• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The VTCS m756a2 Pipeline Truck

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Yesterday we had a chance to do some more stenciling including the hood and door stars, and the circle for the bridge weight on the door. These paint mask stencils were made by our friend Rick Larsen who was also a big help in getting this truck home to VT. Thanks Rick!
IMG_2888.jpgIMG_2890.jpgIMG_2889.jpg
We'll add the registration number to the sides of the hood soon.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I know I'm late to the party, but I have some metal marker lights and black out markers if needed. Let me know if you want pics.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
That's a great looking piece of history you have there!
Thanks!
I know I'm late to the party, but I have some metal marker lights and black out markers if needed. Let me know if you want pics.
Thanks Gimpy. I think we've got everything we need for marker lights, we've just got to sandblast the housings and put them together.

onemanarmy

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Drove the truck out the tent today, then added new headlights, new convoy lights, the worklights, and about half of the clearance lights. We also repaired some parts of the harness and my brother modified the wiring under the dash so the front park lights come on with the headlights. All the lights work so far! We're going to make new auxiliary light harnesses, there is one for the lights at the top of the cage, one for the clearance lights at the front of the bed, and one for all the rear clearance lights.
IMG_2944.jpgIMG_2946.jpgIMG_2947.jpgIMG_2949.jpgIMG_2950.jpg

tommys2patrick

Not sure if this was asked before, my apologies if so. What are your plans for the bed--steel plate, diamond tread, wood, some combination of materials. not sure but I think the original what just flat steel plate. This is a great looking truck. Hats off for saving and the wonderful job you've all done.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
It will be wood held down with metal strips, which is original for the pipeline trucks. We've got all the wood set to go, it just needs to be painted and a few boards need some cutting to fit the stake pockets and anchor points.

tommys2patrick

It will look great I think. 2 x 6 or similar? I saw one that had been modified at some point in its life and it had a steel deck. So I thought this was perhaps the way they came. Kind of like the sides of a deuce bed were just cut off.

I assume this will have parade duty mostly? Any place your average Joe can some see?

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
The boards vary from 1.5x3.5 to somewhere around 1.5x8. The truck will lead an easy life, but it will see some use here and there. In the next week or so we're hoping to get all the essentials done to get it road worthy, including new brake lines, engine hoses, filters and fluids changed. After a couple shakedown runs it's going right to work towing home a couple deuces from across town.
Pics and hopefully some video will be posted.:)
IMG_2927.jpg

Another Ahab

It will be wood held down with metal strips, which is original for the pipeline trucks. We've got all the wood set to go, it just needs to be painted and a few boards need some cutting to fit the stake pockets and anchor points.
Have you considered staining the boards, instead of painting them?

The only reason I ask is that the problem with paint is that it can flake off over time, but stain doesn't present that problem (it's "in" the wood; not "on" it). But maybe you knew that already.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
We've thought about it but painting it will give it the look we want.

It smokes a little under load... It hasn't ran for years other than since we got it home, and who knows how long since it's been run hard. Hopefully it will clear up with some clean diesel run through it and some drive time.
IMG_2957.jpgIMG_2958.jpg
The auxiliary harnesses and all the lights are now on the truck and all of them work. We still need to tidy up some wiring here and there.
IMG_2959.jpgIMG_2960.jpgIMG_2965.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks