• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your MKT this week???

CGarbee

I picked up a new cutting to replace the missing one on my new trailer. I got it at Sam's for $9, it's almost the right size.
Yep, that same cutting board from Sam's found a home in my MKT as well...

I have larger ones that I use on the counter (actually, three depending on what is being cut...), but it is nice to have a solid surface on that cabinet.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I picked up a new cutting to replace the missing one on my new trailer. I got it at Sam's for $9, it's almost the right size.
I have a GI one there, but use it as a lid/general work surface. We use the full color set (white-bread; red-raw meat;brown-cooked meat;blue-seafood;yellow-poultry;green-veggies) for actually cutting stuff up.

therooster2001

We are taking the big guy and the MKT on a short / close to home base camping trip to ensure we trial run a longer trip. We bought a futon off Craigslist to have in the back, and will be taking the RAK30 out for a test run as well. My question is who has used the ovens for baking? The double boiler is easy, but I was thinking bread or biscuits. I don't know how the racks suspend. Any one have a picture or better diagram, I just can't wrap my head around it. I have one other dinner that I haven't planned, any suggestions? First night is steak...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jasonjc

I'll put them in and get you some pic tonight. The bottom one just slides in, the center hangs off 4 chains that hook in holes up by the lid and the top just lays in on the top. This is all just off the top of my head , I mite be wrong:roll:. I'll get the pic's.:wink:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did some biscuits and cookies in mine when I had it. The tough thing is keeping the temperature constant and keeping an eye on it. I got a probe thermometer and just stuck it in one of the vents to have an idea what the temp was and adjusted the burner as needed. Everything turned out pretty good.

therooster2001

Thanks Jason, I read about it, but I'm a visual guy. I think I am missing the chains, but will probably be able to get something worked out. Wife is a baker so need to get this one working.

Mkcoen, great idea on the probe, I have a laser one, but that's not really going to work on a closed oven...

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The chains for the middle rack hook into the four tabs in the top (2 on each side). The heavy solid sheet is to even out the heat in the bottom of the oven, and there is a right way to put it in (front and rear tabs should be the same as the middle rack). The top rack is really designed to be a proofing rack, and that's the way I use it. With the MBU's I generally have them set around 2 or 3 o'clock to produce about 350-375 on the middle rack according to the infrared digital thermometer (non contact type, available from Harbor Freight for about $25 - does double duty checking hubs). When cooking biscuits in the mornings, first get it up to temp, then put the first tray of biscuits in the top, then get the second and third trays ready (Ga Rally crowd usually takes 4 or 5 trays - 80-100). Check on the first tray, if the biscuits are getting larger and are glistening, they are ready to move to the middle rack for baking. One way to speed up things is to put your 'extra' tray on top of the oven so it is warming up before it goes into the top to be proofed. Be advised, the oven may not have an even heat, so some biscuits may get over done while others have not browned at all. It is something you will have to experiment with. HTH.

jasonjc

Here the pic's of the racks. The oven I used for the pic's does not have the hole in the tabs for the chains , yet. The bottom one is thick 1/8" stainless steel the other two are thinner aluminum.

Attachments

therooster2001

Wow, i guess that's why I needed those Picts. I don't have any of those shelves! I might have the top, but it looks like a insert holder, but bet will work the same. They might be in the MKT and I overlooked it. Are they stowed some place special?

Too late for this trip, but does anyone have any spares of those? I have those 1/2 sheet pans, no wonder why those things don't fit. Thanks Jason, that totally helped.

Last edited:

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, i guess that's why I needed those Picts. I don't have any of those shelves! I might have the top, but it looks like a insert holder, but bet will work the same. They might be in the MKT and I overlooked it. Are they stowed some place special?

Too late for this trip, but does anyone have any spares of those? I have those 1/2 sheet pans, no wonder why those things don't fit. Thanks Jason, that totally helped.
That is known as the Auxiliary Baking Set. It's not part of the MKT and had to be requisitioned for those units that wanted one. I have two for my MKT that I purchased five or six years ago from someone who won a group of them from GL. They do come up from time to time, so do a search for one or a couple.

therooster2001

I got the trailer temp registered barely in time after a failed wait from GP for the SF97 (boo on that one), the DMV got me a temp pass, first county said no, the other said yes. I really wanted to be legal on the road.

My MKT didn't come with lights, so I got this one at Home Depot. They are linkable, and super bright. This one was $40, and they have a cheaper 3 ft one for like $20, but this worked great.

The MKT worked flawlessly on the camping trip. Overkill for two people, but nothing like a full kitchen and not having to mess with those tiny Coleman stoves and propane. Nothing like diesel fumes in the morning...

We even did 5-ton crepes.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The MKT worked flawlessly on the camping trip. Overkill for two people, but nothing like a full kitchen and not having to mess with those tiny Coleman stoves and propane. Nothing like diesel fumes in the morning...
It's not so much "overkill" as the time to set up and tear down. Of course if it's a whole weekend not so bad as it would be just to set up for breakfast :)

Another Ahab

We even did 5-ton crepes.
That's really funny to tow that MKT to cook for two.

But I'll tell you what, from the looks of it you are totally nailing it on those 5-ton crêpes! :drool:

Last edited:

therooster2001

It's not so much "overkill" as the time to set up and tear down. Of course if it's a whole weekend not so bad as it would be just to set up for breakfast :)
Yup, whole weekend (Sat through Monday) 2 Dinners, 2 lunches, 2 breakfasts... We even used the MWMULES RAK30 to make steel cut oats off the 24v slave port, and it worked pretty good. SLOW, but good. It kept cycling on and off, which I assume was done so it wouldn't get that hot that quick and be a fire hazard, but 45 minutes later, we had yumminess. It was on the last day as we were tearing things down. We have done the one meal setup and tear down before, and I agree, it's a little silly.

Ahab, the wife had a hankering for something sweet as a snack, so I grabbed some cherries, sugar, water, and the crepe batter, and the griddle didn't let us down. We only did 2 and the second one came out way better than the picture of the first. We own a french bakery so she wanted to see if we could do the crepes in case we wanted to do an event with the 5 ton. so voila, 5-ton crepes were born. Thanks!

Another Ahab

Ahab, the wife had a hankering for something sweet as a snack, so I grabbed some cherries, sugar, water, and the crepe batter, and the griddle didn't let us down. We only did 2 and the second one came out way better than the picture of the first. We own a french bakery so she wanted to see if we could do the crepes in case we wanted to do an event with the 5 ton. so voila, 5-ton crepes were born. Thanks!
I don't know why that is exactly, but it's the Pancake Rule and it's always true; the first one comes out ugly and the rest do fine.

My youngest daughter always volunteers for "First Pancake" duty; claims they taste all the same, and that way she avoids the wait.

Digger09

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had a birthday party at the house for my daughter and 50 of her friends plus parents so I did a couple rounds of burgers and dogs plus corn. It was a big hit. 20160604_154102.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks