• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear main seal

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Or just call a vendor and buy one.

icecreamman

I have to go through this when the weather breaks. I think I will order said gasket when the clutch, pressure plate, alignment tool and throwout bearing is ordered. Can't be expensive.

My local parts house got me a National seal pn415725 which was the second choice? Apparently the first choice wasn't available. Anyone see a problem with this seal?

I don't want to hijack a thread. Just hopefully inform others of problems found with this task.

fpchief

I have to go through this when the weather breaks. I think I will order said gasket when the clutch, pressure plate, alignment tool and throwout bearing is ordered. Can't be expensive.

My local parts house got me a National seal pn415725 which was the second choice? Apparently the first choice wasn't available. Anyone see a problem with this seal?

I don't want to hijack a thread. Just hopefully inform others of problems found with this task.
That is the seal I have. About $40.00

fpchief

I had the transmission within about 1/2 inch of going in all the way. Won't go any further. Is that a sign of clutch plate not aligned exactly right? I did not use an alignment tool.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Is there anything the trans is hitting on? Usually if it goes partially in, your good to go. Do you have the shifter in the right position to suck the rod at the back of the trans in? We had an issue putting one in and that rod sticking out the back is what held us up.

fpchief

Nope. Rod in, and nothing hitting. Trans shaft goes in the pilot bushing about 1/2" right? Figured that is what it has to be. Also not hitting anything outside for sure.

mark salanco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there any tricks to holding the motor still while trying to unbolt the flywheel? I believe the tm has you removing all kinds of items up front to hold it up there. Just trying to find a cheat somewhere.
I ran a couple long bolts in the bellhousing plate, then tightened them a little, this put enough pressure on the flywheel, to keep the engine from turning. I was able to use a big breaker bar.

mark salanco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My clutch was slipping, and I thought my rear main seal was leaking and causing the problem.
So I pulled the transmission and discovered it was gear oil, that was leaking and getting on my clutch. The transmission was replaced a couple years ago, with a rebuilt unit, along with clutch, pressure plate, pilot bushing and throwout bearing.
I pulled the input shafts cover and discovered there was no seal on it. The vent hole had a plug in it.
I hired that work out, now I whish I had done it myself.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
My clutch was slipping, and I thought my rear main seal was leaking and causing the problem.
So I pulled the transmission and discovered it was gear oil, that was leaking and getting on my clutch. The transmission was replaced a couple years ago, with a rebuilt unit, along with clutch, pressure plate, pilot bushing and throwout bearing.
I pulled the input shafts cover and discovered there was no seal on it. The vent hole had a plug in it.
I hired that work out, now I whish I had done it myself.
No excuse for the plugged vent hole, but you know these trannies don't use a traditional front seal, they have the weird grooved input shaft that's supposed to repel the gear oil back into the trans?

I think Jeepsinker was working on a new style retainer housing that would use a seal, can't remember where that project stands.

mark salanco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't open the file, it says it's damaged.
So what seal is this reference to, the rear main engine seal, or a mod for the transmission input bearing?

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I pulled my transmission for leaking out the bell housing hole and replaced the rear main, someone had used RTV on the front of the transmission housing and stopped up the drain back hole.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks