other small things
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
Removed the headache rack to make painting the winch and the back of the cab easier.
image.jpgimage.jpg
Also removed all of the wood floor since it's a bit rotten.
image.jpgimage.jpg

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What are your plans for wood? Cranetruck has made a few sets of boards for pipeline beds using yellow locust. Stuff is hard on nails and saws but wears like iron.

rustystud

What are your plans for wood? Cranetruck has made a few sets of boards for pipeline beds using yellow locust. Stuff is hard on nails and saws but wears like iron.
I've never heard of "yellow Locust" . Is that some East Coast wood ? Also how expensive is it ? and does it do well in damp raining conditions ? I need to replace all my wood on the troop seats and want something that will last and is strong.

Another Ahab

Locust is a common East Coast wood species, and was used traditionally for all the "snake-rail" fences you see commonly in photos of the Civil War era (see below).

It's also the species for the first honey-flow for beekeepers out this way. I don't know that it's commonly timbered commercially though, likely just slashed as a weed species I'm guessing. Anybody here know?

PS Good red oak would probably do you just fine.

fences.jpg

iatractor

Last week, I could have used that rig to set up a radio tower at my place. This truck is on my list of one to find and purchase some day. You can always have an M35A2, but you aren't always going to have an M756A2.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Last week, I could have used that rig to set up a radio tower at my place. This truck is on my list of one to find and purchase some day. You can always have an M35A2, but you aren't always going to have an M756A2.
That's one of the nice things about it, it's not something you see everyday and it's also more useful than a regular cargo truck for most situations.

Most likely the bed floor will be a type of oak.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Removed the passenger door and cut out a small amount of rot, and then forgot to take pictures of it welded up.
IMG_2385.jpgIMG_2386.jpg
Prepped the front of the cab protector, the back of the cab and the interior for paint.
IMG_2397.jpgIMG_2395.jpgIMG_2396.jpg
Semi gloss OD, my brother did a lot of the painting.
IMG_2398.jpgIMG_2399.jpgIMG_2400.jpgIMG_2401.jpgIMG_2402.jpg
Won a lot of 8 of the correct blocks from GL out of Groveport, OH so we should be all set for gin pole operations (if we can get someone to pick them up).:D
73807748_gl_tiny_thumb.jpg

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
We painted a few more things today like the hardtop, seat frames, and windshields.
IMG_2407.jpgIMG_2410.jpg
Also the block for the rear anchor
IMG_2411.jpg
the block for the front winch
IMG_2409.jpg
and some bridge plate pieces with some vintage surplus paint in the right color.
IMG_2408.jpg

Also, as I expected this truck does not have lockers. We're 0 for 2 on m756a2 trucks so far!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It was customarily thought that all pipeline trucks had Detroit Lockers. They are not in any TMs and I am 0-2 on it too. Both of mine were sans lockers.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
True with 5 tons. The M756A2 with lockers were supposed to be Seabees trucks of which I've had 2. Not sure what branch Keith Boda's truck was but it reportedly has them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks