• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

VHF / UHF setup questions

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would like to put a VHF/UHF setup in my LMTV. I recently got my HAM license (General Class). My idea is to find a military VHF/UHF antenna and use it with a modern civilian mobile radio. At least for now I am thinking VHF/UHF since those are common for repeaters and handheld radios. I have an antenna base on mine now, but I think it is the base for an AS-3900 antenna, 30-88MHz. The tag is missing and the base has been painted, but it looks like the photos I have found. The base appears to be an integral part of the antenna and used for impedance matching. Based on that, I am thinking I will need the appropriate base to go with one of the VHF/UHF antennas. Suggestions? Anyone else done this?

Last edited:

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In reading the specs on these antennas, they say they do not require an antenna tuner. Has anyone tried one with a tuner anyway? It may not be required, but if it helps then why not? The specs show high VSWR around the common 2m and 70cm bands.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
In reading the specs on these antennas, they say they do not require an antenna tuner. Has anyone tried one with a tuner anyway? It may not be required, but if it helps then why not? The specs show high VSWR around the common 2m and 70cm bands.
The only luck I've had without a tuner in ham radio is when I'm using a 2m and 70cm antenna. Of course the units built for these bands tend to be a little more forgiving with SWR. When it comes to HF though, I've only had luck with fan dipoles when it comes to not needing a tuner. Course, you have to "tune" them when you construct them for the various bands. (I have a fan dipole for my base setup in 80,40,20,15,10, and 6m)

The Antenna 86hmwv mentioned sounds like the best option. The upside with that is if you get a quad band radio you can take use of 6M. 10M *might* work, but it'll be very close. Are you planning on doing a lot of simplex operation or repeater?

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only luck I've had without a tuner in ham radio is when I'm using a 2m and 70cm antenna. Of course the units built for these bands tend to be a little more forgiving with SWR. When it comes to HF though, I've only had luck with fan dipoles when it comes to not needing a tuner. Course, you have to "tune" them when you construct them for the various bands. (I have a fan dipole for my base setup in 80,40,20,15,10, and 6m)

The Antenna 86hmwv mentioned sounds like the best option. The upside with that is if you get a quad band radio you can take use of 6M. 10M *might* work, but it'll be very close. Are you planning on doing a lot of simplex operation or repeater?
In the beginning at least I think I will mostly be on 2m and 70cm for repeater use. The only radio I have right now is a handheld. As I get more into the hobby I may do more with the HF bands. I have a lot to learn, but it is fascinating! For now I would like to be able to reach the broadest audience, which seems to be VHF/UHF repeaters. I am thinking it would be handy for convoys and events like the GA rally if I ever make it to that one!

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some of the mounting bases have a built-in diplexer. The radio I will end up using may only have one antenna output. Would it be bad to use a combiner to feed both ports on the antenna base?

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Harris RF 3183 on right, and a different Harris RF 390 and Shakespeare SF 3512/vrc on left.
All 30-512 Mhz.
DSC_0931.jpgDSC_0932.jpg

turnkey

You could use a Collins dipole ant. rig...We use it for the UHF/VHF rigs, we use with the AN/WSC-3 V (6) radio;s we use at the site....Currently we have 16 WSC;s for send /Rec here at Great Lakes ET A school....also use a auto Coupler to run 4 WSC's to one Dipole Collins ant. Have used the single ant rigs to 1 WSC-3 and it works out great...

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could use a Collins dipole ant. rig...We use it for the UHF/VHF rigs, we use with the AN/WSC-3 V (6) radio;s we use at the site....Currently we have 16 WSC;s for send /Rec here at Great Lakes ET A school....also use a auto Coupler to run 4 WSC's to one Dipole Collins ant. Have used the single ant rigs to 1 WSC-3 and it works out great...
I'd be interested to see a pic of that antenna setup if you can post one or link to one. I still have a lot to learn, but I'm getting there a little at a time. I have very little knowledge about the military radios.

muthabor

Hi,
I just purchased the Harris antenna, I can confirm it's excellent for 144-148 and 430-440MHz ranges. Not tested it yeton the HF port, I want to try with a tuner for the 3-30MHZ .
Not sure if I can post the link here, search eBay for "Harris RF-3183-AT013 30-512MHz HMMWV Vehicle Antenna Un-used In Box".

Cheers,

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are a few pictures of what I did:

Duke antenna- stripped.
Modified NMO mount
No-groundplane dual band antenna.

I'll post more of the pictures when I get home.

Attachments

Last edited:

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi,
I just purchased the Harris antenna, I can confirm it's excellent for 144-148 and 430-440MHz ranges. Not tested it yeton the HF port, I want to try with a tuner for the 3-30MHZ .
Not sure if I can post the link here, search eBay for "Harris RF-3183-AT013 30-512MHz HMMWV Vehicle Antenna Un-used In Box".

Cheers,
I'm using a Harris RF 390 which has the diplexer built in, so only one coax hookup on the bottom of the base. It may have slightly high SWR on 2 meter since my Icom ID-800h would cut the power back to mid (15w). No problems on 70cm band though. I haven't tried putting it on an analyzer to see what the actual SWR is for that range, but it still works great. I haven't looked at any published charts for the Harris RF 3183 to see what the SWR plots should be. Any idea where it is on 2m and 70cm bands?

muthabor

I can not give you the SWR figures, I did not measured back then as I gave my SWR meter to some friend. I will check next week and post the results. I tested with 50W VHF and 35W UHF, the power was not cut and I was able to connect remote repeaters with excellent reports.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some follow-up to my Duke antenna install. I picked up a pretty good SWR meter and here are the results. Much better than I was expecting, especially given it's a pre-tuned antenna and it's inside that thick tube.

SWRVHF.jpgSWRUHF.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks