• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your MKT this week???

Digger09

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes next time I am putting on my second griddle. I need to try baking something one of these days. I have all the parts that were included in the baking set so well see. I will be my own guinea pig for that. What are you guys doing as far as boiling water? What I mean is what method has the fastest results.

jasonjc

So far I've found a big pot with the lid on. I too want to bake. I've wondered about pizza???

I just though of something. Back in my school days we had pizza that they made on big pans about the size of the MKT pans.?.

Last edited:

Another Ahab

So far I've found a big pot with the lid on. I too want to bake. I've wondered about pizza???
During my college years, I worked in a bake shop for my beer money. I loved that work (well, except for the starting hours).

A guy named Jay Truitt there was the head baker. I learned from him that baking is NOT exactly like cooking:

- You got to measure out the ingredients for each recipe EXACTLY.

- None of this "a pinch" here, or "a smidgeon" there stuff. 2cents

Last edited:

Digger09

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I just though of something. Back in my school days we had pizza that they made on big pans about the size of the MKT pans.?.
We must have went to the same school. I remember that pizza being really thin. It would probably cook in 5 minutes.

jasonjc

We must have went to the same school. I remember that pizza being really thin. It would probably cook in 5 minutes.
The same USDA recipe I bet. But now they have to use whole wheat flour , yuk! I'll have to check with the cooks and see I they have the old recipe.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes next time I am putting on my second griddle. I need to try baking something one of these days. I have all the parts that were included in the baking set so well see. I will be my own guinea pig for that. What are you guys doing as far as boiling water? What I mean is what method has the fastest results.
On baking: Adjust the temp with an infrared thermometer aimed at the hanging sheet, proof anything that has yeast in it by putting it in the top shelf (or on top of the oven if you have several to do) so that it starts rising before it's cooked.
On Boiling Water: always do it in the oven, with a lid on the pot. Here's a story to illustrate that point. Year before I joined the local club they tried to make spaghetti on the MKT, with the pot on the grill bars - took them two hours to get the pot boiling and about 20 minutes to cook the spaghetti. Using the pot in the oven my first year, I had a 12 gallon rolling boil in less than 25 minutes and 'al dente' spaghetti in another seven. YMMV.

Digger09

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used a square pot with the lid on the grill bars for the water this time and it came up to boil in about 20 minutes and I didnt have the burner on full blast. I figured it would get hotter quicker since it covered more burner surface than a round pot. Next time definitely going to try the oven.

Another Ahab

I used a square pot with the lid on the grill bars for the water this time and it came up to boil in about 20 minutes and I didnt have the burner on full blast. I figured it would get hotter quicker since it covered more burner surface than a round pot. Next time definitely going to try the oven.
I used to the "pot man" in the dishwashing section of a big institutional kitchen. I'd clean the big stuff; pots, slicers, bake pans, that kind of thing.

It was one of my first jobs while i was still in high school ("pot man"; yeah. I know everybody wants to make a joke, "smoke 'em if you got 'em" yuk-yuk; I heard them all):

- I can see how being square the pot might take the heat more efficiently off the burner (and for "cooking" water, that's fine).

- But any other use, a square pot presents a nightmare for the person who has to clean it (in fact I never even heard of one before now).

I'd hate to be the guy tasked to clean the inside corners of a square pot with baked-on food stuck to it from cooking. Talk about misery, that would be it.

Last edited:

therooster2001

I drove the 5-ton down with the MKT today. We are doing a festival tomorrow. As we tried out, we are doing 5-ton crepes. Savory and sweet. Just bummed they won't let the truck hang out by the MKT, they would just sell themself. Wife worked with the health department, and besides several safety and sanitary items (like changing out utensils every 2 hours) and us already having a mobile hand washing station, they gave us the green light to use the MKT as we use our bakery as the commissary kitchen. Things may vary in your area, but we got approved to use the MKT. WHOOHOO!! We are actually helping out a friend who is putting on the festival. Its supposed to get around 4,000 people, and we expect to serve about 250-300 people (which is the spec for using the kitchen) :p The festival is BBQ and blues, but we definitely are staying within our bounds and doing the savory / sweet items we do in the shop, not BBQ, which I could pull off, but would have to make some MKT mods to get my smoker in there. I got a second griddle from Jason, so will show this off. Plenty of picts to come, including hopefully a GoPro time lapse of setup. It will be fun, and we get to use our iron. I also got 3 MBU's from OK as spares, but also planning on doing a "Spartan kitchen" with them.

Spartan Kitchen:
http://www.quartermaster.army.mil/jccoe/publications/Food_Advisors_Corner/Team_Kitchen(82ndABRNE).pdf

Our banner (3x5) which is going up on the tent...
5toncrepejpg.jpg

Another Ahab

I drove the 5-ton down with the MKT today. Wife worked with the health department, and besides several safety and sanitary items (like changing out utensils every 2 hours) and us already having a mobile hand washing station, they gave us the green light to use the MKT as we use our bakery as the commissary kitchen. Things may vary in your area, but we got approved to use the MKT. WHOOHOO!! We are actually helping out a friend who is putting on the festival. Its supposed to get around 4,000 people, and we expect to serve about 250-300 people (which is the spec for using the kitchen) :p The festival is BBQ and blues, but we definitely are staying within our bounds and doing the savory / sweet items we do in the shop, not BBQ,
What is the town in Colorado where the festival is being held?

therooster2001

Its Edgewater, right outside of Denver.

http://bluesnbbq.com

Last year they had a GREAT young artist, who I swear (blasphemy intended) was Stevie Ray Vaughn incarnated. This was actually him in 2012 (he was 16). Funny video as in the first couple of seconds you'll hear a chick say "oh Sxxx, you're his mom?) Seriously, Mom is at every concert, she sells the CD's. Funny stuff. He's got great "guitar face"... He's played the blues challenges, and a SRV tribute. I've seen him about 5 times already. I get to cook in the MKT and have tunes the whole day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6vwR7oCH8s

In this one, he was 15!!!
2M3A4biVOOs

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Its Edgewater, right outside of Denver.

Last year they had a GREAT young artist, who I swear (blasphemy intended) was Stevie Ray Vaughn incarnated. This was actually him in 2012 (he was 16). Funny video as in the first couple of seconds you'll hear a chick say "oh Sxxx, you're his mom?) Seriously, Mom is at every concert, she sells the CD's.

:3dAngus:

That was him at 15 and 16 years old?

WHERE did all of that come from!??

Ten more years and some real pain and heartache, and he might be something...

Either way, he would be one tough act to follow, I'll tell you what.

Last edited:

therooster2001

Another fun fact, the county health department certified the MKT, as long as we prepared our food back in our business kitchen. You could also probably do this in a commissary kitchen. Check the hand washing station on the back in the picture above...

We also used the slave cable to drive the MBU's as the event had no power, we ran 2 burners for four hours no problem, truck started right up.

IMG_2371.jpg

Just because Ahab will ask, the best seller was Ham and Swiss with peppers or the Roast Beef and cheddar followed by Bananas Foster.

Last edited:

therooster2001

Ok, bumping this thread up with a small cooking event we just did for our garage neighbors. I have two griddles (thanks Jason) but only needed one, and did up brats and some REALLY greasy hamburgers. We also finally got the ovens running, and we did chocolate chip cookies of course. Remember we own a bakery, so this was REALLY key for me. No issues with the MBU's, as a restart of the burner (sometimes happens with the griddle ones) would fill the oven up with diesel smoke and make the cookies last terrible. No picts of them after, we ate them too quick.

Two picts, flash and without, so you can see the flame and the cookie goodness..

IMG_9611.jpg
IMG_9610.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks