• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WWII Sea Bee port pics

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
My neighbor Glen passed away maybe 20y ago. Glen was a CB in WWII. He said that while in Anzio he was using a bulldozer to push stuff, including boxcars, into the water, to make a dock. The ground gave way and the dozer slid into the bay. They pushed more stuff over the top using it as fill.

The other story he told me was when he was in North Africa, maybe Libya. He was sleeping in a tent with a buddy when late one night a bad guy with a big curved knife cut thru the side of the tent. His buddy shot him with a 1911 Colt.

Attachments

Last edited:

FrankUSMC

Did any one else notice that a lot of the equipment was very used. The International trucks, and dump trucks looked to be new trucks, but the Dodge ambulances, jeeps, and some of the construction equipment look used. Could this have been equipment used by the army, and turned over to the Seabees as the units departed the states?
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

Another Ahab

I was stationed at Hueneme in the 80's, and never knew the history or the scale of the operations there during WWII (I guess my Navy had other fish to fry at the time).

Very cool to recognize all this now. Thanks for the post!

Piper Cub

Wow that's an impressive assembly! It's amazing to think that things in those pictures used to be as common as M105's and deuces but are now seen as museum pieces more often than they are seen out in the wild.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks