• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air-O-Matic help

Bowtie70SS

I just started trying to put the air-o-matic steering on my truck. I received it with springs and cups out of the valve and I need to know how all of this stuff goes together. I looked at the one TM 9-2320-386-24P but it does not show the assembly of the parts. I assume maybe only one spring goes into each end? The reason have no idea is because the seller included some new parts as well and the old drag link had springs on both sides of the cups. Thank you.

Bowtie70SS

Thanks, I was gonna call you but I think I figured it out. I need to do few things still but the bulk of the work is done. I have it in my garage and I need to chase a few oil leaks and do my PMCS

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chris, has anyone documented taking this apart? I found some older threads but the links go dead. I'll keep looking as I need the details for mine. But I'm researching to see if a pilot controlled valve and accumulator might be a better alternative. That requires making the link valve into a pilot signal valve (simpler, smaller valve)

This "link" part is obviously a key component to power steering, turning force that overcomes a spring in the drag link, both directions, into opening valving to pressurize or relieve pressure with minimal hysteresis (time to react).

Please help me out. Describe the operation of this valve and cylinder and any details like metering in or out or both and if the rate of the response is fast enough. While I have had 2 deuces, one sold, they are projects, not daily drivers.

I'm okay with air if it works right, but I have the feeling that limiting the flow volume with 1/4" (maybe 3/8") lines gives a rather long response time that could be improved significantly with a valve and some supply accumulator, with larger lines, at the cylinder (not the drag link). The drag link would still have 5 lines but smaller with some steel brake lines or such. The larger line could be made to 1/2" or so.

Oh my....as I think about the operation of this valve and cylinder it is indeed complex. For example, without air supply does it hold air on both sides of the piston, making turning difficult, or is the pressure released? The operation is like my jail door lock valve but would allow free flow from A-B in the center (spring return to center). That would allow unrestricted turning in an a "no air" condition.... fail safe. Some type of additional flow control could be used to dampen the movement too.

Ideas????

Last edited:

lokkju

Jumping in here, but a recent thread on air-o-matic is too tempting to resist; does anyone have the specs for the u-bolts or know where to source them? I just acquired a working pull, but it was missing the u-bolts, and I can't find measurements anywhere.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks