• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire?

FXR1969

This is the worst tire on the truck, as I have no experience with them
If it was on my everyday truck I would replace,
Whats y'all s opinion???
Thanks!image.jpgimage.jpg

JohnnyBM931A2

Is that a 14r20? I've seen a few pictures on here of 14r20 Michelins that disintegrated while guys were driving. I believe the cause was cracks in the sidewalls like you show.

If it's a 14r20, I know there's a guy on eBay that sells 90% Goodyears for $175 each. I believe he is located in Virginia. Freight probably wouldn't be too bad, and you're getting a tire that's almost new. Or you could drive the 10 hours to pick it up :p:driver:

FXR1969

That was a dumb ? I asked are they like normal tires that are marked tubeless?? there is a local guy that sell them also I think the name is military off-road tires?
Anybody had any dealings with them???

whats the best overall tire?
or is it ask 10 people get 15 different answers!!! Lol
brand?
size?

Last edited:

MuleMac01

Military vehicle collector
Do not use that tire as a steer tire if it blows you going for a bad ride.. but if its on your drive axles unloaded and you're not taking long trips should be fine for a while. But I would get a newer tire if I where you.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Do not use that tire as a steer tire if it blows you going for a bad ride.. but if its on your drive axles unloaded and you're not taking long trips should be fine for a while. But I would get a newer tire if I where you.
This. As long as it isn't on the front axle, you'll be fine for a while.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That was a dumb ? I asked are they like normal tires that are marked tubeless?? there is a local guy that sell them also I think the name is military off-road tires?
Anybody had any dealings with them???

whats the best overall tire?
or is it ask 10 people get 15 different answers!!! Lol
brand?
size?
You may want to read all of this thread .
Militaryoffroadtires .net

acme66

On the rear's I would run it.

About tubes in a 14:00x20: Had issues with mine sealing on the rim and finally broke down and took it to a heavy tire place. They swore that a tube would fix it, Michelin ZLs. I thought that was a bad idea but they showed me on the tire and in their books where it said tubes were ok. I let them do it. 70 miles later the tube let go, thankfully at a slow speed. It looked to me like the hole in the rim where they had removed the valve stem was too large and the tube tried to force itself out until it tore. Maybe you could have done it if you slip a fender washer over the valve stem of the tube before putting it in so that it could not force itself out. I only mention this because because at the head of the thread it mentioned tubes. The Michelin X I had peal on me had a crack form which let the air out and then it shredded itself pulling over. Again came apart at low speeds. Anyway if you are stuck with the choice of new tubes or new tires that was just some information I had experience with. I chose new tires but if stuck with it I would try a tube again on the rears with that washer on the stem... but I would be ready to change it.

Ken

Gunny65

I have first hand experience with checked tires just like that one. It blew out at the 400-ish mile mark. There was nothing left but steel cords and some bits of rubber. Luckily it was on a rear axle. I would not trust it. Low speed, it is probably okay. Highway speed, it will pop, you just won't know when.

FXR1969

I am going to get the spare down look at it,hope it's in good shape if not then off to look for some tires!!!!!
Where is the (best) place for it the rear most axel or the middle one??

FXR1969

It's on a 939 a2
im not sure on if xl,xlz
was going to look today but we are slammed at work, been having to work on it outside
but got me a spot cleared out, so hopefully I can spend some more time on it
the spare is about wore out so that's out
it would work in a pinch!!
will update as soon as I can
Thanks for everyone's help!!!!

Csm Davis

It's on a 939 a2
im not sure on if xl,xlz
was going to look today but we are slammed at work, been having to work on it outside
but got me a spot cleared out, so hopefully I can spend some more time on it
the spare is about wore out so that's out
it would work in a pinch!!
will update as soon as I can
Thanks for everyone's help!!!!
There is no truck that is a 939 that is the series.

JohnnyBM931A2

While we are on the subject of tires.. Is it bad to have a little cracking in between the treads on these 14r20's? Nothing on the sidewalls, but some of mine do have some cracking in the "valleys" between the raised portions of tread.

FXR1969

There is no truck that is a 939 that is the series.
It was late,now its early I got so many #s running thru my head!!! Between this truck and the one my buddy bought that the clutch is gone!
I get confused! So slow down take a deep breath! I will find out the exact info post later, I think for safety reasons I will replace it as soon as I can, if it was just me in it but I got two nephews in there also gotta take care of them!
Need a drivers window regulator also
Is there a (go to) web site to order parts like that? big mikes motor pool, e bay Thanks!!

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Need a drivers window regulator also
Is there a (go to) web site to order parts like that? big mikes motor pool, e bay Thanks!!
Both of those work well, and there any many other places. My favorite spot is just posting a Want ad in Steel Soldier's Classifieds "Parts Wanted" forum. And in the mean time I price shop by visiting:

eBay
Big Mike's Motor Pool
Erik's Military & Industrial Surplus
Real Custom Trucks

And the following "Big Box" guys almost always have whatever I'm looking for but generally for a premium and a phone call:
C&C Equipment
Boyce Equipment
Memphis Equipment
TNJ Murray

You can even buy parts from folks parting out vehicles on the Facebook page "M939 Series 5 ton Military Trucks..."

And I'm sure others I forgot

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks