• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1078 won't start & no lights etc.

D Foster

Hello all. My 1994 m1078 has been dead in the water for over a month now. I had replaced the batteries a couple of months ago and it was working fine with no problems. Last time i used it was at a holiday parade and returned home, parking it. Went back out 3-4 days later and nothing. Not a click at the master switch, engine doesn't crank and no lights, etc. I do have proper volts up to my distribution box at the 24 & 12 volt post. I read a thread to check k1 relay by jumping the two pins #30 & #87 to try and crank engine over, still nothing. I also went to the starter solenoid and tried jumping that to start the engine and still nothing. The main post on the solenoid still has power and hot. I am thinking maybe a relay or circuit breaker but really not sure which one and where i would find them to replace if need be? Any assist and imput on this problem would be appreciated.

Ukraine Train

I'm not sure on these trucks, but typically the power at the starter solenoid comes directly from batteries. So if you jumped the posts and the starter didn't engage, then I would suspect low/dead batteries or maybe bad ground. Trace the battery cables and check for breaks or corrosion maybe.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
There is a separate 24v power lead to the starter and solenoid right from the batteries. 12v and 24v go from the batterie into a reverse polarity protection box and then out of that and make their way into the cab. Measure for both voltages there and then at the 12 and 24 volt posts left side of the breaker relay panel. If no voltage troubleshoot backwards. If proper voltage present then troubleshoot breaker relay panel.

Cj99205

Where is the reverse polarity box. My Fire station is having the same issue with both of our m1078s one went down last year and now one this year. 3 mechanics have looked at it and are lost.

coachgeo

Where is the reverse polarity box. My Fire station is having the same issue with both of our m1078s
one went down last year and now one this year.
3 mechanics have looked at it and are lost.
does your Fire Dept. have a computer with the TM's on it? Would certainly help them for situations like this.

All the TM's (technical Manuals) for the 1078's thru 1998 are available on this board. See front page of this board

Last edited:

Cj99205

No we done where can we get that.

Last year's truck just lost all power to the dash. Nothing comes on.

This year's truck returned from a fire. Went to go move it and had power but wouldn't crank. Let it sit then it cranked but it wasn't a continuous crank it was hit, nothing, hit, nothing, hit and then would start. Like a solenoid was tripping. Then it lost all power like the other one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

coachgeo

No we done where can we get that. ...
MANUALS section on Front page of this bulletin board under "Present Conflict Vehicles" . in there link to below post with all the file PDF links.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?118919-M1078-TM-s

NOTE:
With a quick eyeballing of these as I downloaded them the numbering of the LMTV 1078 manuals from 1998 is that manuals are all:

TM 209-2320-272-##: For the LMTV

where -##: = below

10......... is Operations
xP........... is Parts AND Special Tools
34........ is Maintenance / laymen's terms- General Service and upkeep
20........ is Service/Technical -Repair manuals / for us tractor guys..... Factory Service Manuals

coachgeo

PS- Suprman and some others in here though are your best source to get you pointed in the right direction though till your guys learn the ways of how to use the TM's. There is a learning curve and of course never is everything in the manual so post up your issues and folk here will help steer you.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
First thing you need to make sure you have 4 good fully charged batteries and all the terminal connections are clean and on tight. Then go to the breaker panel with a multimeter and confirm you have 12 and 24 volts there on the left side binding posts. Once this is confirmed then we can move forward with diagnosing any problems.
Will

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
jump it see if the truck cranks. If you have power at the breaker panel see if the fuel solenoid has 24v with the dash power switch on.

coachgeo

jump it see if the truck cranks. If you have power at the breaker panel see if the fuel solenoid has 24v with the dash power switch on.
To jump it as Will suggest; he's recommended here before to use a single wire with a male spade on each end. Place this into the slots of the removed Circuit Breaker. If this fixes the issue then the Circuit Breaker has at fault. If not then it is earlier before or after the breaker where the issue is.

You might also want to remove and clean each circuit breaker then put it back in. Try cleaning the female contacts on the board as well. This has been known to solve issues too.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks